Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Eilistraee societies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RedneckBadgerLord
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  12:08:52  Show Profile  Visit RedneckBadgerLord's Homepage Send RedneckBadgerLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I am not saying that they would over look him, just that they remember what he did to them. I do not see that any Priest of Corellon would achieve the same respect as a Cleric of Eilistraee. Some honor would be given to him, in my opinion, however the betrayer of the good Drow can not recieve the same honor and respect as one that seeks to reclaim birthright. Nor does Eilistraee followers seek reconciliation with Corellon as I read it, just rather they seek to reclaim the lands they were driven from by using peaceful means. Adjusting to daylight that Corellon has cursed them to have a hard time with (yes in game terms you can burn a feat slot, but that also means you can not take another feat). In some ways clearly the father of elves deserves some respect, but all Drow will also cruse him when on the surface or exposed to bright lights, at least is how I would react and I expect most Drow would. Paise Corellon for you are on the surface and can not see because of his actions. Nay I do not believe any Drow would quickly endrose Corellon for what he did to the parents.

This of course can be a point we can not (and most likely will never)agree on. Corellon has denied all Drow access to High Elven Magic, has not aided the good Drow when attacked by those that followed Lolth, he has abandoned the race and punished all of them for the actions of some portion of them.

I can see aceptance of others of the Seldarine quicker then the leader. As for them not killing out of had, which would be worst for you; 1000 years denied the joys of nature, or a quick death?

I do not know if you have played Drow characters, espcially those that seek to reclaim the surface. Even if you have there certainly can be interpertations, variations based on the limited lore available. Based on my play and my understanding of lore, Seldarine will be honored for being the father of the Dark Maiden, but also fowever cursed for what he did (or allowed to be done) to them.

He just saved his little girl's butt in a sava game (Lady Pertinent book 3) how can you say Corellon doesn't care for his daughter? He would be the first to aid her!

Redwall. Drizzt. Kentucky. Enough said.

I was weaned on 2E Baldur's Gate. Learned 3.5E, and can't stand 4E WoF. (Though I try not to mess up canon too badly).
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  15:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedneckBadgerLord
He just saved his little girl's butt in a sava game (Lady Pertinent book 3)...

He did?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  16:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by RedneckBadgerLord
He just saved his little girl's butt in a sava game (Lady Pertinent book 3)...

He did?

Indeedo. He was a bit late, was he not? I'm still wondering about the crescent moon next the the sun on Arvandor though, as described in that last book.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  00:17:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be he ate his duaghter, taking her power?
She clearly does not yet appear in FR.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  00:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the Drow city write up that was/is on WotC website (that I can not find now) indicated that there are groups of Eilistraee followers living in the city that do not know of each other. This is how secert Eilistraee communities are.

And now I get the picture of a drow city in which ALL the people worship Eilistraee, but it's all still 'business as usual' (rituals to Lolth, inter-House warfare, etc.) because none of them dare to allow the secret to get out.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  01:04:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

One of the Drow city write up that was/is on WotC website (that I can not find now) indicated that there are groups of Eilistraee followers living in the city that do not know of each other. This is how secert Eilistraee communities are.

And now I get the picture of a drow city in which ALL the people worship Eilistraee, but it's all still 'business as usual' (rituals to Lolth, inter-House warfare, etc.) because none of them dare to allow the secret to get out.

Indeed Drow cities Lolth ruled did have Eilistraee cleric establish a portal in the heart of Lolth's domain.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20021106a

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  19:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More about male drow and the clergy of Eilistraee:

Didn't Mister Greenwood once say that males wanting to serve the Dancing Lady were required to spend some time spell-changed into female drow so as to "broaden their perspectives"?

Another question, this one a trifle silly: Eilistraeen priestesses sometimes perform sacred dances while skyclad at night in the woods or other lonely places. What happens when local lad(s) learn about this and try to find a place to hide to watch the 'free show'? (I truly think that Ed could write a helleciously comical story about something like this.)

More seriously, would the priestesses have weapons and spells somewhere close by -- or even silent, hidden guardians -- in case vengeful Lolthites, hungry beasts, frightened and armed surface-dwellers, etc., decide to kill some of the "murdering drow"?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  19:16:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Another question, this one a trifle silly: Eilistraeen priestesses sometimes perform sacred dances while skyclad at night in the woods or other lonely places. What happens when local lad(s) learn about this and try to find a place to hide to watch the 'free show'? (I truly think that Ed could write a helleciously comical story about something like this.)

Didn't Mirt happen upon a sacred dance that Qilúe was a part of in Seven Sisters?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  19:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

Didn't Mirt happen upon a sacred dance that Qilúe was a part of in Seven Sisters?

No, that was Laeral, and the dancing ladies weren't none too happy about it either. Though that seems to have had more to do with her giving unintentional offense by joining in than just by watching.

Though it was stated in the story that when the dance was finished, the dancers would collapse exhausted and remain that way until dawn -- and be easy targets for any wandering orc or murderous wooodsman who found them.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  20:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, that was Laeral...

Actually it was Dove.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  20:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't Mister Greenwood once say that males wanting to serve the Dancing Lady were required to spend some time spell-changed into female drow so as to "broaden their perspectives"?

Yes--although I think he just said they had to become female rather than female drow, specifically. Eilistraee has plenty of non-drow priestesses.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 Sep 2008 20:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  21:37:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed

quote:
Yes, you heard me right: there now ARE a few males among her church, but to enter it they have all “Danced The Changedance” and spent time as female, just as Mystra caused Elminster to spend time as Elmara - - and for the same reasons: greater understanding and sensitivity of “the life of the other gender.” One cannot truly feel the Divine Dance of Eilistraee PROPERLY except as a female, and so her (still very rare, few, and generally secretive about it) male priests must spend some time as a female (not just for the duration of a ritual, but they must do some everyday living as a female). The most accomplished drow, elf, half-elf, and human male priests seem to feel the need to take female form for some days every few years or so (if they wish to “cleave more fully to the Goddess” and thus rise in levels), and most spend longer and longer times in female form. Not all female priests of the Goddess fully trust the males, and they don’t tend to rise much in the church hierarchy (no matter what character levels they achieve).

Edited by - Kentinal on 30 Sep 2008 21:40:56
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  00:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

No, that was Laeral...

Actually it was Dove.

Oops, yeah, you're right. My mistake.

Thanks for the correction.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  15:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  23:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, as someone asked about 'other gods good/non-evil drow can worship'...

Shouldn't the answer be 'any of them, provided they have a good reason and backstory'?

You could do a drow paladin of Torm or monk of Ilmater if you wanted to.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  03:56:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, as someone asked about 'other gods good/non-evil drow can worship'...

Shouldn't the answer be 'any of them, provided they have a good reason and backstory'?

You could do a drow paladin of Torm or monk of Ilmater if you wanted to.

Well in theory certainly any deity can be venerated, just some do not serve as good examples of what elves would venerate.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000