Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Unbalanced Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Solomon
Acolyte

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  12:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Solomon's Homepage Send Solomon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Foreword: I am not sure if I have selected the appropriate forum for this post (I had considered the 'Running the Realms' forum but decided against it) - if I have chosen incorrectly, please let me know. While surfing the forums, I read two interesting threads entitled 'What is the most powerful and useful spell?' and 'the rarity of non-core spells'. These threads inspired me to begin the following thread of my own.

I'm sure some of you have played the computer roleplaying game 'Neverwinter Nights', which uses slightly-modified 3rd Edition rules and the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. The following spell is available to arcane spellcasters:

Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 6
School: Evocation
Descriptor(s):
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Long
Area of Effect / Target: Gargantuan
Duration: Instant
Additional Counter Spells:
Save: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A number of energy missiles (one per caster level but to a maximum of 20) appear and randomly target and hit any hostile creature in the area of effect. If there are more creatures than missiles, only the closest targets will be damaged. If there are more missiles than creatures, one of the creatures will be hit with multiple missiles. Each missile does 2d6 points of damage.

I would declare this an unbalanced, or 'broken' spell. I would like to hear your thoughts, and was wondering if other members of the forums would like to contribute their own examples of or thoughts on unbalanced or overpowered spells (preferably 3rd Edition, but 2nd Edition is fine too). I think this information could be useful for campaign builders and DMs.

Mod edit: Moved to the correct shelf.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Mar 2006 12:59:47

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  17:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
40d6 total damage for a 6th level spell?
That's absolutely overbalanced!!!

I would suggest, that you always check the spell damage from other spells of the same level. For example 1st level spells should never make more then 5d4+5 damage (as magic missile), 3rd level never more then 10d6 damage (as fireball or lightning bolt) etc.

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  18:17:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 40d6 is of course for a caster of level 20 or more.

Fireball can do more damage in total hit points because each creature in area is subject to 10d6 and there can be 40 or more creatures in a radius of 20 feet, which would deal out 400d6 points of damage, 200d6 if all in area made save. Of course these is a area spell as oposed to trageted spell, there clearly may not be 40 targets in rea of effect.

With the improved magic missle spell (which is what it most strikes me as) if there is only one foe in area of effect that person indeed would be subjected to 40d6 damage, which will likely take out most 15 level or lower foes (average damage 140 hit points) and certainly could take out higher then 20 level Wizards of other low Hit dice classes.

Thus depending on the situation, the spell indeed might be too powerful and in other cases weaker then fireball.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  18:51:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like one of the Isaac's Missile Storms to me. (Which, indeed, is an improved version of magic missile). Very useful against creatures with low SR.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Solomon
Acolyte

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  00:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Solomon's Homepage Send Solomon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting observations - particularly the unbalanced potential of fireball and other area-effect damage spells. Thankyou to whomever moved this thread, and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

To Kajehase: it is indeed Isaac's Greater Missile Storm, and it certainly is a potent spell in the game - when maximized through use of the Maximize Spell metamagic feat (cast by a 20th level arcane spellcaster) taking up a 9th level spell slot, it is capable of dealing 240 points of damage to a single creature. The designers probably didn't *intend* for it to be used in this manner - they intended it to be used on packs of enemies, but it is very deadly when used like this.

I understand that my example came from a computer game which uses a modified version of the 3rd Edition rules (it's still unbalanced). But I was wondering if we could come up with more examples of spells which are unbalanced or overpowered. By all means, don't limit yourself to damage-dealing spells or spells from the core rulebooks, either.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000