Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Hello all!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skathros
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  18:08:27  Show Profile  Visit skathros's Homepage Send skathros a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings to all. Just wanted to introduce myself a little. Been into FR since the old "grey" box (yes, i'm that old). Havent really touched anything Realms-wise in a long time. I just recently purchesed the FRCS for 3E and thougt it was simply beutiful. Problem is, i wavent trekked through the realms in a long time and much has changed. Hope Candlekeep can fill in the gaps.

Wishing you all a merry day
skathros

"...his people lamented him ever after and took no king again"-The Silmarillion.

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  18:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep Skathros

An old grey box veteran eh!? Im sure you have much knowledge to share and many tales to tell!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  19:58:55  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome and... what do you mean by grey box?
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  21:09:24  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

1st edition FR. Oh, happy times.
Go to Top of Page

skathros
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  21:38:02  Show Profile  Visit skathros's Homepage Send skathros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the welcome all! Being out of the FR "loop" (so to speak) for so long, i noticed something now that i have come back to the realms. I'm not to sure why, but there seems to be some hostility thrown the FRs way (this is the feeling i get when i read things on certain boards). Did something happen while i was away. I know i've been away from the Realms for some time, but i dont understand this "looking down" on realms fans? It's one of the few "old time" settings that's still around. Can someone please shed some light?

"...his people lamented him ever after and took no king again"-The Silmarillion.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  22:12:52  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, i'm only playing for 8 years so i can't say how it was before but during that time i didn't feel a "look down" on FR fans... And i can only speak for France.
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  22:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings good sir. Being a newbie whose only experience is through the Baldurs Gate games I can't comment on any changes. No doubt you will have many experience to share with us though!

All the best,

Alex

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  22:55:33  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been role playing for years, not FR that is and can't think of reason why I should look down on FR players. Probably it's just out of envy of the great world of Forgotten Realm.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  23:00:57  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, perhaps I should say welcome. Kind of missed that one out the first time.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2003 :  12:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heyla and welcome! I'm sorry to say, I never played 1st edition, but welcome to third edition. I hope it meets your expectations. I'm just learning it (from copies of tomes borrowed from friends) now. As far as I know, there isn't that there's alot of "looking down on newer members" here on the east coast of the US, since the number of "known" D&D players isn't what it used to be. New members are welcomed as a rare find. =) (At least where I am!)

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

skathros
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2003 :  18:21:15  Show Profile  Visit skathros's Homepage Send skathros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks all for all the kind welcome. I'm liking what i see in 3E's FR...alot has changed, i'll tell you that much hmmmmm...time of troubles? Drows in Cormanthor? Now how am i ever gonna get myself up to date? Anyone know where i should start? Please keep in mind that i'm old Never played BG, or NWN. But i do need to catch up on what's happened since i left...so if anyone has any suggestion, please let me know...it would be much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2003 :  20:13:03  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Greyhawk fans are probably just bitter that the FR is more popular than the "core" DnD world. (I think that's the case, am I wrong?)
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2003 :  20:15:43  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest you don't rush on the third edition right now. You should first read some of the 2nd edition FR related books "adventuring in the realms" (it's the traduction of a french title, i hope it's the right one in english) and novels "the avatars trilogy"
I think it could be a good beginning
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2003 :  04:00:23  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late welcome. I've been away from Candlekeep for a little while. Anyway, welcome to the forums!
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2003 :  13:29:08  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met and welcome Skathros,

My apologies for welcoming you so belatedly. Things have been.... interesting, for me lately.

I too have long been in the realms but never got into them seriously until recently. I also took a 9 year break in the middle so my knowledge is not what it should be...

I will do what I can to answer any questions you may have.

Safe journeys,

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2003 :  18:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Skathros and enjoy your stay.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2003 :  19:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to these halls of infinite knowledge, skathros. I'm sure you'll find whatever it is your looking for here, and more perhaps.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2003 :  20:01:03  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

1st edition FR. Oh, happy times.

Ron, watch out with the excuberance ye old fart Ye might hurt yer back. Hehehe... (but I can understand the sentiment)

Welcome skathros, and well met again in the Realms. For an 'old-timer' you've seem to have taken a healthy and curious interest in the Realms again. And interesting it is for sure. Some of of the trails of old are still there, the ruts a little deeper and more worn, others are new and lead to places where people in the old days only heard of in rumors.

Between all the youngsters and old-timers (and whatever is in between), you'll probably find enough answers to questions you'll have on the changes in the Realms.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Juspas
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  03:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Juspas's Homepage Send Juspas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Skathros. Like you i'm a gray beard too. Also new at this B&B Stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  21:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep...I'll be happy to talk with a new human

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

Drizzt Do Urden
Acolyte

Netherlands
33 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2003 :  19:49:59  Show Profile  Visit Drizzt Do Urden's Homepage Send Drizzt Do Urden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail Old one

Once the Menzoberrenzan Drow run away from the Drow Practices in other cities. Then they settled Menzoberrenzan, and prayed to there evil and mad godess Lolth, the Spider Queen. Then they turned the same way has there far away cousins (isn't that ironic)

Bless Mielikki, and the good people of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000