Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Predictions on WOTSQ conclusion (SPOILERS)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  05:13:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, despite my disappointment with Annihilation, I still find myself eagerly looking forward to the upcoming publication of Resurrection by Paul Kemp which will conclude the War of the Spider Queen series.

As this series nears an end, I'm curious as to what fellow scribes think will happen. Since the publication of the first novel in this series, I've heard all sorts of theories on how it will conclude. Some of the ones I recall include:

Lolth dies (wishful thinking I think rather than a prediction but I've read it)

Lolth is diminished in power

Lolth grows in power

Lolth grows in power and her followers begin to come to the surface

Lolth grows in power and challenges Corellon

One of the party members from the series becomes the new face of Lolth

And I'm sure I could go on. But, those are the ones just off the top of my head that I recall seeing. But, I'm curious as to what others think that have been following the series. What are your predictions for how the series will end? And what are your predictions as to the fate of some of the characters featured in this series?

SB

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 23 Mar 2005 19:03:53

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  05:36:24  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that it's most likely that the Spider Queen will grow in power. I don't think that she'll go to the surface, as that was never her plan and I don't think she can have the power to challenge Corellon either, even if she becomes a Greater Power.

I also think (and hope) that Quenthel will become a Chosen of Lolth, or at least the most powerful of her church.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  06:31:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lolth dies: Unlikely, a very low chance of this happaning

Lolth is diminished in power: Strong Maybe

Lolth grows in power: Strong maybe the WOSQ series is a Dark series without any real hero most of the major characters are blatently evil.

Lolth grows in power and her followers begin to come to the surface: Unlikely as Vhaeruns already causing trouble on the surface and if all the Drow head for the surface i would mean the drow theme would continue and I think where going to see Dragons or surface Elves taking centre stage for the next couple of years

Lolth grows in power and challenges Corellon: I doubt it, I give a stronger chance of Lolth killing one or both of her Children

One of the party members from the series becomes the new face of Lolth: Strong maybe although I suspect Halistria and Quentel may end up kill one or the other

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  07:13:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
I also think (and hope) that Quenthel will become a Chosen of Lolth, or at least the most powerful of her church.

You think so? I'd say by the prologues, that Danifae has a better chance of that or being the new face of the Spider Queen.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  10:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

You think so? I'd say by the prologues, that Danifae has a better chance of that or being the new face of the Spider Queen.

I'd agree with you there, Sirius.

I'd be quite sad when the series ends, its been amazing, the first three books are very well done.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  20:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I REALLY hope Nimor, Dyrr and Kaanyr die...and Agrach Dyrr is razed to the ground...oh, yeah, that tool Jeggred dying horribly too..
Even if Kaanyr lives, wouldn't be die when Hellgate goes boom?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  21:32:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess

Lolth will not die the signs are clear she survives.

Lolth will be more powerful by virture of having personal plane.

Lolth will expand surface efforts.

Lolth will not yet take on the "Good" Elven deities.

If either of the children are defeated or killed it will be the son, Lolth taking over control of that portfolio indirectly or directly.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  00:09:07  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see Pharaun become the new face of Lloth.What better way to create more chaos than favoring the males.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  00:42:37  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Yes, I suppose Danifae has a good chance, as she proved herself to be quite the resourceful drow in the series. However, Quenthel has been granted special favours from Lolth and I really don't think it was a concidence that she got resurrected after being killed by Drizzt. I mean, Lolth must have a special calling for her if the Spider Queen was willing to resurrect her follower.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  04:58:50  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More power and I think we may see another surface invasion, perhaps a "large" but unimportant city.

But it all does explain the change to the planes.. just wish it'd happened SOONER then 3 years later.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  07:35:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I would like to see Pharaun become the new face of Lloth.What better way to create more chaos than favoring the males.

Quenthel and Pharaun need to end up together. What a loving couple they'd make. Perfect to start a new noble house.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  07:38:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, I suppose Danifae has a good chance, as she proved herself to be quite the resourceful drow in the series. However, Quenthel has been granted special favours from Lolth and I really don't think it was a concidence that she got resurrected after being killed by Drizzt. I mean, Lolth must have a special calling for her if the Spider Queen was willing to resurrect her follower.

Indeed, a very good point. My biggest argument for Danifae occurs in one of the prologues of a novel in the series. In it, the consciousness of Lolth reflects on something to the effect that it isn't the strongest spider that will survive or the most powerful. Rather, it was the one that knew when to fight and choose when to strike. Or something like that. The moment I read that I began to think of Danifae who up until the last novel had been laying low waiting for a chance to strike.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  19:42:43  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, perhaps now that the two female drow have recovered their divine powers, they might duel each other in a battle of priestly magic. Then the survivor of the outcome would become the Chosen of Lolth or at least the matriach (sp?) of Lolth's Church.

Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  20:27:06  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you think Triel will have a part to play?
Go to Top of Page

Freakboy
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  02:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Freakboy's Homepage Send Freakboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My biggest fear with the ending is that Halisstra succeeds. I just think the idea of her challenging Lolth feels forced. I do however have high hopes for the conclusion with Paul Kemp writing. I liked his Erivis Cale work and am really looking forward to what he will do with our favorite band of drow heros.

As for Lolth... I think it is very very likely that Danifae will in some way become part of Lolth. Either her new physical manifestation or chosen or something. Quenthel was really written in such a way that you get the idea she is a total moron who is weak and arrogant in a bad way. Personally I don't think that is very realistic for one of the 3 most powerful drow in House Baenre and a priestess who has spent time as a Yochlol. I suppose it could have been the writing in the last book (which I didn't care for very much) but it seems that Quenthel is being set up for a huge letdown and Danifae is going to sneak in as the whatever it is Lolth has in mind.

You almost get the idea that Lolth is the one who set into motion the group of Drow that are now knocking on the doorstep of the demonweb. Further it seems reasonable that the prologues are metaphors for the Drow in our band as they develop until only the most crafty and strong remain. Time will tell. Still I love the series and can't wait for the books release in the next few months.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  05:37:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sirius, perhaps now that the two female drow have recovered their divine powers, they might duel each other in a battle of priestly magic. Then the survivor of the outcome would become the Chosen of Lolth or at least the matriach (sp?) of Lolth's Church.

Entirely possible. Go and demand answers from Paul Kemp on his thread. He can provide a useful hint at least.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  05:41:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Freakboy

My biggest fear with the ending is that Halisstra succeeds. I just think the idea of her challenging Lolth feels forced.

Well, with his name slapped on the front of every book and via his role as consulting editor, R.A. Salvatore had to feel comfortable with the outline of this series. I just do not in any way, shape, or form see him allowing Lolth to be killed.

quote:

You almost get the idea that Lolth is the one who set into motion the group of Drow that are now knocking on the doorstep of the demonweb.

Well, interesting that two of them had direct contact with their goddess.

quote:

Further it seems reasonable that the prologues are metaphors for the Drow in our band as they develop until only the most crafty and strong remain.

Exactly, one theory I strongly consider.

quote:

Still I love the series and can't wait for the books release in the next few months.

Here's hoping it is released earlier like other FR novels. I see every online vendor has a publication date as May while WOTC still says April.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  09:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good idea. Hey maybe Drizzt could get ....hrhr

Many books before, Gromph told to himself, that he wants a town ruled by males.
Hey Gromph, when will you start the revolution?
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  18:15:17  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My whole thing is this.Lolth may have disappeared for a while,but she was still watching.She comes to realize that she is losing worshipers (the males),therefore losing power.Now there will be males as priests.Crazy idea,but it would be fun.To add onto what SB was saying,with a little twist to it.Pharuan will now be granted divine spells,and will be high priest of Lolth.Quenthel comes back,and kills Triel.Hey!Someone gotta go!Quenthel becomes high priestess.And then Boom!!You have your hookup...................Not a chance....But it does have potential....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  20:59:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Pharuan will now be granted divine spells,and will be high priest of Lolth.Quenthel comes back,and kills Triel.Hey!Someone gotta go!Quenthel becomes high priestess.And then Boom!!You have your hookup...................Not a chance....But it does have potential....

I believe each character would consider such a situation his/her version of hell. Hmm, then again with the Spider Queen involved....
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  22:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Pharaun would bed a balor before he bedded Quenthel...doesn't even have to be a female Balor...
Now, what do you think'll have to the Chaulssin, Dyrr and Kaanyr? And if Kaanyr survives won't he go bye bye when Hellgate Keep goes boom?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  23:20:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Dyrr is dead already, so there's nothing much to expand on that lich.

As for Chaulssin and Kaanyr, I think that they would receive a punishment from Lolth of some kind, along with the duegars of Grackstugh. It might be done as a way of "flexing Lolth's muscles" to show the readers the power she received from her silence.

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  23:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gromph seems to have doubts about Dyrr's final death...he said Dyrr wasn't ;quite' gone yet
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  04:09:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but that was because Dyrr's phalatyeral (sp?) needed to be found inorder to actually destroy the lich drow. However, since the priestesses of Lolth regained their powers and House Dyrr doesn't have the powerful lich backing them, the House will fall and with it the the phalatyeral.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  03:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did they really need a six-book series to explain away the 3rd Ed changes?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  03:58:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Did they really need a six-book series to explain away the 3rd Ed changes?

What?
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  04:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole "Lolth's plane is no longer in the Abyss, it's now a seperate plane" thing.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  05:30:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

The whole "Lolth's plane is no longer in the Abyss, it's now a seperate plane" thing.

You believe the series was designed solely to explain that one detail?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  05:51:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's just for a 3E change. If it's that simple, then they could have just added it to Player's Guide to Faerun and leave it at that. There's no way WotC would make an epic 6 book series just for one little change of rule.

WotSQ impacts drow society, culture and religion as a result of Lolth's silence. There's gotta be more changes than just merely the SPider Queen changing her address.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  05:57:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
WotSQ impacts drow society, culture and religion as a result of Lolth's silence. There's gotta be more changes than just merely the SPider Queen changing her address.

If I'm understanding Melfius correctly, perhaps he will be right and that's the sole change. I will certainly be disappointed if that's the case. Although I said when this series first started that I would be very surprised if R.A. Salvatore was part of any major change to drow society.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  08:44:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the following bit of information from Paul Kemp regarding the upcoming novel over at this forum

quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b) with Resurrection did you find that it was more or less difficult to hit all of the predermined events/plot markers??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estel,

There was really only one predetermined plot point, so I wouldn't characterize it as hard to hit, and it fit with how I would have done things even if given free reign. So, as you can see, things turned out pretty well. :-)

I found that interesting, that there was only one plot point the author had to stick to. Now granted that might be a big one like "Lolth takes over the universe." But, I find it hopeful that perhaps a talented author was left free to perhaps bring something new to the table as far as this series' conclusion.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000