Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragon Names?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  16:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a curiosity, but does it seem to anyone else that many of the prevelant patterns in Dragon names are reminiscent of Old Greek names? Perhaps it's because the word and grammatical structure would support those names the best when translated... *shrug*

Side item, does anyone have suggestions for generating random Dragonic names, or even pre- or suffixes? I'm sure there are some out there but my normal crappy 26.6 MAX connection won't let me do it at home and surfing for that at work is frowned upon.

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  20:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd get decent results by taking a list of Realms dragon names such as Erik Thornton's and feeding the names into EBoN (I think you need to register it to create chapters). I can't think of another easy way to get random Realms draconic names. But have a look at the discussion of the subject in the Lhammaruntosz article.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  01:00:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally don't see a Greek bias - and I am of Greek background - but whatever you do with dragon names in FR, please make them "realmsian" sounding and draconic names, NOT human dragon pseudonyms. I wince everytime I see red dragons named "Inferno". Sure, human might call him/her that, but he/she needs to have a name.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  01:05:34  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I don't see a pattern with old Greek names, but I do know that FR dragons often have names that are like 18 letters long with like a dozen syllables... Lol.

BTW, are these names supposed to follow the Draconic language or is it a direct translation into Common?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  02:26:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I wince everytime I see red dragons named "Inferno". Sure, human might call him/her that, but he/she needs to have a name.
Hmmm... Now I wonder which setting you are referring to?

And just for the record, draconic names in DL, like the aforementioned "Inferno", are the human dialact translations (in the case that the "true" name of a dragon is known), or they are names assigned to them by mortals to reflect one of their inherent or obvious features. The dragons of Krynn also bear their own "true" names derived from their own languages -- very few mortals are aware of these however.

I suppose the same could apply to the naming of dragons in the Realms. It just depends upon whether you want to follow that convention.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jun 2005 02:32:51
Go to Top of Page

Supplicant of Shar
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  15:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Supplicant of Shar's Homepage Send Supplicant of Shar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found that the easiest way to make a dragon name is to create a simple, two syllable name that is easily pronounced. Now hide that name in a very complex, nigh unpronounceable maze of syllables and consonants (and lots of "y"'s).
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  17:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Supplicant of Shar

I've found that the easiest way to make a dragon name is to create a simple, two syllable name that is easily pronounced. Now hide that name in a very complex, nigh unpronounceable maze of syllables and consonants (and lots of "y"'s).

Well met

An interesting formula indeed, Supplicant of Shar. Would ye mayhaps have any examples thou hast compiled, to share with us all?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly