Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Monk of the Iron Gauntlet
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  01:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently running a campaign where the PC's are members of the Zhentarim. One of them has mentioned an interest in becoming a Monk of the Iron Gauntlet (see Lords of Darkness).

There is not yet a PrC for this class so I decided to make one. I have never made a PrC so be gentle....

I just want to know if it appears over-powered or under-powered (I'm sure it's not underpowered). Remember, It's a work in progress.

I used Monk of Long Death (PGtF), Sacred Fist (CD), and Sun Soul Monk (CoS:W) as references.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 04 Nov 2005 04:20:09

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  03:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too overpowered-you've too many class abilities+monk abilities. Either drop the monk abilities or do one other class ability every two levels.

Also, if death touch is what it sounds like(a touch attack causing death), watch it very carefully, especially for uses per day and DC.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  04:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I think it's done. Arivia, thanks for the comments, the death touch isn't as powerful as it looks from the name, it's actually a domain ability (also given to Monk's of the Long Death). Here's the completed version. Let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  04:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Prestige Class has been reworked and posted as the 13th post on this thread. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I left the "old" ability chart so people can see what it used to be.

Thanks.

BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities

1. +0 +0 +2 +2 Monk Abilities, Poison Use
2. +1 +0 +3 +3 -----
3. +2 +1 +3 +3 Sneak Attack +1d6
4. +3 +1 +4 +4 Death Attack
5. +3 +1 +4 +4 Ki Strike (Evil)
6. +4 +2 +5 +5 Sneak Attack +2d6
7. +5 +2 +5 +5 -----
8. +6 +2 +6 +6 Hide in Plain Sight
9. +6 +3 +6 +6 Sneak Attack +3d6
10.+7 +3 +7 +7 Death Touch

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 06 Nov 2005 16:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  04:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Justification for Features (why I put them where I did):

Monk Abilities: I thought this was absolutely necessary since the class is called Monk of the Iron Gauntlet.

Poison Use: Again, I thought this was absolutely necessary. With craft (poisonmaking) as a prerequisite and the class being a type of assassin I didn’t see how I could do without it.

Sneak Attack: This is one of the abilities that made me worry about making it too powerful. The Lords of Darkness (page 97) says they are trained in stealth and assassinations so I figured it needed sneak attack. In an effort to make it less powerful I gave only +3d6 levels of sneak attack bonus instead of +4d6 that 10 levels of rogue or assassin would give you.

Death Attack: Again, because the Lords of Darkness (page 97) says they are trained in stealth and assassinations I thought this was absolutely necessary. I chose not to give it out at 1st level because I didn’t want to front load the class and I didn’t want this to outshine the assassin as far as assassinations go.

Ki Strike (Evil): Just a cool ability for a monk class. If a character goes straight monk it gets an alignment Ki strike at level 10 (lawful). If they choose to go Monk 5/ Monk of Iron Gauntlet 5 they will also get an alignment based Ki strike at 10th level (evil). That is the formula I used to determine the appropriate level of this ability.

Hide in Plain Sight: Added because it’s an important ability for assassin types. I kept it at the same level as the assassin prestige class.

Death Touch: This one I took from the Monk of the Long Death PrC in the Players Guide to Faerun. At first I thought it was too powerful but it is really a once per day 10d6 ability that can’t be used until the character is 15th level.

This class is very similar to the assassin except I took away all of the following….
All spell casting abilities
Reduced the assassin’s sneak attack by +1d6
Removed Uncanny Dodge Abilities
Eliminated the bonus to poison saves.

Instead I added the following….
Monk Abilities
Ki Strike (evil)
Death Touch

Alright, that is my justification. Please feel free to pick me apart and point out anything that is illogical, slightly off, or just plain ridiculous.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 04 Nov 2005 22:57:58
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  06:06:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . it looks good at this point. I'll look at it a little more in depth later on. I may end up using your fine work for Monk of the Long Death in my campaign that was disgraced and had to leave his order and is now working for the Zhentarim . . .
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  10:16:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watch all of my hard work be wasted when Mysteries of the Moonsea is released.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  11:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like too much of your work, Chosen!

Certainly, I will use the monks of the iron gauntlet in my adventures (now that the group have a baaaaaad impression with the zentharim)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  13:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody on the WOTC boars suggested moving the Death Attack Ability down to 7th level. What do you guys think? Is it too powerful at 4th level?

Note:
Assassin PrC gets death attack at level 1

Monk of Long Death gets death attack at level 6
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  13:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly should be higher than the monk of the long death, since that is exclusively what they train in.

7th is a reasonable suggestion
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  13:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
possibly you should but 7 might be too far. Try 5th. But other wise, I really like the class.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  16:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I made some changes based on suggestions from here and boards on other forums. I have changed Death Touch to an ability called Strike of Hatred that does 1d6 per level and kills the victim if reduced to 0 hitpoints.

I gave this ability at 1st level, it may look too powerful at first glance but it's a once per day ability and will do less damage than the normal unarmed strikes until the monk gains a few levels. I really don't think it's overpowered, let me know what you guys think.

As of now I have not eliminated Hide in Plain Sight but it's being considered.

I have eliminated Poison Use and the requirement of Craft (poisonmaking). Does this make the PrC too easy to take? Should I add something as a requirement? Perhaps ranks in another skill.

Feeback would be appreciated, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  16:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monk of the Iron Gauntlet
The Zhentarim, also known as the Black Network, is an organization that strikes fear into the hearts of folk all over Faerun. Although the organization started around the Moonsea members can now be found anywhere in Faerun.

Not long ago Scyllua Darkope, Castellan of Zhentil keep ordered Mara Kalaliv to actively recruit members into the newest branch of the Black Network. Through rigorous, sometimes torturous, training the members of this vile order have developed into an elite force, skilled in the areas of stealth and assassinations. This deadly branch of the Black Network is known as the Order of the Iron Gauntlet.

Most Monks of the Iron Gauntlet are trained in Zhentil Keep or Citadel of the Raven but some Iron Gauntlet Monk’s are starting to spread out, training recruits in all reaches of the organization. Despite its vast numbers, Darkhold is essentially devoid of Monks of the Iron Gauntlet due to the Lawful requirement (most in Darkhold are chaotic Cyricists).

Monks make up the majority of the candidates for this prestige class, but the prestige class complements the abilities of a rogue or ranger as well. Clerics of been have also been known to devote themselves to the order. Fighters usually lack the skills to become a Monk of the Iron Gauntlet and arcane casters do not generally find it worth it to lose their casting for the benefits of the class. Barbarians, Bards, Druids, and Paladins (obviously) cannot access this class due to the alignment restrictions.
Hit Die: D8

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a monk of the Iron Guantlet, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Skills: Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stealthy
Special: The candidate must be a member of the Zhentarim in good standing. The candidate must aslo be inducted into the Order of the Iron Gaunlet.

CLASS SKILLS
The Monk of the Iron Gauntlet’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities

1. +0 +0 +2 +2 Monk Abilities, Strike of Hatred
2. +1 +0 +3 +3 Quick Stealth, Lesser
3. +2 +1 +3 +3 Sneak Attack +1d6
4. +3 +1 +4 +4 Death Attack
5. +3 +1 +4 +4 Ki Strike (Evil)
6. +4 +2 +5 +5 Sneak Attack +2d6
7. +5 +2 +5 +5 Quick Stealth, Greater
8. +6 +2 +6 +6 Hide in Plain Sight
9. +6 +3 +6 +6 Sneak Attack +3d6
10.+7 +3 +7 +7 Ki Strike (Cold Iron)

CLASS FEATURES
All the following are class features of the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Monks of the Iron Gauntlet gain no proficiency with any weapon, armor, or shield. Armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble, and double the normal armor check penalty applies to Swim checks.
Monk Abilities (Ex): A Monk of the Iron Gauntlet has the unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus of a monk whose level is equal to his Monk of the Iron Gauntlet level (see Table 3-10: the Monk on page 40 of the Player’s Handbook). If he also has monk levels, his levels in the two classes stack for the purpose of determining these abilities.
Strike of Hatred: Through their training the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet is conditioned to Hate the enemies of the Zhentarim. The Monk of the Iron Gauntlet is then taught to channel that hate into a single deadly. Once per day, a Monk of the Iron Gauntlet may make a Strike of Hate attack. The Strike of Hatred ability is a touch attack that must be declared before the attack takes place. If successful, the victim takes 1d6 damage per Monk of the Iron Gauntlet class level. If the damage dealt by the Strike of Hatred reduces the victim to 0 or fewer hitpoints the victim dies immediately. The damage dealt by this ability is physical damage, therefore is subject to damage reduction.
Quick Stealth: Through the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet’s extensive stealth training he has learned to move silently without hampering his speed. At 2nd level (Quicken Stealth, Lesser) the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet may move more than half movement without taking –5 to move silently as long as they move less than their full movement. At 7th level (Quicken Stealth, Greater) the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet may move his full movement without taking a penalty to move silently checks.
Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every three levels (3rd, 6th, 9th). If a Monk of the Iron Gauntlet gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses on the damage stack.
Death Attack: At 4th level, the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet gains the ability to make a death attack. This ability functions like the assassin ability of the same name, except that the save DC is 10 + Monk of the Iron Gauntlet level + the character’s Int modifier (see page 180 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide for more information).
If the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet also has the death attack ability from another class (such as assassin), levels of that class stack with his Monk of the Iron Gauntlet levels for the purpose of determining the save DC.
Ki Strike (Evil): At 5th level, a Monk of the Iron Gauntlet is so consumed with the evil motivations of the Black Network that his unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. His unarmed attacks are treated as evil (unholy) weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
Hide in Plain Sight: At 8th level, a Monk of the Iron Gauntlet can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a Monk of the Iron Gauntlet can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.
Ki Strike (Cold Iron): At 10th level the Monk of the Iron Gauntlet fists have become as hard as iron. At 10th level, his unarmed attacks are treated as cold iron weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 06 Nov 2005 16:37:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000