Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Historical/Fictional Adaptations in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  00:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Cormyr-England and Dales-Wales looks fair good! Dalesmen are known for their fierce independentism, like welsh too.

Why thank you! Know I wasn't born in whales, but I am part Cymran.

Now here's a question: can anybody see any tie ins for Sembia? France, maybe? Trying to push itself into england, young vibrant power. Maybe not entirely, since it's never identical. But am I the only one who sees some resemblance between Sembia and France?

Hmm, Or maybe Belgium....

Personally, I get a whole 'Count of Monte Cristo' feel from Sembia.

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"

Edited by - Sir Luther Cromwell on 10 Aug 2005 00:42:40
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  08:31:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I think that Sembia is Sembia

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  11:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Hmm....pardon my asking, why is it so?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  11:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now here's a question: can anybody see any tie ins for Sembia? France, maybe? Trying to push itself into england, young vibrant power. Maybe not entirely, since it's never identical. But am I the only one who sees some resemblance between Sembia and France?

Personally, I get a whole 'Count of Monte Cristo' feel from Sembia.

I see Sembia as a mix between France and Italian "Signorie" (damn', I don't know english translate for signoria!).
Wealthy state founded on trade, with large use of mercenaries, government kept by an elective autority (overmaster), first finalcial wealth on a Inner Sea, with the problem of new trade route found by Spain (Amn) in the ocean.
Just like Italian states like Florence, Venice, Milan and so on during the Renassaince.
Statal unity, conquering ambitions...like France!

P.S.
Sir Luther, Thay-Vatican is indeed a great idea! And I'm a Roman Catholic, but see no problem in this tie.

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

SEMBIA: Money-grubbing country filled with self-important puffed-up would-be world rulers by coins....living directly beneath/beside

THE DALES: a benevolent and kind congolomerate of villagers just wanting to be left alone to the good life among the trees and fields of their homes.

Doesn't ring any bells of irony and sarcasm for folks?

Steven
Who wishes he were Canadian too some days....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:33:10  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

SEMBIA: Money-grubbing country filled with self-important puffed-up would-be world rulers by coins....living directly beneath/beside

THE DALES: a benevolent and kind congolomerate of villagers just wanting to be left alone to the good life among the trees and fields of their homes.

Doesn't ring any bells of irony and sarcasm for folks?

Steven
Who wishes he were Canadian too some days....

I don`t hear a bell, I hear an entire opera.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:04:27  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irony and sarcasm, sorry Steven, my bells are not the best. Please, elaborate ...

I would like though, to add some comments to why I though I could "fall-back" to, say 13th century Sweden for the Dalelands. And, it was after reading sentences (from the A Grand Tour of the Realms, from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1996)) as the following ones, that made me think that I could pick some pieces from Sweden's history to further elaborate the Dales:

Teaching self-reliance and independence, the Dale communities produce a brave, strong, and free-willes race of women and men who are needed to challenge the forces of evil.
To an outsider, the Dalesmen seem close-mouthed, suspicious, and reserved.
As for the rest of the world, the Dalesmen are fairly well isolated. Bards bring the latest news and rumors.
Each of the Dales is self-governed, but together they form a loose council that meets each year at Midwinter in a different town of the Dalelands.

Sweden has consisted of quite independent provinces (sv. landskap), and one of those provinces is named Dalarna, which could be translated to The Dales (although, the English word is Dalecardia). I just felt that Sweden could provide some base. Thanks, for your time.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

Edited by - webmanus on 10 Aug 2005 14:26:15
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:22:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

And always keeping a wary eye toward the expansionistic realms dwelling directly to the south... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:41:19  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

THE DALES: a benevolent and kind congolomerate of villagers just wanting to be left alone to the good life among the trees and fields of their homes
quote:
And always keeping a wary eye toward the expansionistic realms dwelling directly to the south... .

ROFL! As a Canadian, THIS IS HILARIOUS!

Ya, its true, we get constantly screwed over when it comes to trade with an anomynous, expansionistic country to the south which will not be named. But hey, not all americans are money grubbing. If you ask me, it depends on what state you live in .

Wow, now I need a T-shirt that says 'Elminster was a Canadian!"

Actually, the more I think about it, I think the resemblence to Canada is due to the fact that Canada is somewhat in a similar situation to Whales pre-english occupation: the constant pressure of the saxons, independent people, vast forests, 'benevolent' people (by benevolent we certainly act nice, but there isn't a country that isn't bombarded by our satire).

I see The Dalelands as a Whales/Canada Mix, sort of like how Erlkazar was a Scotish Moorish Mix.

"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now for Sembia,

If any realm resembles the USA, I'd actually say it's Amn.

Sembia, on the other hand, I can see some of the italian influences, but remember that France itself had a lot of italian influence (it's language was very latin based). Not to mention, there is an age old rivarly for land between Cormyr and Sembia, not to mention some of the names sound sort of french...kind of? What do you think?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:50:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

I see The Dalelands as a Whales/Canada Mix, sort of like how Erlkazar was a Scotish Moorish Mix.
I'm sure that if the Lady K were here, she'd be jumping up and down about this ...

Sir Luther, just a tiny issue... it's Wales .

Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sir Luther, just a tiny issue... it's Wales

Oh, Tressym Testicles!

Thank you, I'm a moron

Wait a tick, Lady K?

Edited by - Sir Luther Cromwell on 10 Aug 2005 14:57:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:30:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

Wait a tick, Lady K?

Yes, the Lady Kazandra and the love of my life . She is originally from Wales .

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:29:50  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Because I feel that the feel of Sembia contains influences from so many places (can't believe no-one has mentioned the Netherlands yet) that it has become its own place to an even greater extent than most of the lands in the Realms.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:44:25  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Because I feel that the feel of Sembia contains influences from so many places (can't believe no-one has mentioned the Netherlands yet) that it has become its own place to an even greater extent than most of the lands in the Realms.

Hey, the Netherlands weren`t ruled by ruthless merchants!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  22:36:54  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there are definite places that are influenced by cultures in the realms. But I hardly think all the areas are, and that you will severely stunt your creativity by comparing them all. There are obvious ones, but then the places like Sembia are such a mix you cannot compare it.

Whenever a writer creates things they are going to draw on their past experiences. I am sure there are all kinds of historical influences on Sembia but I do not think any of them were intentional.

Especially since, Sembia was ORIGINALLY in 1st ed, an area TSR promised not to develop:)

COrmyr I still have set up as a feudal society. IN the late middle ages towns would apply for charters. And I interpret cormyr towns as doing Just that.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  00:07:38  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, there are definite places that are influenced by cultures in the realms. But I hardly think all the areas are, and that you will severely stunt your creativity by comparing them all. There are obvious ones, but then the places like Sembia are such a mix you cannot compare it.

True, like I said before its a fantasy campaign, not a historical one. In many ways, making note of cultural and historical adaptations is simply a matter of options for the DM. A DM should never say 'Well England never did this, so this realm never did this'. These historical tie-ins shouldn't be anything but icing on the cake. It's sort of like adding music or visual aids to your campaign: they can help, but are NEVER more important than the campaign itself. Taking a look at everything now, I'd say we've got a pretty decent enough list.
I know I'm the one who asked what Sembia might be, but I now see that it does sound like Sembia really is Sembia, nothing else. Historical adaptations are a seasoning, not a filler.

Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  12:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True, like I said before its a fantasy campaign, not a historical one. In many ways, making note of cultural and historical adaptations is simply a matter of options for the DM. Historical adaptations are a seasoning, not a filler.

Agree. But I found useful make ties to hystorycal states for FR countries, specially for mid to high level adventures. When the PC get involved with politics and so on, it's more easy to know "how it works" in state ruling, economy and so on.

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  14:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The historical inspiration should never be any more than a means of describing the appearance and general emotions of a society. It should never be a hindrance for the DM in the evolution of an area or even worse the adventure itself... But it can be a useful tool to make the players understand the areas dynamics.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  13:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Tethyr is France because of all the revolutions and nobleslaying that it had before Zaranda took over. And Moonshae is definetly Britain because of all the druids and Northmen (viking) attacks (plus in the Moonshae trilogy there was quite a lot of king arthur thing going on with the old sword and everything).

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  13:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos

Does Rasheman and their similarities with Norse culture count?

Actually, I think that the Rashemaar have more in common with Russians. "Historical" Finland is more similar to the Savage Frontier (for example, settlements near the High Forest) or the Dalelands on the fringes of/within Cormanthor. The finnish culture has very little to do with "Norse culture" (if used in the "Viking" sense of the word).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  05:09:47  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I ran a campaign in Amn for a while, and I read non fiction books on Moorish spain, and some of the Knightly Orders from Cordoba. Also for Amn and even Waterdeep, I developed alot of characters by studying Florence Italy.

Florence Italy seems to be the closest medieval equivalent to Waterdeep. A merchant city state with a very powerful army. Studying the Medici family may help in giving insight into the Noble families of Waterdeep.

Or you can now play Assassin's Creed 2!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000