Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Velsharoon and his 7 rituals to immortality
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vetrinus
Acolyte

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  18:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Vetrinus's Homepage Send Vetrinus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi guys,

do somebody exactly know which these 7 rituals were or in which FR lecture I have to look them up?

It would be awsome if you could give me any piece of information about Velsharoon, is history, dogma or anything else in which he maybe is involved

thanks guys

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  19:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the rituals themselves were ever published. Probably because it would tread on some nasty topics (he is the God of Necromancy, after all).

What it really boiled down to was that he had to prove himself worthy of sponsership for godhood. Talos apparently thought he was, because that was Velsharoon's sponser. (You have to have a deific sponser to even be considered for godhood).

Eventually, Velsharoon and Talos had a falling out (mostly because Talos was using him, as expected, and keeping Velsharoon's power in check by siphoning off some for himself) and he switched loyalties to Mystra. Sort of.

If what you are looking for is a way to make a PC into a god, just think up some epic-type quests, geared towrds whatever portfolio he desires, and have at it.

Have fun!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Vetrinus
Acolyte

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  19:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Vetrinus's Homepage Send Vetrinus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mh...I see, but what about a Ritual concerning the transformation into a Lich, Velsharoon himself existes a long time as Lich. Is there any published Ritual to becoming a Lich in some FR book you know?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  19:55:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vetrinus

Mh...I see, but what about a Ritual concerning the transformation into a Lich, Velsharoon himself existes a long time as Lich. Is there any published Ritual to becoming a Lich in some FR book you know?

1e's Lords of Darkness. 2e's Ravenloft material, Van Richten's Guide to the Lich. And it should also be in the 4 book set for arcane spells, the Wizard's Spell Compendiums.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  21:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Necromancy - Beyond the Grave from Moongoose Publishing does contain a Lich ritual, along with the best necromantic fluff collection I have encountered so far...

Sagte doch das Forum lohnt :P

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  01:16:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Vetrinus, you could also create your own ritual for lichdom if you want. After all, there's so many different sorcerers and archmages that became liches throughout the history of Faerun that there are probably more than several different ways to become a lich.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  13:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In what year (DR) did Velsharoon actually attain lichdom, and in which was he elevated to divinity?

This is relevant to my own FR campaign, so some info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance....

(Apropos of the rituals themselves, my suggestion would be to have a look at Van Richten's Guide to the Lich for some ideas.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 26 Jun 2005 13:21:59
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  17:16:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

In what year (DR) did Velsharoon actually attain lichdom, and in which was he elevated to divinity?

This is relevant to my own FR campaign, so some info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance....

(Apropos of the rituals themselves, my suggestion would be to have a look at Van Richten's Guide to the Lich for some ideas.)

It had to be after the date of the module Halls of the High King because he was still a mortal in that module. So before King Tristen stepped down and allowed his daughter to rule..... So between the 1st and 2nd trilogies of the Moonshae novels. Does that help? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  03:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

It had to be after the date of the module Halls of the High King because he was still a mortal in that module. So before King Tristen stepped down and allowed his daughter to rule..... So between the 1st and 2nd trilogies of the Moonshae novels. Does that help? :)

Yes. Darkwell is set in 1346 DR. Prophet of Moonshae is set in 1365. Vel wasn't a deity in 1358 (Time of Troubles), so that means he made the change at some time between 1359 and 1365, inclusive. I researched this once before and I think 1360 had also been ruled out, so it probably happened in 1361-1364. I don't know how much time elapsed between his lichdom and his godhood, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  07:02:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know how much time elapsed between his lichdom and his godhood, though.
Velsharoon achieved demi-godhood at the end of 1368 DR -- at least according to Powers and Pantheons.

His transformation into a lich most likely occured just before his ascension, and immediately after he completed the ritual laid down by Talos. P&P again makes this clear as it stated that the ritual first granted Velsharoon the secrets of lichdom and then allowed his ascension into godhood via the sponsorship of Talos.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  16:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't know how much time elapsed between his lichdom and his godhood, though.
Velsharoon achieved demi-godhood at the end of 1368 DR -- at least according to Powers and Pantheons.

His transformation into a lich most likely occured just before his ascension, and immediately after he completed the ritual laid down by Talos. P&P again makes this clear as it stated that the ritual first granted Velsharoon the secrets of lichdom and then allowed his ascension into godhood via the sponsorship of Talos.

Oh, my short memory! It's on page 76. Thank you very much. That means that he became a lich at some point between 1346 and and 1368, with a strong possibility that lichdom was part of his ascension in 1368. Since Powers and Pantheons suggests that his ascension was to balance Kelemvor's, that reinforces the dating of Crucible to 1368.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  03:04:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, my short memory! It's on page 76. Thank you very much. That means that he became a lich at some point between 1346 and and 1368, with a strong possibility that lichdom was part of his ascension in 1368. Since Powers and Pantheons suggests that his ascension was to balance Kelemvor's, that reinforces the dating of Crucible to 1368.
I'm assuming that Velsharoon's transformation into a lich was part of the ritual, as P&P states. There's little lore available that actually contradicts what is written in P&P regarding the transformation, so it's a (partially) justified claim.

Of course, it is interesting to speculate also. If the transformation was a necessary part of the ritual laid down by the Lord of Storms, then why did Talos deem that lichdom was to be a component of the ritual? Without direct lore on the subject, we can also assume that Velsharoon's transformation was something he undertook on his own long before completing the Talos ritual. If the lichdom aspect of the ritual was actually a necessary stage in the ascension, did that influence what position Velsharoon would occupy in the pantheon, or was it, like P&P said, a decision by Ao to create a balance against Kelemvor?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  16:18:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Melfius,

Ironic in light of the "cleansing" of a community in Chondalwood in 1362DR by the Emerald Enclave, but they won't expound on this kind of material.

I wish they would. That's part of the richness. I mean, BoVD was made, and generally I like it. Brings many bad things to light in order to appreciate just how bad, the bad guys are in campaigns.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

I don't think that the rituals themselves were ever published. Probably because it would tread on some nasty topics (he is the God of Necromancy, after all).

What it really boiled down to was that he had to prove himself worthy of sponsership for godhood. Talos apparently thought he was, because that was Velsharoon's sponser. (You have to have a deific sponser to even be considered for godhood).

Eventually, Velsharoon and Talos had a falling out (mostly because Talos was using him, as expected, and keeping Velsharoon's power in check by siphoning off some for himself) and he switched loyalties to Mystra. Sort of.

If what you are looking for is a way to make a PC into a god, just think up some epic-type quests, geared towrds whatever portfolio he desires, and have at it.

Have fun!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Darkheyr,

Thank you for that! I am definitely going to check that out right away. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Necromancy - Beyond the Grave from Moongoose Publishing does contain a Lich ritual, along with the best necromantic fluff collection I have encountered so far...

Sagte doch das Forum lohnt :P

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  16:22:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master DDH_101,

I have to admit, that is likely the best way to go. Include BoVD material, and runic circle magic to make it frickin' unbelievable awesome! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

quote:

Vetrinus, you could also create your own ritual for lichdom if you want. After all, there's so many different sorcerers and archmages that became liches throughout the history of Faerun that there are probably more than several different ways to become a lich.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000