Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 What supplements to buy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  00:43:16  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I need advice on what I should buy for the Realms. I already have, FRCS, PGF, MoF, F&P, RoF. What I'm really asking is which of the supplements I should guet, other than what I have. I'm currently running a game w/my wife (will add players in future) that is set mostly in the sword coast, but could potentially cover all of Faerun. She is currently in Amn (started in Tethyr) but is heading towards Baldur's Gate and possibly Waterdeep, though she may not stay there. I am on a tight budget, so a good ranking, i guess, is in order.

Thanks

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  00:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suggest either Underdark or Lost Empires of Faerun(preferably the latter) as they're useful no matter where in the Realms she travels.
Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:19:58  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx. I'll look into it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're going to do Waterdeep, then you need City of Splendors: Waterdeep, too.

Are you just sticking with 3.x stuff, or are you willing to track down older material?

And for operating on a budget, you can't beat free. Wizards offers a lot of free downloads.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certain scribes in "the know" have leaked that there is some sort of update coming for Amn, this update COULD come in the form of a Lands of Intrigue source book

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:41:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And for operating on a budget, you can't beat free. Wizards offers a lot of free downloads.

Yeah, I mentioned that over at WotC. Shike said he's already aware of them .

And just in case you read this first Shike... I'll echo my comments for both the 2e Faiths & Avatars and Powers & Pantheons. Additionally, Demihuman Deities is useful as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Certain scribes in "the know" have leaked that there is some sort of update coming for Amn, this update COULD come in the form of a Lands of Intrigue source book

For some reason, I'm thinking it'll be by way of SK-style nation entries in Powers of Faerun...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

For some reason, I'm thinking it'll be by way of SK-style nation entries in Powers of Faerun...

Aghhh dont even suggest that! The hodgepodged regional description is one of the things I hate most about Serpent Kingdoms!!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  02:53:29  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, I mentioned that over at WotC. Shike said he's already aware of them .

And just in case you read this first Shike... I'll echo my comments for both the 2e Faiths & Avatars and Powers & Pantheons. Additionally, Demihuman Deities is useful as well.

Thank you sage.

BTW, I figured I'd post in both places, thinking i'd get different opinions.

Anyway, I'll take a look for the old 2e stuff. Any good opinions on where to start??

Also, to echo a question on my Wotc board, is there any good info on Baldur's Gate (non computer game stuff at least?)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  03:13:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shike

Anyway, I'll take a look for the old 2e stuff. Any good opinions on where to start??
Most of the 2e FR boxed sets are great resources to have on hand, although they can be a little expensive depending upon where you buy them.

quote:
Also, to echo a question on my Wotc board, is there any good info on Baldur's Gate (non computer game stuff at least?)

The 2e Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast has a full section on Baldur's Gate.

Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  17:29:37  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THanks. Well, all this will have to wait a few months or so, now that I look at upcoming bills etc.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  00:53:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's always the PDF versions, which are alot cheaper. Although I recall you mentioning that you don't like to read them very much.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Nov 2005 00:53:51
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  05:52:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, one can always skim the text in Acrobat, and then print the pages one need to look extra closely at.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  14:27:36  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
www.nobleknight.com has a bunch of old supplements for sale - helps that you get it for free, but the items are a bit pricey.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  17:49:20  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have begun printing things to help my eyes. I love the computer, but I really do not want to have to get new glasses every year.

Anyway, I will peruse the information I have and ask questions as needed for now. Thanks all for your helpful replies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000