Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  08:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings All

A long time lurker first time poster with a request for realms lore is there an index with a link to a description of every spell in every source book and module from 1e to 3.5 written for the Realms. Preferably with the old regional descriptors that show where it comes from, Thay, Amn, or what ever. I would eventually like to see all of these spells converted to 3.5. It is my humble opinion that Realms magic is the best magic, and that any campaign would greatly benefit from a focus on more Realms specific spells. PHB spells and complete arcane spells are fine but they just don’t have the flavor of the Realms. There should be a complete source for all of the Realms spells, if the sages have this hidden under a rock some where please point the way thanks in advance.

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  17:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

My word! Indeed, 'twould be a great resource and I have actually thought of putting this together myself in the past. Alas, I know not of a current list of spells.

We have kept on top of PrC's and Feats, however, and contain complete lists herein, but have yet to put together spell lists. Maybe one day...

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  17:34:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

My word! Indeed, 'twould be a great resource and I have actually thought of putting this together myself in the past. Alas, I know not of a current list of spells.

We have kept on top of PrC's and Feats, however, and contain complete lists herein, but have yet to put together spell lists. Maybe one day...

Why do I feel a beady pair of eyes staring at me over this.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  18:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings All

Thanks for the kind replies gentile moderators. One too many games of Baulders Gate when I was young has caused me to believe that candle keep should have a copy of every spell. I had noticed that Evil Knight has a link to an indexing format for the module Sons of Gruumsh in the forgotten realms RPG products forum. I think this format would be ideal for an index of spells. The keys to making this index a +5 resource as apposed to just +1 would be to use this format with the following changes.

1. All spells should have a complete entry with description in its original format from its original source. All to be listed with a page number.
2. A seconded entry should be provided that up dates the spell to 3.5 yes this should include all the lost spells those that went missing with addition changes like the ones in Volos guide.
3. Spells should be indexed alphabetically by class and level.
4. Regional descriptors are a must the loss of this info in later additions {3.5} was a mistake one of the keys that make the realms the best setting ever is regional flavor.
5. Where ever possible additional Realms lore should be gathered on spells that have a tie to major NPC or events in the realms. The history of the spell who wrought it and why.
6. This should then be put in a nice PDF file for free download.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  18:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Well met

Oh I wouldn't dream of it, my dear Kuje

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  18:36:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Well met

Oh I wouldn't dream of it, my dear Kuje

Shivers and walks away mumbling.

But seriously, maybe someday I'll tackle this.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  21:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At one point in time, I had a document that most of the spells......not sure if i still do though..*thinks*

Edit: It's just a list of spells, and what book it is in (3.x only). It doesn't have a spell desciption or page numbers.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 29 Oct 2005 21:23:16
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  00:34:48  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Aye, this would be a useful tool. However - before anyone jumps all over working on it - I might suggest waiting until the Spell Compendium comes out in December. It is supposed to have a general new format for spells - including what they look like and such - which I think is a great addition.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  17:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings All

Its worth notice that the new spell format may be much superior to any previous format used as I suspect it will take a more aggressive shot at classifying spells by type. I do not think that the format will be all that is needed for the proper recording of realms spells. At the vary least the realms spells will need to have a spot for region of origin, lore, and source reference. A complete reference on realms spells would include any ritual or group circle magic that appear in realms lore.
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  18:47:21  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firhyanda, your idea sounds like a +6 supplement, at least, the only problem is that these two points, together:
quote:
Originally posted by Firhyanda

1. All spells should have a complete entry with description in its original format from its original source. All to be listed with a page number.
6. This should then be put in a nice PDF file for free download.

are likely to violate all kinds of IP as far as WotC is concerned. It's the "complete entry" and the "free" part that they're likely to object to. However, a reference to all the spells published, where to find them, and 3.5 updates to all the ones not now represented would probably be kosher. You could also add additional descriptions and regional listings for spells currently in publication, without too much trouble.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  03:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to give this a try, as I know it would be helpful to myself. So, off to work it is...
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  06:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a rather extensive list a few days ago, which includes fun stuff like Duhlark's Animerge, Dragonshape, and many other old FR spells. I'll pass it along, although is fairly easy to find in Google...

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  06:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

I found a rather extensive list a few days ago, which includes fun stuff like Duhlark's Animerge, Dragonshape, and many other old FR spells. I'll pass it along, although is fairly easy to find in Google...

Okay, thanks.

Anyone willing to do a rules vet on an epic version of Phezult's Sleep of Ages for me? I'm currently reading an issue of KoDT just so I can clear my head before doing the reverse of it...
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  08:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Greetings All

Here is a link to a good index of most of the more current realms spells by book which gives page numbers and may be some help as a reference for this project.
See Source Books.
http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/index.asp
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  13:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like a lot of spells. It would take a while to locate every new spell that has been cast. I can bet if you wanted to make a "complete" list. You would have to factor in hedge wizard cantrips and the like

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  15:24:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One very important thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the "abilities" of previous realms spells have been comprised into item creation and metamagic feats. In my view, this has done a SERIOUS good job of improving the magic system and limiting the abilities of the various mages. For instance, in 2E, there were dozens of contingent spells that stored other spells. This was a serious flaw (granted, I used them because they were there, after all that was the realms of the time...). The fact that now there are feats like gem magic and contingent spell and tattoo magic to replace the previous spells that anyone could learn does a great job (and each has their own unique place). Similarly transdimensional spell, and the prestige class abilities that require a character to give up SOMETHING in order to gain things like elemental substitution, better counterspelling, etc... also help a lot. Each mage now has their own tricks, and they can't change their tricks totally from day to day (but they still have enough flexibility that they don't have to keep doing the same things).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  00:58:51  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

IMO this could be a great work of "historical research". To look at the first description used decades ago and to see how this particular spell evolved throughout the editions of (A)D&D. It will be a good source for everyone looking for long lost FR spells.

Many of the old 1e/2e spells were originally printed in the Dragon mags of the 80' and early 90'. It would be a pleasure to give this informations (Spell name - issue & page) to the one with this great task .
Actually i am stil using the old ToVK. Years ago i had enough time to put about 350 of the FR spells in the db. Now i am trying to fill a new db for the ToVK with teh 3 & 3.5 versions of FR Spells with the actual description and some additional information about the Origin(developed by which person and geographical area) and most recent 2Ed. source. Maybe this would be also of some help.

I apologize for my terrible english
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000