Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Arcane magic in the Lands of Intrigue
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  11:22:04  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm working on a few ideas for new wizard and sorcerer groups in the Lands of Intrigue and surrounding area (Calimshan, Lake of Steam, Vilhon Reach and the Western Heartlands), and I'm interested in knowing whether the region has any in official or semi-official lore.

At the moment the only ones I can think of are the Cowled Wizards, the church of Azuth, and the Monks of the Darkmoon (Shar's order of Monk/Sorcerers), but I'm sure there are others, even if they're only given a brief name check.

For the record, the new groups I'm currently working on include:

- The Brotherhood of Loss, a cult of shadow weave users associated with the Dark Embrace (the temple of Shar in southern Amn).
- The Royal Academy of Wizards, a newly formed school in Tethyr.
- The Circle of Fear, a small group of Banite wizards and sorcerers based in Kzelter.

Edited by - nbnmare on 13 Mar 2006 11:27:25

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  14:07:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll want the Lands of Intrigue boxed set available for free download at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Additionally, Steven Schend's Empires of the Shining Sea provides some great material on Calimshan, as does the Calimport sourcebook (also available for free download at the URL I linked to above). The Lake of Steam is also covered within these tomes as well.

The Vilhon Reach has a sourcebook of its own -- and is available for download on at WotC as well (see the URL above).

The Western Heartlands are somewhat covered in Elminster's Ecologies and the two Appendix tomes also released (and again, available for free download at WotC -- see the link above).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  14:09:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... and I suggest you also read through Steven's compiled replies made here at Candlekeep. Inside you'll find plenty of his ponderings on Calimshan and the other areas surrounding the realm.

His replies can be found in the files on Kuje's website -- his URL:- http://home.rochester.rr.com/kuje/

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  16:33:38  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably have mentioned it, but I already have both those tomes, plus most others that are relevant, e.g. Cloak & Dagger and Lords of Darkness. What I'm wonder is if I've overlooked anyone(very easy to do if they're only mentioned in f.ex a single sentence ;)).

I didn't know about the compilation of Steven's replies though, so thanks for that - I'll check it out when I get home this evening :).

EDIT: I can confirm that I've missed at least one - the Mystic's Academy in Erlkazar, where a certain Zallanora Argentresses completed an apprenticeship.

Edited by - nbnmare on 13 Mar 2006 21:46:02
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  14:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

I should probably have mentioned it, but I already have both those tomes, plus most others that are relevant, e.g. Cloak & Dagger and Lords of Darkness. What I'm wonder is if I've overlooked anyone(very easy to do if they're only mentioned in f.ex a single sentence ;)).

I didn't know about the compilation of Steven's replies though, so thanks for that - I'll check it out when I get home this evening :).

EDIT: I can confirm that I've missed at least one - the Mystic's Academy in Erlkazar, where a certain Zallanora Argentresses completed an apprenticeship.

The Brothers Kolat of Waterdeep (2nd Ed City of Splendors box) also graduated from the Mystics' Academy and taught there a short time. Yet another graduate of that school is a secondary character in the upcoming BLACKSTAFF.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000