Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Return of the Archwizards trilogy - SPOILERS!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  17:39:58  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SPOILER WARNING: Please dont read any further posts in this topic if you havent yet read the series as it will contain numerous spoilers!
Having read the first two novels mid-last year, I couldnt wait to get stuck into the last book (The Sorcerer)......how disappointed I was! I felt the novel to be far too ridiculous, it appeared as though the author (Troy Denning) had suddenly hit a brick wall and wondered how to wrap the series up! Dont get me wrong, i loved the first novel and the second was also a good read, although the more involvement with The Chosen was beginning to worry me slightly as to what was to come...... and sadly, my worries were confirmed in the last book!

IMHO, The Chosen ruined the series! Ok, youd expect them to play a part in such a Realms-shaking event but some parts were just silly....

The shrinking of the Chosen so they could be swallowed by Aris, a giant, to gain access to the City of Shade, then vomitted back up and returned to their normal size!!

The Chosen disguised as Phaerimm so that they can mingle with the true Phaerimm!!

Just two points I really disliked!
I admit that its not really my kind of novel, being as its a little too high-magic and battle-heavy for me. On the whole I enjoyed the series, I thought the Shade were done very well indeed. My idea of Phaerimm isnt as fearful as it was before reading (it didnt seem right to give them names and genders, for some reason. Too much of a personality made them likable )

Ill likely add more to this thread later.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  20:00:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad posted:

quote:
I felt the novel to be far too ridiculous, it appeared as though the author (Troy Denning) had suddenly hit a brick wall and wondered how to wrap the series up!

Exactly my feelings. The powers that be decided with 3e that the Shade had to return. Fine, no problem there. However, the trilogy that brought them back was very lacking in my opinion. As for the last book, per your feelings, it seemed to me that having written himself into a corner with all that transpired in the past two books, Denning pulled out his "Chosen Get me out of this mess" free card and voila, all is resolved.

quote:
The shrinking of the Chosen so they could be swallowed by Aris, a giant, to gain access to the City of Shade, then vomitted back up and returned to their normal size!!

You didn't like the Mini-Me version of the Chosen???? I have nothing against the Chosen in a novel. I read last night a part of "Silver Shadows" again and loved how Laeral interacted with Amlaruil. A recent web enhancement on the WOTC site shows Alustriel engaging in politics with her new nation. Both, show important figures, but make them part of the story, not the be all end all resolution to the story or the Deus Ex Machina in Denning's case.

And I'm not even going to start on how elves were portrayed in this last novel.....all I can say is what a waste of what could have been a very entertaining trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  05:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I for one very much enjoyed the series...

I thought that it was well-written and full of enough intrigue to get us interested, but let us breathe from time to time, something MANY authors forget...

No, I wasn't crazy about the whole "Chosen-swallowing" thing, but one thing I GREATLY appreciated....I felt that the choice to exclude Elminster from the series (conveniently in Hell, though whether this was Greenwood's idea, WOTC's or the Archwizard folks, I do not know) was a brilliant move. He would have thrown the entire piece out of balance, and would have seemed extremely out of place. No folks, this is not just ArionElenim Elminster-bashing, and to prove it, I will also state that the big E was not the only character that I am glad was excluded...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  08:02:27  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

<snipped>
My idea of Phaerimm isnt as fearful as it was before reading (it didnt seem right to give them names and genders, for some reason. Too much of a personality made them likable )

Though I didn't perceive them as likeable , I do agree with the naming and gender attribution. Especially the latter part, because if one reads the description of the monsters and their action (plus means of procreation), one has the feeling that the race doesn't know two sexes. (can't think of the correct term for this...)

I agree with SiriusBlack, the elves were indeed protrayed a little too much as a variant of human, rather then true elves. Their acceptance of inter-racial realtionship was too easy compared to their stereotypical aversion of such relations. Also the (anti-)hero of the series wasn't really portrayed as an elf. (did I mention that he was repeatedly spoken o as 'elf', this came across as insulting to me, and therefore I was surprised that even Khelben used this form of address...)

I must admit that the 3rd book was a less enjoyable read then the first two, but I can't say that I was disappointed either. Sure there were some items which I would have liked differently, but they didn't spoil the fun as much.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  18:03:51  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I felt that those books were great. I thought Denning introduced some great characters especially, Aris. Also he made good use of some old ones (Malik) s/p?.

Granted, it is always a little annoying when the Chosen come rushing in. It was a good setup to show why Elminster was in Hell, to set up that book. I liked the fact that he was defeated in a way. I also like the fact that the chosen came across something that they could not completely stop.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  05:16:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, I just finished reading the first book, The Summoning, (yes, I know it's late but I'm poor!) and I have a question concerning Elminster. In the first book, he has a small battle with the Shade Princes and it opens up a rift that leads to Hell. Then the Sage of Shadowdale jumps in to close the rift back up.

Did Elminster in Hell take place AFTER the Return of the Archwizards trilogy, even though the book was released BEFORE Troy Denning's series?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  05:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Did Elminster in Hell take place AFTER the Return of the Archwizards trilogy, even though the book was released BEFORE Troy Denning's series?

It takes place during the trilogy. Also, The Summoning was released in 2001; Elminster in Hell was released in 2002.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  05:29:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During, I believe. They (WotC) needed to get El out of the way while the Shades were doing their thing, otherwise the white hats might have done something right... As it was, we are left with the impression that without Elminster, all the white hats have spontaneously become FR's version of the Keystone Kops...

Is it obvious I didn't like this trilogy?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  07:00:23  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thank the two of you for your assistance.

Even though I just finished the first book, I think this trilogy is quite good. My only complaints are that things moved way too fast and that the first book had a lot of errors. In the Summoning, it seemed that by the first like fifty pages, the phaerrims were liking pouring out and gathering armies while Evereska had like a portion of its military strength already. I know some people complained about the uberness of the character, but considering who the enemies are in this series, I wasn't too disappointed. However, for some strange reason, The Summoning had a lot of grammar and printing mistakes. Words such as "losing" and "loosing" would be mixed up or there were many incidents where there were no spaces between words.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  07:26:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Even though I just finished the first book, I think this trilogy is quite good.

I felt the same way after the first book. From that point on it was downhill for this reader.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  08:32:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... IMO the first book was "bearable", perhaps just because of my inner need to stay appraised of Elminster's movements. However two and three were very disappointing to say the least, for a couple of reasons:

a. Useless elves (including High Mages): elves in this book were just something thrown in the background to, I guess, attract elf fan-persons such as me (I'll admit I am one since Evermeet by Elaine). It's a sad thing that Mr. Dennings did not build upon the great work of previous "FR elf writers/loremasters" instead of just using what has been done like generic "facts of life" that are past, done and over with, ready to be grossly altered and kicked in the rear... In this book, elves could not defend themselves, deferred to Khelben like lowly dogs (the scene of the crippled High Mage in Waterdeep just plainly pissed me off), and prejudiced sorcerers (i.e. wizards with no spellbooks are baaaaaaaaaaaad! they must NOT excel at our grand academy!!) Need I say more? how more despicable could the elves have been portrayed?

b. Armies of mind flayers and beholders: that was just silly. Are the phaerimm such a unifying force who could assemble all those very dangerous creatures as their underlings for such a long campaign?

c. The elf shadow weave user anti-hero: I just hated him. Felt no sympathy in light of his problems. And he got his "shadow weave access" through the old Netherese arcanist "banking terminal"? I mean "what the?" Is this how the Shadow Weave is accessed? you walk up to an old crusty shade boy, spread your arms out wide and wait for him to touch your forehead while yelling "TESTIFY!!!" ??!!?? What about the involvement of Shar in all this? surely the elf boy did not have a Wisdom of 15, the required stat to circumvent the Shar worshipping usually required to access the Shadow Weave (see PGtoF's description of the Shadow Weave Magic feat). But that's just game mechanics I guess, and one could assume that Shadow Weave Magic is contracted like a bad cold...

d. The Chosen ganging up on the Shade enclave in an attempt to "blow it up": that reeked of terrorrist tactics if you ask me... this especially in light of recent world events such as the bombing of embassies and the destruction of the World Trade Center. This is also an evil act by all the standards of measure offered by the PHB Alignment section: there was a lot of innocent on that floating island, not just the elite ruling class depicted in the form of the Shade Princes. Very bad call Mr. Dennings: at least you could have used other, more zealous and more mercenary-minded, characters to commit the not-so-glorious deed of "flying into the enclave to bring it down." Aren't the Chosen of Mystra supposed to be somewhat above this kind of behaviour?
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  14:30:46  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I hated this entire series!! I must have posted about this a dozen times here and on Wizards before they took away the Novels Forum. In fact, my unforgiving rants about the series are probably what led to the Novels Forum being removed. I'm not sure, but I wonder why Denning isn't writing FR lore anymore.

I remember reluctantly saying to myself, "Well, you gotta finish The Sorcerer at some point, so get through it!" I literally had to talk myself into finishing the book. I even remember throwing it across the laundry room at IUP in disgust. People are actually going to see this series on bookshelves and be intrigued. "Hey, this looks interesting. There are bizarre angelic beings on the front cover. Hmmmm...I wonder if this image has anything to do with the book's material."

Many of you have already made great points.

-The ridiculous army of bugbears, mind flayers, and beholders, and ONLY bugbears, mind flayers, and beholders. Where are the orcs? Aren't they everywhere? Where are the aerial units, the giants, and an endless amount of monsters and humanoids that any epic level sorcerer could call into service. I mean, if they can quell intelligent creatures like mind flayers (who, oddly enough, have no place in a large-scale war), certainly the phaerimm can charm other base creatures.

-The ridiculousness of Galaeron and his struggle against his shadow self, something that had nothing to do with the shadow adept in the FRCS. I expected some kind of continuity. Denning seemed to just write up rules as he went along.

-The whole stomach thing in The Sorcerer. My God... that scene was like a silly episode of the original Dragonball series.

-I remember not knowing exactly what Melegaunt looked like throughout the books. Was he Shade? Was he human? Was he a Shade who looked human? Why?

-I remember having no mental image of the battlefield at Evereska. There was so much going on, and it was all such horrible storytelling, that my mind wandered to better things, like what I was going to have for dinner, whether I should pick my nose now, while no one is looking, or whether I should go into the bathroom to do it, and other more important mental processes.

-The large-scale battles were just silly. Lots of lame fireballs and lightning bolts, beholders turning their anti-magic eyes rays on each other only to get feathered by scores of arrows, as if they wouldn't have figured that one out. Just poor spellcasting altogether.

-Denning should never have been allowed to write about the Chosen. That's sacred ground, and even if it isn't sacred, just let the master do it. We'll all feel better afterward.

-Vala and her gang flipping around like ninjas, throwing their darkswords around, killing beholders like they're base kobolds... I was shocked by that.

I could go on and on... The only part of the series I did enjoy was when Denning explained in great detail the effects of Khelben's chain lightning spell, and how it traveled through dozens of bugbears and beholders before grounding out. That was kinda cool.

I must say that Denning has ruined my FR experience many times before. I mean, oftentimes you have to read his books before you can get to the better books by Greenwood.

-You have to read the Avatar Trilogy to fully grasp the Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy. (I know Denning isn't 100% responsible for the Avatar Series.)

-You have to read the abysmal Beyond the High Road and watch Vangy and Rowen use ingenuity to avoid the ghazneths (creatures who I found to be completely lame) before you can completely grasp Death of the Dragon. You can literally cut out the Denning scenes with Tanalasta and Owden to enjoy the Greenwood scenes with Alusair and the King. It's like black and white.

-And lastly, and most unfortunately, you have to read at least up to The Siege to fully grasp what's going on in Elminster in Hell.

Time and again it's been "Crust in Hell" having to push through a Denning novel to get to a Greenwood novel. There's something morally wrong about that. I'm glad things seem to be back to normal.

Denning always makes me to this , this , this , this , this , this , and this when I read ANY of his novels, from Parched Sea to The Sorcerer.

I must say that I was intrigued by Dragonwall. I read that early in my FR education, so maybe I wasn't aware of how awful the story was at the time.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Alaundo on 27 Dec 2004 19:26:48
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  14:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to add my rant... Although others have made some excellent points, the real teeth-grinder for me in this trilogy was how everyone on the "good" side but the Chosen of Mystra and the main protagonists was portrayed as ineffective sword fodder.

Point in case: the part in book 2 where two of the seven sisters flew above a wall of fire (I think it was a wall of fire) and blasted away at the Phaerimm-controlled forces, while everyone else cowered behind that wall. There were battle mages from Waterdeep present. Was none of them of a sufficiently high level to cast fly and various defensive spells, and join the two sisters in the air? As it was, throughout the series I had the distinct feeling that all the elves and rescue forces from Waterdeep were nothing but meat shields for the Chosen and the main protagonists. Disgusting.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:45:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust
I must have posted about this a dozen times here and on Wizards before they took away the Novels Forum. In fact, my unforgiving rants about the series are probably what led to the Novels Forum being removed.

Aha! So you're the one responsible!

quote:

I'm not sure, but I wonder why Denning isn't writing FR lore anymore.

Isn't he writing for Lucas currently?

I didn't dislike all his work quite that harshly. In fact, while it had flaws, his work on the Cormyr series was overall very enjoyable.

Edited by - Alaundo on 27 Dec 2004 19:27:17
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  19:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Now now, let us not word our opinions so harshly, fellow scribes. Whilst I welcome the breakdown of good and bad points of the novels and especially with examples given, please refrain from open attacks on the author and his other works. It will not be tolerated herein

Indeed, there were some points I did not like in the Return of the Archwizards Trilogy, although some scenes were very well written, in my opinion. That aside, I thought Dragonwall and Beyond the High Road were pretty splendid novels

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  23:13:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite like Dragonwall... And while I wasn't a huge fan of Beyond the High Road or Death of the Dragon, I had no problems with them. I also liked Parched Sea, though it's been a long time since I read it (ditto for Veiled Dragon). I quite enjoyed Crucible, but Faces of Deception was one of the worst Realms novels I'd read... As for the Twilight Giants books, I read The Ogre's Pact and didn't like it, so I didn't hit the other ones.

As natural as it is for us to want to blame the author for what happens in a book, Troy Denning has turned out some good ones. Though I've no way of knowing for certain, I have to wonder if he was directed to portray the white hats as idiots. After all, back in the day, TSR had that Code of Ethics which made the bad guys idiots.

It's likely that, in the interest of making it a serious RSE, Denning was directed to write the way he did. It's also likely that he didn't write the white hats as such idiots, and that their moronification was at the hands of an editor.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  01:20:33  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I agree with some of the comments while some I do not share the same views with. Once again, there seems to be quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes in the second book. However, that doesn't annoy me TOO much...

I didn't like how Vala threw her sword around like it was a finely balanced dagger. Ya, it's a powerful sword, but it seems that everytime she threw that thing some beholder or phaerrim gets like skewered.

I don't really mind the usage of the Chosens as uber characters should be around for such powerful opponents. However, I agree with others as all these powerful monsters like illithids and beholders appear from nowhere. Then there's also the involvement of dracoliches, which I thought was taking it a bit too far. I also think that Storm was using a bit too much magic in the series, considering she's a bard and not a full wizard or sorcerer like Laeral or Khelben.

Go to Top of Page

Schala
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  04:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Schala's Homepage Send Schala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. I thought it was pretty good. I do wish they would stop using the Chosen (most pointedly Elminster) to solve all the problems though.

I also liked how they brought Malik, Cyric's Seraph of Lies who can't lie, back. He was always a character that I really liked, even though he's cowardly and pathetic. BTW, does anyone know what happened to Malik? Last I read (in The Sorceror, I believe) he was being put on trial by Ruha, the Harper lady.

Devoted Follower of Cyric, the One and All.

~Death to all who oppose Cyric. Bow down before his supreme power, and yield to him the blood of those that do not believe in his supremacy. Fear and obey those in authority, but slay those that are weak, of good persuasion, or false prophets. Bring death to those that oppose Cyric's church or make peace, order, and laws, for only Cyric is the true authority.~
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  04:48:54  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't like how Vala threw her sword around like it was a finely balanced dagger. Ya, it's a powerful sword, but it seems that everytime she threw that thing some beholder or phaerrim gets like skewered.

Not to get all text booky, but there is a certain magic trait weapons can be given to make them thrown weapons.

I have plenty of experience with a dwarven fighter that had a +3 Dwarven Thrower Dwarven Waraxe. With a fews select ranged feats, my little dwarf was a force to be reckoned with.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  05:31:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know about the throwing ability. However, I just don't enjoy seeing the longsword used as a missile weapon.

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  08:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started the first book in this series when I first started getting into FR--and couldn't get through it. I got about 25 pages in and found myself asking, "What in the Hells is going on?" Denning slaps a whole bunch of references in there, automatically expecting the reader to know what he's talking about, and doesn't give any explanation at all. I might pick it up again soon, but I'm having mixed feelings, even though I'm MUCH more familiar with Toril now.

Also, I read his story in Realms of Shadow and found it to be among the worst three. Sorry, Troy, but not everyone's a Realms scholar.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  11:56:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

I started the first book in this series when I first started getting into FR--and couldn't get through it. I got about 25 pages in and found myself asking, "What in the Hells is going on?"
Hey: I've been reading FR stuff for over 15 years now, and I, myself, had no clue what was going on. To me, this book was like a bad assignment: I needed to read it to pass the class (i.e. needed to read it before reading "Elminster in Hell")
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  14:14:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
I've been reading FR stuff for over 15 years now, and I, myself, had no clue what was going on. To me, this book was like a bad assignment: I needed to read it to pass the class (i.e. needed to read it before reading "Elminster in Hell")

The test will be scheduled for later this week. Be sure to bring a #2 pencil.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  01:37:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone clear something up for me since I was under the impression that this was a 3e novel.

Was this book and trilogy originally written for 2e? I have two people on the WOTC boards who are claiming this even though it wasn't published until after the PHB and the FRCS. March 2001. This is at least a year later, in the case of the PHB, from the 2000 published date of the PHB.

A quote would help since they can't supply one. "I heard that this book was written for 2e even though it has 3e elements in it," is what they keep saying.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2004 02:20:22
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  02:17:21  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

I started the first book in this series when I first started getting into FR--and couldn't get through it. I got about 25 pages in and found myself asking, "What in the Hells is going on?" Denning slaps a whole bunch of references in there, automatically expecting the reader to know what he's talking about, and doesn't give any explanation at all. I might pick it up again soon, but I'm having mixed feelings, even though I'm MUCH more familiar with Toril now.

Also, I read his story in Realms of Shadow and found it to be among the worst three. Sorry, Troy, but not everyone's a Realms scholar.

Ya, I know what you mean. He starts throwing stuff out of nowhere about Chosens or doesn't bother to explain about the system involving the Lords of Waterdeep. If you haven't read any other books, it's going to be confusing and hard to follow, as a lot of the characters in it appears in previous FR books, like Malik. That's why I enjoyed reading RAS's books coz they usually don't involve too much Realmslore and allows new readers to get into the FR setting.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  02:51:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
A quote would help since they can't supply one. "I heard that this book was written for 2e even though it has 3e elements in it," is what they keep saying.

I think that alone should tell you the likely validity of their claims. Moreover, what are you doing talking about novels over on the WOTC boards??!!!

You rebel you!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  02:57:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ya, I know what you mean. He starts throwing stuff out of nowhere about Chosens or doesn't bother to explain about the system involving the Lords of Waterdeep. If you haven't read any other books, it's going to be confusing and hard to follow, as a lot of the characters in it appears in previous FR books, like Malik. That's why I enjoyed reading RAS's books coz they usually don't involve too much Realmslore and allows new readers to get into the FR setting.

I have read a good majority of the other books, and there was still stuff I didn't understand or couldn't follow!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  03:00:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I think that alone should tell you the likely validity of their claims. Moreover, what are you doing talking about novels over on the WOTC boards??!!!

You rebel you!

Someone dared mention a book over there without BigSis coming down on him/her like a ton of bricks?!?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  03:08:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

You rebel you!

Someone dared mention a book over there without BigSis coming down on him/her like a ton of bricks?!?

HHAHAH. Didn't think about it till you mentioned it. Oh well I might get my final warning finally then. I've been threatened about it at least 2 or 3 times now.

But no one can supply a quote claiming those novels were originally 2e?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  03:57:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Time to realize they had it in for you WR.

But I still love you.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  03:59:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
HHAHAH. Didn't think about it till you mentioned it. Oh well I might get my final warning finally then. I've been threatened about it at least 2 or 3 times now.

What the hell kind of moderation threatens a warning? Dear Corellon do people lose their brains when they become moderators?

quote:

But no one can supply a quote claiming those novels were originally 2e?

No and this is the first time I recall hearing such a claim. Sorry I can't be more help. Are these veterans of the boards or kids on holiday break?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000