Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Mono Canalla
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  03:40:35  Show Profile Send Mono Canalla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Kimmuriel too, and psyonic powers rock. First, kinetic barrier didn’t pass the cut to 3E D&D for a reason. That’s too unrealistically powerful. Other than that, psyonic powers are powerful precisely because they are inferior to arcane magic only when it comes to actual damage. For mind reading, teleporting, or general spying, is way the best powers. However, in a world where everybody “forgets” to build protections against Payonic powers, mind control, mind intrusion, coming from a psyonic of such level as Kimmuriel are devastating. At least Kimmuriel doesn’t have a human (or Jarlaxe) materialistic ambition.

PS: The Pírate King is for the birds, honestly. I’m skipping to the last act.

EDIT: Actually the book is good at the end.

Edited by - Mono Canalla on 04 Apr 2018 17:44:56
Go to Top of Page

AliMaClan
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  21:04:12  Show Profile Send AliMaClan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there! I am a little late to the party but pleased to have discovered this site and these books during a rare period when I have time to read without any purpose other than guilt free personal indulgence
In my teens and twenties I read a lot of fantasy and particularly enjoyed Jack Vance’s Lyonnesse, John Crowley’s Little Big and some of the more quirky humorous authors such as Gaiman, Blaylock and Pratchett. I had not read much fantasy for a couple of decades but now my kids are avid Harry Potter, Diana Wynne-Jones and dungeons and dragons fans, my interest has been rekindled. I must confess that I have been aware of D&D genre fantasy for a long time (mostly the Dragonlance books) but have largely been put off by the cover art. Recently however I began DMing Waterdeep dragonheist for my family and friends (at their request - again, I had not played D&D since my teens) and this led me to Candlekeep and the novels. Happy days!
Thus far I have read the Elminster Making of a mage, Spellfire, Cormyr, the Finders stone trilogy, the first four of the songs and swords series and Waterdeep the City of Splendours - all chosen thanks to this thread and all of which I have enjoyed. Would anyone care to make some more recommendations?
I enjoy fairy stories, humour and whimsy so long as it is not over done - indeed, I very much enjoyed Kim Novak and Jeff Grubb’s Fantasy a la Wodehouse! I also really liked Ed and Elaine’s books but confess that I found Ed’s “cast of thousands” difficult to keep track of at times, although I enjoyed his dialogue and humour. I am also really enjoying becoming acquainted with the realms. Epic “grimdark” fantasy does not really appeal and for this reason I have avoided Drizzt so far (am I wrong about this?)
Although I did manage to find the Azure Bonds trilogy second hand, I am using an iPad book application to read most of these (of course I prefer the real thing but it is convenient and comparatively cheap reading the Ebooks.)
Anyway, given what I have shared, what (or where) would you recommend next?
Thanks in advance!

Exiled from the realms for 35 years on a quest for the lost chord. I return empty handed to resume my studies...

Edited by - AliMaClan on 01 Jul 2020 21:07:59
Go to Top of Page

Odyrus
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2020 :  18:43:03  Show Profile Send Odyrus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only way you're really going to "discover more" of the Realms is to want to. Which means that the best "jumping board" is going to be the strongest authors and most enjoyable series. Salvatore, Cunningham, some Greenwood, Grubb & Novak, etc.

...And before I knew it, I was 10 books in and waiting for Bob's next release. And then I said to myself, "I wonder what else there is to this world of Faerun? This Ed Greenwood guy created it, huh? Maybe I'll read his books now." And before I knew it, Cormyr and Waterdeep and the Dalelands and the Chosen and so much more became unfurled and suddenly I just had to keep delving into this world of Faerun.

This is pretty much my experience with the realms. Started with Making of a Mage and was hooked on the world. Started collecting and reading everything Fauren related.. source material, adventure guides, novels, etc...
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2020 :  22:16:48  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AliMaClan

Hi there! I am a little late to the party but pleased to have discovered this site and these books during a rare period when I have time to read without any purpose other than guilt free personal indulgence
In my teens and twenties I read a lot of fantasy and particularly enjoyed Jack Vance’s Lyonnesse, John Crowley’s Little Big and some of the more quirky humorous authors such as Gaiman, Blaylock and Pratchett. I had not read much fantasy for a couple of decades but now my kids are avid Harry Potter, Diana Wynne-Jones and dungeons and dragons fans, my interest has been rekindled. I must confess that I have been aware of D&D genre fantasy for a long time (mostly the Dragonlance books) but have largely been put off by the cover art. Recently however I began DMing Waterdeep dragonheist for my family and friends (at their request - again, I had not played D&D since my teens) and this led me to Candlekeep and the novels. Happy days!
Thus far I have read the Elminster Making of a mage, Spellfire, Cormyr, the Finders stone trilogy, the first four of the songs and swords series and Waterdeep the City of Splendours - all chosen thanks to this thread and all of which I have enjoyed. Would anyone care to make some more recommendations?
I enjoy fairy stories, humour and whimsy so long as it is not over done - indeed, I very much enjoyed Kim Novak and Jeff Grubb’s Fantasy a la Wodehouse! I also really liked Ed and Elaine’s books but confess that I found Ed’s “cast of thousands” difficult to keep track of at times, although I enjoyed his dialogue and humour. I am also really enjoying becoming acquainted with the realms. Epic “grimdark” fantasy does not really appeal and for this reason I have avoided Drizzt so far (am I wrong about this?)
Although I did manage to find the Azure Bonds trilogy second hand, I am using an iPad book application to read most of these (of course I prefer the real thing but it is convenient and comparatively cheap reading the Ebooks.)
Anyway, given what I have shared, what (or where) would you recommend next?
Thanks in advance!

Hi - easy next 3 from what you liked - Masquerades (continue the adventures of Alias, Olive and Dragonbait); then Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck to continue the story of Finder. All by Grubb/Novak and excellent, fun books!

I also VERY much recommend Ring of Winter by James Lowder, and the wonderful City of Ravens/Prince of Ravens books by Richard Baker (the main character, Jack Ravenwild, is very very fun and the books are not too dark or grim).

Go to Top of Page

AliMaClan
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2020 :  00:03:27  Show Profile Send AliMaClan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect. My next fortnight is booked!
Thanks Odyrus and Sevarin

Exiled from the realms for 35 years on a quest for the lost chord. I return empty handed to resume my studies...

Edited by - AliMaClan on 03 Jul 2020 00:05:19
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  02:19:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you enjoyed Cunningham's Song and Sword, check out her Evermeet: Island of Elves, and Starlgiht and Shadows trilogy. Really anything by Cunningham is sauce.

I also personally have loved Last Mythal trilogy, Erevis Cale saga, War of the Spider Queen, Return of the Archwizards, and Brimstone Angels. As the comment above quoted, the more you read, the more you want to know.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

AliMaClan
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  12:47:30  Show Profile Send AliMaClan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have finished Masquerades and Finders Bane And just started City of Ravens. I think Finders Bane was the weakest I have read so far although I still quite enjoyed it. I am very much enjoying Jack Ravenwild’s scrapes - it is the first realms book to make me laugh out loud!
More Cunningham is definitely on the list. What are the titles in the Starlight and Shadows series? Thanks again for the tips.

Edited by - AliMaClan on 09 Jul 2020 12:48:58
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  14:18:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The City of Ravens book is followed up by Prince of Ravens, the plots are a bit similar but it's still a lot of fun following Jack...er...Jaer Wildhamme through the future. Prince of Ravens is ebook only, so may be harder to track down depending on your format of choice.

I enjoyed Finder's Bane but disliked how no one was able to say why "Bear" didn't trigger Holly's paladin sight on evil. They even have her collapsing around the evil of the Banelich and other evil beings, so it's acknowledged that she can sense evil, but somehow this super obviously evil bad guy in their midst is completely missed by her powers. Yes, it could be he had some kind of cloaking device to protect him from paladin vision, but they never mention it at all which means it just seems a big plot hole.

Did you try Tymora's Luck? It's following the same characters (plus a kender) and not a bad read if you like Grubb/Novak.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  17:32:09  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AliMaClan

More Cunningham is definitely on the list. What are the titles in the Starlight and Shadows series? Thanks again for the tips.

You could probably find them by typing in the series title, but they are: Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, and Windwalker.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

AmaunatorFan
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  08:12:13  Show Profile  Visit AmaunatorFan's Homepage Send AmaunatorFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just the thread I was looking for, only really got into the game with 5e, I'm hungry for lots of in-realms novels

Eldritch Knight For Life
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000