Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Database of FR entries?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  16:59:31  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I'll try seeing if I can put this text file somewhere accessible to the outside world and you can see just the degree of my lunacy!

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  17:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Once again, a splendid piece of work, EvilKnight.

Having been toying with a similar idea over time, and speaking to other scribes, I wonder if mayhaps ye would find a similar idea of interest

I'll take this to a private message...

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  11:50:55  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've put my file of records up for EvilKnight to access, but just in case anybody wants to see the extent of my lunacy...

http://uk.geocities.com/martyn_quick/tmp/FRindex.txt!

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  21:42:32  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow scribes,

Martyn's madness is now up in hyperlinked pages. It is a straight conversion from his file with no cross references or multiple entries on keywords. Another words: no connections, no see also, no subheads. He is working on adding more to it and I will convert it and post it. It needs some work but it may be useful like it is.

http://home.att.net/~evilknight/MartynIndex/all.htm

It does not have a link from the other index work pages at http://evilknight.home.att.net/

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  04:00:28  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow scribes,

Back again for a short update. I have moved my site to http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/. Got broadband but 1/5 the web space. So I cut out all the individual example index listings and I am just showing the one that compiles them all together. I'm still slowly working the FRCS (not even a third of the way) but I did add a novel, The Glass Prison. I went for just the chapters for numbering purposes, instead of individual pages.

Feedback welcome.

So the index now contains:
Approximately 100 pages of the FRCS and Map of Faerun
The Glass Prison - novel
Sons of Gruumsh - adventure
Vampires of Waterdeep - Dungeon trilogy of adventures as well as a Prison Mail ref.

BTW: As of April 21, I am now the proud father of a little girl. Mother doing well and I am chasing the two year old boy around the house for my evening fun.

EvilKnight

Edited by - EvilKnight on 01 May 2006 04:01:37
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  10:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

Hello fellow scribes,

Back again for a short update. I have moved my site to http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/. Got broadband but 1/5 the web space. So I cut out all the individual example index listings and I am just showing the one that compiles them all together. I'm still slowly working the FRCS (not even a third of the way) but I did add a novel, The Glass Prison. I went for just the chapters for numbering purposes, instead of individual pages.

Feedback welcome.

So the index now contains:
Approximately 100 pages of the FRCS and Map of Faerun
The Glass Prison - novel
Sons of Gruumsh - adventure
Vampires of Waterdeep - Dungeon trilogy of adventures as well as a Prison Mail ref.

BTW: As of April 21, I am now the proud father of a little girl. Mother doing well and I am chasing the two year old boy around the house for my evening fun.

EvilKnight

Well met

First of all... congratulations, EvilKnight

I'll certainly take a look at thy work soon. A splendid project and some additions which i'm definately interested in

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  04:40:16  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK fellow Scribes,

I have uploaded an update and some alphaware (a runnable java program). Currently, the entire HTML version of the index weighs in at approximately 3.2MB. The start page all.htm is 300KB (with S.htm slightly bigger). I would hate to be on dailup and want to use it. I can see it eventually exceeding my allowed space of 5MB. With that in mind, I went ahead and made an alpha version of some software that will eventually become a interactive replacement for the HTML pages. It weighs in under 100KB and will currently produce the full set of HTML pages as seen on my home page.

I eventually see the 'Generate HTML' button becomming an 'Initialize Index' button and being replaced with a search box area that would bring up the subjects in the results tab. I would really appreciate some of you taking a look at it and giving some feedback. As a bonus you get the current HTML set of pages (if you select everything in the tabs and hit Generate HTML). See below for link to JAR file. It is compiled to conform to Java 1.4.

I am currently up to page 135 in the FRCS and the going is slow.

I'm looking for:
1. Interface ideas.
2. How you would expect it to work.
3. etc.

I have decided to name it after Danali the Indexer from Leaves of Learning. I may need to get permissions and/or some boiler plate copyright attributes.

HTML:
http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/HTML_Index/

JAR:
http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/HTML_Index/Danali.jar

Sincerely
EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  14:41:21  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Danali.jar file has been updated. It is still beta but the search page now shows my intentions for the program.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  06:17:41  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Danali.jar now alpha 0.2.

What it does not do: print, save settings(bookmarks, source choices).

It is good for browsing and regular expression searches (but I have it limit searches to 100 or less returns). Also outputing HTML pages. I think you will like using this interface better than going through the HTML pages.

Please bang on it. Let me know what you like and don't like about it. Or just let me know you looked at it.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  04:20:34  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Danali.jar now beta at version 0.3.

I have implemented all functionality I had planned (including printing and saving settings/bookmarks automatically to a file called danali.ini). Printing can be a little funky in that it doesn't paginate well (only noticeable on long entries or printing all bookmarks and you have enough to cover more than one page). Printing has only been tested on Mac OS 10.3.9. I will provide another short note tomorrow is I find it does not work on Windows 2000.

I'm currently looking into a way to make the input files smaller. I plan on adding Martyn's file (it weighs in at 4.5 MB now. Hopefully a clean up may bring that way down). He has given me permission. I played with his file and it slows things way down when refreshing the lists. So future problems and changes may have to be considered (making certain updates on a strict as-needed basis and/or doing paging of info in code). May be better to go back to straight HTML pages and split up some pages into subsets.

Anyway, would love some feedback and ideas. I'm going back to slowly adding stuff from the FRCS. Just did a couple of dates from Kuje's So Sayeth Ed 2004 file to test using a date format for page references.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  04:42:23  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Ready?

Version 0.4 uploaded. See link in earlier post. I've included Martyn's work with his permission. I have had to rework some issues due to the large amount of data now in there (chunking the subject list). Please wait for it: It has about a 20 sec load time on a Mac G4 Dual 1.25 GHz.

It weighs in at approximately 700kB. It will produce approximately 18MB of HTML pages if you have all sources selected. Martyn's data is straight subject-location. So I hope to work the 3e sources as I have been adding sub heading, cross references and connections.

I need to work the checkbox placement order and what tabs they go under. But I think we may be close to ready for prime time with this. With Martyn's data, it becomes another welcome reference to help find lore (not that I am looking to replace just asking the closest scribe standing around).

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  15:23:10  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bug fix uploaded. Beta 0.5. Was missing last subject entry in each chunk set in the subjects.

On a Win2000 3GHz P4, startup time is 13-15 sec.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2006 :  04:35:20  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Version 0.6 beta.

Added chunking to search results so you can actually work through all subjects found. I chunk both lists to 200 records. Too small, too large, or just right? Opinions on doing this? The reason is because very long lists will cause the program to hang while it is filling the list boxes.

I also reapportioned the sources between tabs. Added buttons to select or deselct all sources under each tab/sub-tab group.

Anybody trying this out? Not willing to touch beta software?

Future directions:
-) other output formats (TeX, PDF, XML)
-) menus
-) new entries interface

BTW: It has 29110 subject entries for searching and lookup.

EvilKnight

Edited by - EvilKnight on 10 Jun 2006 04:36:43
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  05:06:20  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Danali Index version 0.7 is up.

Basically the same. Added back a way to include diacritics on a word by word basis. Up to page 200 in FRCS.

Cleaned up the web site a small bit but I hit my disk quota limit (and that is with the FRCS only with input files). Do no go to the Y or Z listing. By my calculation I should have another 200K of space to put files. Oh well.

http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  05:10:02  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Middle of version 0.8. Added the latest Dungeon article Man Forever. Had to break some links on my site (delete files) to make room for it.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  04:54:58  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
version 0.8 uploaded

-Handle non-existent bookmark selections

-Pull diacritic definitions out to a properties file for easy update

-Outputs a properties file if one does not exist.

-Outputs a starting initialization file if one does not exist

-Title set from properties file.

-Tabs defined from properties file.

-Initialzation file name defined in properties file.

-Implemented note taking for subjects. Notes saved to an xml file defined

in properties file

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  17:18:34  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recompiled the version and put it back up again just now. Found I had problems on a Windows machine with an xml file. I was trying to trim down the JDOM included files but obviously something was missing that makes the thing not work as a stand alone jar file.

Any comments or friendly critiques out there for this tool?

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  06:33:36  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I changed the home page again. Same location different set up. Decided not to host the index as HTML pages but zip them up for download.

http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/

Added in a first pass at George Krashos' new Impiltur Dragon article. I have two files for download. Both are zip files. One has the entire set of sources in HTML as well as the default JAR file program. (about 2.2 MB download)

The other has only the HTML files for covering the Impiltur article for review as well as the Jar file to only start up with the Impiltur article (using the supplied Danali.ini and Danali.properties files).

if you use the program and create a set of notes, consider shooting them my way for inclusion in future updates (the notes.xml file that gets created).

EvilKnight

Edited by - EvilKnight on 16 Jul 2006 06:35:46
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  01:47:42  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Back again. Added Requiem of the Shadow Serpent from the Oct Dungeon to the index. I've only added a few more pages to the FRCS. I'm within 5 pages of the end of the Geography section. the Impiltur one hasn't been updated.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  05:38:58  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added some new features to help with Errata.

1. Notes can now include links to other subjects and they come out in the HTML generated also (See Thelnam, Tower of Lamentation, Tower Ithfel, and -72 DR Year of Splendor as examples).
2. Have a set of notes permenent in the jar file to add to.
3. Did a review and cleanup of entries for I-TLK, MF, RotSS, VoW, SoG and TGP.

Still working the FRCS. As soon as I finish that and do a cleanup of its entries, I plan on having it hosted here on Candlekeep.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  08:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

Still working the FRCS. As soon as I finish that and do a cleanup of its entries, I plan on having it hosted here on Candlekeep.

EvilKnight

Well met

And it will be a pleasure to make room on the shelf for thy work, EvilKnight Keep up the good work.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  03:30:39  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello scribes,

The latest is up with The Twilight Tomb index added.

version 1.0
-Put ability for subject hyperlinks in notes panel for cross referencing.
-Added diacritic markings to source listing and source detail.
-Added hyperlink support into source notes on detail and html output.
-Added tooltip pop up to source abbreviation in generated html.
-Fix to funky HTML format in source listing in generated HTML.
-Divided up HTML generated pages so they would be smaller.
-Changed sorting to sort word-by-word.
-Cleaned up detail HTML generated pages to a more compact form.
-Created input file from jar file for start.htm page for generated HTML.
-Updated Cascade Style Sheet (CSS) file for integration into Candlekeep site's look and feel
-Fix print all bookmarks layout (still not paginating well).
-Right click on detail pane puts it into XML view of subject (start of ability to make changes).

See link in my sig.

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000