Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Spreading of the Rage...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  09:22:22  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So all the dragons are going crazy and eating most anything...
But how fast is the rage spreading? Is it blanketing the entire realms and weak willed dragons succumb faster or is it spreading like a ripple effect? I read the Rite and i'm guessing ripple effect.

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  09:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spreading as fast as you can imagine, but not too fast not too slow, except that the effects of the rage waxes strongly as time passes. Weak willed wryms? I assumed that they will fall into the rage easily, strong willed ones take a little more time to succumb to the rage. Whether it is blanketing the realms? I say yes.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  14:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this have anything to do with that King Killer star?

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  14:39:35  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, this is in reference to Richard Lee Byers novel trilogy - especially the first book, "The Rage," but of course encompassing the whole trilogy as well.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  22:41:10  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to disagree too strongly, but it absolutely does have to do with the King Killer Star. The Rage occurs when the star is visible in Faerun's firmament. The explanation for these "rages" or flights of dragons is detailed in the Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy, which involves an "unnatural" rage sans the star's appearance. The repurcusions of this most recent rage are also detailed in the two Realms of hte Dragons anthologies and Queen of the Depths.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:32:15  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Not to disagree too strongly, but it absolutely does have to do with the King Killer Star. The Rage occurs when the star is visible in Faerun's firmament. The explanation for these "rages" or flights of dragons is detailed in the Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy, which involves an "unnatural" rage sans the star's appearance. The repurcusions of this most recent rage are also detailed in the two Realms of hte Dragons anthologies and Queen of the Depths.

Hmm... but not once did Richard Lee Byers mention the King Killer Star in the Year of Rogue Dragon series.

As for how fast the Rage is spreading, it depends totally on the dragon itself. I wouldn't use "strong-willed" or "weak willed" because in the novels the King of the Talon of Justice, Lareth, succumbed to the Rage even though he is one of the most powerful dragons.

I think it has more to do with the wisdom of the dragons as the ones that seem truly wise and less likely to act rashly don't seem to fall into maddness.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:38:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Lareth also refused to sleep, originally because he trusted no one else to guard the slumbering dragons, but eventually due to paranoia. I don't think he was either weak willed, nor unwise, he just made a mistake and pushed himself too far, so far that he couldn't resist the Rage anymore.

Its entirely possible that the Mythal that the elves created to cause the Rage was set to "go off" whenever the King Killer Star appeared, as a sort of timing device. As Tom pointed out, Sammaster altered the Mythal's natural rythym. I wouldn't necissarily say this was a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  03:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually prefered the idea that the Dragon rages where natural rather than induced event

A few ideas

The Elves created the Mythral so a rage would happan every X number of years. The X happans to be the same amount of time it takes for the King Killer to leave Toril system and reenter ie Much like Haleys Comet which reappears every 70 years or so)

A cool idea would have been to actually put the Mythral on the Comet so every time Comet comes close to Toril all of the Dragons go into a Rage. it would have been a smart move for the elves to as the Dragons would never be able to find the Mythral

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  03:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I invite you all to look up "Prisoner of Hulburg," Richard Lee Byers' story in Realms of the Dragons, which clarifies the relationship between the Rage and the King-Killer.
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  08:38:31  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But how fast is it spreading, most of the choas occured in the north, what about the dragons in say, Halruaa or Dambrath etc. are they just not mentioned. In Realms of Dragons they mentioned Foilsunder (a green going crazy in the Winterwood) and thats somewhere along the lake of steam...One of Var (or Estagund) main cities is secetly ruled by a dragon (a king raging)...The Rite seemed to indicate a source to the Rage in the North, so a ripple effect makes sense, but Foilsunder so far from the north raging...confusion

Edited by - TwigB on 14 Oct 2005 08:49:16
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  13:01:25  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TwigB

But how fast is it spreading, most of the choas occured in the north, what about the dragons in say, Halruaa or Dambrath etc. are they just not mentioned. In Realms of Dragons they mentioned Foilsunder (a green going crazy in the Winterwood) and thats somewhere along the lake of steam...One of Var (or Estagund) main cities is secetly ruled by a dragon (a king raging)...The Rite seemed to indicate a source to the Rage in the North, so a ripple effect makes sense, but Foilsunder so far from the north raging...confusion

That simply means Foilsunder has the mental strenght of a banana.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000