Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Everybody Needs to Mint Coins
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  13:28:59  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In my campaign, Daggerdale does not mint their own coins. Coins that are used in Daggerdale are minted in Cormyr, Hillsfar, Sembia, and Zhentil Keep. However, I have also added Highmoon as it is the biggest community in the Dalelands, a Large Town of 3,505 inhabitants.

Now, I discovered that the Brightblade dwarves produce silver bars worth 250 sp.

Would your Daggerdale mint their own coin? How about the other Dales and Moonsea city states?

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  14:21:57  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another questions for you folks ... What are the names of the coins from Zhentil Keep?

I have never seen names. Therefore, long time ago, I decided to call the zhentish coins for zhentish shields. In addition, I decided that all the prices, at least in Zhentil Keep (ZK), or when talking about prices with a zhentish merchant, would be in copper pieces. For example, if a player would like to buy a very fine zhentish longsword (15 gp x 2) in Zhentil Keep, then the swordsmith would ask for 3,000 shields, if not more. Players, used to buy items valued in gold pieces, or silver pieces, would be a bit confused, and that is fine, as the PCs might be for there first time in ZK.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  15:04:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

In my campaign, Daggerdale does not mint their own coins. Coins that are used in Daggerdale are minted in Cormyr, Hillsfar, Sembia, and Zhentil Keep. However, I have also added Highmoon as it is the biggest community in the Dalelands, a Large Town of 3,505 inhabitants.

Now, I discovered that the Brightblade dwarves produce silver bars worth 250 sp.

Would your Daggerdale mint their own coin? How about the other Dales and Moonsea city states?

The minting of coins tends to be a city or nation project. Off hand I do not believe that the Dales would mint their coin. In the game world a lump of gold that weighes the same as gold coin has the same value (as oposed to Real World). The reason for minting coins is just ease of use and a nation or city verifing that the coin is pure and of standard weight. That the coin has not been debased (mixed with lessor value metal). Of course most merchants will use scales to determine if the coin is conterfitted and certainly will test any strange coin that they should be persented.

The silver bars are made for ease of transport and sometimes for use to make expensive items. Of course the Draves also assure that they are pure silver.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  15:17:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the currency in Zhentil Keep has a specific name as such. They may be occasionally referred to as 'Zhentish Gold', but there really hasn't been anything specifically said about the coinage in Zhentil Keep. I don't see anything specific in either the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set, nor my archives.

There is a particular reference though, in the boxed set that states -
quote:
"Unless one has sufficient gold, raising and supporting a family well in Zhentil Keep is hard."
It's not much I know, but it's one of the first true references to the coinage of the city simply being considered an average "gold piece".

Perhaps you'd do better asking this question in the Ed Greenwood scroll. I'd also be interested in any forthcoming answer to this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  16:46:46  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zentil keep does mint it´s own coins: the third story in "four from cormyr" (the one that features the "murder" of a cormyrean noble) states that Angar, one of the band of murderers, has several goldpieces of zentile mint in his backpack, and that every purple dragon or warmage will recognize them as currency of this city.

i can´t give a direct quote or a pagenumber for the english version, but can be found in the 2nd book (featuring part 3 & 4) of the german on p.32 version, in the middle of the left column:

quote:
In Angars Rucksack befinden sich mehrere Goldmünzen fremder Prägung. Jedes Mitglied der Purpurdrachen oder der Kriegsmagier erkennt sie als Währung aus der Zentilfeste.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  20:07:23  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks!

Time ago, when I tought about minting of coins, I tought the same as you Kentinal. However, living in Sweden, and knowing a bit of its history, gave me a too good name for "dalish coins". You see, in Sweden, there is a region named Dalarna (Eng. Dalarna or Dalecarlia, but, a translation could also be The Dales). And, in Sweden, in old times, there was a coin named "daler". Thus, i just had to use "silverdaler". So, I browsed through FR source books in search for a proper plaze to mint coins. The choise fell on Highmoon. I assume that I choosed the town for its seize and for its wall.

Back then, I hade no history to the Dalish coin, but today, I made up the following:

"For many hundred years ago, the lords of the Dales, agreed on having a common coin for the Dales. They spent many hours dicussing the issue, and they finally agreed on letting Highmoon mint the common coin. Not beeing as rich as the kingdom of Cormyr, the minting was limited to a silver coin with the same value as the Cormyrian silver falcons."

And, what about the reason for minting Dalish coins? Well, what about strengthening the union? And how about letting something like that happen in the times of Aencar. Lets say that the Dales agree on having a common coin, and uniting under Aencar from Battledale as king. However, letting him have his "face" in one side of the coin could be a bit too much. So, the dalesmen agree on having the stading stone instead. Thus, the dalish coins could alse be called "silver stones". Now, complots from old time, could be that the Zhentarim decides to mint false "silverdaler" (coins that are woth less than a silver falcon, or mint coins with the "face" of Aencar in hope of creating conflicts between the dales as Deepingdale and Battleddale have not honored the agreement of minting coins without the face of the king.

And, about Zhentish coins, I remember that I choosed the name based on the following:

- The computer game Civilization shows shields when structures are beeing built.
- There are countries that call, or have called, their money for "escudos", Spanish for shields.

And, I decided to talk about gold shield, silver shields, and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  23:17:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi folks!

Time ago, when I tought about minting of coins, I tought the same as you Kentinal. However, living in Sweden, and knowing a bit of its history, gave me a too good name for "dalish coins". You see, in Sweden, there is a region named Dalarna (Eng. Dalarna or Dalecarlia, but, a translation could also be The Dales). And, in Sweden, in old times, there was a coin named "daler". Thus, i just had to use "silverdaler". So, I browsed through FR source books in search for a proper plaze to mint coins. The choise fell on Highmoon. I assume that I choosed the town for its seize and for its wall.

It sounds good and of course the realms do not follow Real World model in many respects. Highmoon sounds like the best place to mint.

The rest, deleted, sound good as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:23:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

...has several goldpieces of zentile mint in his backpack, and that every purple dragon or warmage will recognize them as currency of this city.
Oh, I'd missed that particular reference. Good catch tauster .

Although, the fact that the coins are easily recognisable, even in Cormyr, suggests a highly stylised design. Perhaps this would still be an interesting question to ask Ed over in his scroll.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  06:33:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm intrigued by this question of coinage in the city of Zhentil Keep, I've taken the liberty of asking the question over in Ed's scroll myself.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  08:35:25  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Although, the fact that the coins are easily recognisable, even in Cormyr, suggests a highly stylised design. Perhaps this would still be an interesting question to ask Ed over in his scroll.

i don´t think they´re "easily recognisable", since in that case everyone would immediately recognise them, not only "every purple dragon or warmage". members of both groups might be more educated in things like foreign currencies, as they tend to travel around more than the general populace, but in the adventure, there are lots of adventures (who tend to get around even more than purple dragons and warmages) and nobles (who tend to be even more learned in all things "coiny")...

i wonder whether that particular sentence was intended to point toward the "foreign" character of the coins or to show the "educated supremacy" of purple dragons (duty at cormyrs border = tollhouses => exposure to foreign currency...) and warmages.

...perhaps the sentence was just badly worded, or i read too much into it.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  08:36:30  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

i don´t think they´re "easily recognisable", since in that case everyone would immediately recognise them, not only "every purple dragon or warmage". members of both groups might be more educated in things like foreign currencies, as they tend to travel around more than the general populace, but in the adventure, there are lots of adventurers (who tend to get around even more than purple dragons and warmages) and nobles (who tend to be even more learned in all things "coiny")...

i wonder whether that particular sentence was intended to point toward the "foreign" character of the coins or to show the "educated supremacy" of purple dragons (duty at cormyrs border = tollhouses => exposure to foreign currency...) and warmages.

...perhaps the sentence was just badly worded, or i read too much into it.

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  18:59:41  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The following is a write-up from my homepage:
quote:
About Silver Dales and Dalelands Pennies
What follows is noncanon.

In the town of Highmoon is a for the Dales common coin called silver dales (dsd) minted. The minting of this coin begun in the days of Aencar the Mantled King. The coin has the same value as a Cormyrian silver falcon, and is also called silver stones, because of the picture of the standing stone that is minted in one side of the coin.
In addition to the silver dales, the use of Dalelands copper pennies (dcp), is common. One hundred pennies are equal to one silver dale. There are several different types of pennies, with the most common (65%) coin having the value of 10 pennies (dcp10), the more uncommon coins (20%) have the value of 20 pennies (dcp20), and there exists also coins that are worth 5 pennies (4%) (dcp5) and 1 penny (11%) (dcp1).

Now, you might wounder what you can buy for one or two pennies in the Dalelands. If you vist Mistledale, there is a village in eastern Mistledale that is named Ildulguard. And there, there is an inn named The Devils Landing Inn. For four pennies, you get a mug of waterish ale, and for one penny you can get a half loaf of hard bread. Isn't life good?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  19:19:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the town of Highmoon is a for the Dales common coin called silver dales (dsd) minted.

Advise changing to:

In the town of Highmoon is a mint for the Dales common coin called the
silver dales (dsd).

I believe that is what you mean to convey and it scans a little easier.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 15 May 2005 19:21:20
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  19:25:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might want to "henge in" "for the Dales" with two commas as well.
Like so: In the town of Highmoon is a mint, for the Dales, common coin called the silver dales (dsd).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  19:37:59  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks!

But, I think what you write sounds ... strange

Now, English is not my Language, so I am pretty confused to what I have written, and your suggestions. Still, it is pretty clear that I need to rewrite that sentence

More help, any?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  19:39:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Might want to "henge in" "for the Dales" with two commas as well.
Like so: In the town of Highmoon is a mint, for the Dales, common coin called the silver dales (dsd).

Hmm, incomplete.

In the town of Highmoon is minted, for the Dales, a common coin called the silver dales (dsd).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  19:47:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks folks!

But, I think what you write sounds ... strange

Yes on thrid review of what I first offered looks a little strange to me also, just less strange from what you started with. Prehaps my second offer is clearer. *looks at it again*

Looks OK to me instead of saying there is a mint (noun) directly, that Highmoon mints (verb, minted verb action completed) the coins. Which of course requires a mint to be there.

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  19:53:57  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks again. I updated my homepage with the following sentence:

quote:
In the town of Highmoon is minted, for the Dales, a common coin called the silver dales (dsd).

Now, where are those dwarves ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000