Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Night Below - Underdark campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:13:14  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This boxed set has been discussed on several scrolls recently. I bought a set on eBay, but it was missing the "eight-page booklet of new MONSTROUS COMPENDIUM entries, detailing three new races and two new monsters."

Would someone who has it please post which critters are covered? I would hate to go through the trouble and expense of repacking and returning it if the monsters are things which appear in the 3rd edition books and aren't unique to this campaign.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:39:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nasty critters are:
Aboleth, Savant
Elf Rockseer ()
Ixitxachitl, Ixzan
Eel, Giant Moray
Golem, Shaboath

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 16 Mar 2006 00:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

The nasty critters are:
Aboleth, Savant
Elf Rockseer ()
Ixitxachitl, Ixzan
Eel, Giant Moray
Golem, Shaboath

Aboleth savants and shaboaths are in Lords of Madness; ixzan are in Lost Empires of Faerun; and there are eel stats in Stormwrack.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  02:06:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Elf Rockseer ()

I kinda liked the concept behind the Rockseer elves...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  02:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope it's ok for me to post a quick summary of rockseer abilities, if not, a mod can let me know and I'll delete it. Anyway, all of these are 2e stats, and would need to be converted for a 3e game.

Rockseers are elves with the following abilities (they're sorta like an elven version of the deep gnome):
+1 attack roll with swords (not bows)
90% resistence to sleep, charm, hold, and web spells
Immune to petrification
50% resistence to all earth spells; -1 to saving throw for air spells
meld into stone at will
(at 3rd level) stone walk 1/day (100 yards/level above 2nd, 1 additional passenger/level above 8)
(at 5th level) stone shape 1/day
(at 9th level) stone tell 1/day

3 rockseers together can cast wall of stone at will
5 together can summon a huge earth elemental 1/day (20 HD, at least 5 hp/die; whatever that translates to in 3e)

Rockseer wizards gain additional earth spells as they gain levels, and can create a gem dragon construct familiar (which can have the eyebite power). They also add their level to their resistence to earth spells, and impose a -1 saving throw penalty/five levels when casting earth spells. Rockseers have no clerics (believe themselves traitors to the elven gods, and therefore they went into hiding)

All rockseers get -1 Str, Con, Chr and +1 Int, Wis, Dex

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  03:34:45  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a great campaign. I ran it right after it came out, placing it in Sembia a couple of weeks travel from Ordulin. (Back then Sembia was a blank spot with the city of Ordulin detailed in the 2ed FR hardback). I wanted to grant access (but not easy access) to a large city and didn't want to tread on any existing realms stuff.

I'm kind of curious about where others have dropped or plan on dropping this into the Realms in their games (or if they have even tried).

I usually run my own scenarios (or adapt small ones that I like from Dungeon that are easily transplanted), but this particular one was too good to pass on. The same was true for the Freeport series by Green Ronin, which I adapted to the Pirate Isles.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  03:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also had a lot of fun playing it, though I stuck it in the Dalelands. I pushed Maerimydra way off to the side and used the Shadowdale adventure in the 2e Revised campaign setting at the gateway. The group travelled down the river into deeper depths, and I conviently blocked any easy way up. Made what to do with rescued slaves a much larger issue.

Since I played psionics in all their 2e broken glory, I had my players create new characters at 1st level, and made sure at least half of them were either multi or single classed psionicsts. I also imported everything psionic from Dark Sun to make things even deadlier. We had a lot of fun, especially since the group was one that had been gaming with me for a long while (they're my chronomancer group), and they were able to pull all sorts of threads they'd established in tha campaign into the new one.

The end turned into a battle royale, with PC's, NPC's, half a dozen rockseer mages, tanar'ri, and illithids making lightning raids on Shabboath day after day. Took us a month to finish that adventure's climax.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  19:11:55  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

I'm kind of curious about where others have dropped or plan on dropping this into the Realms in their games (or if they have even tried).

I used the western part of mistledale that volos guide to the dalelands describes as "untamed wilderland" (the next best thing to "here be monsters" one can find in this gernerally civilized region) to place the Haranshire. That results in the underdark being placed mostly under sembia, as you can see on the picture below. I tried to do a better picture, but this is the best my digicam does.

http://i.domaindlx.com/chefseehund/adnd/nb/maps/nbmap01.jpg
(all names in german)

1 Cavern of the Bloodscull Orcs
2 magical „Barrier“
3 Grell Cavern
4 Trolls Cavern
5 Hook Horrors and Quagoth
6 Roper, Elven Statue
7 Abandoned Outpost of the Drow (1)
8 temple of Juiblex
9 Behir
10 Shadow Dragon (2)

(1) Abandoned Outpost of the Drow:
This is where my players found Jelenneth. They badly needed some motivation, so I let them find her a lot earlier than in the original plot

(2) Shadow Dragon:
When I copied the Underdark-map to the map of the dalelands, cormyr and semia, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the dragons cave was situated at arkhendale! I decided to add an illusion-covered exit in the walls of night (the steep face on arkhendale’s eastern side), large enough for a dragon to move through physically so he could enter and leave the cave at will in the cover of night (next to invisible – after all he’s a shadowdragon

Btw, there are several night below- related threads on candlekeep.

We've playing this monster of a campaign for 4 years now. The players (party of 7 pc's, not around level 10-12) have just killed the shadowdragon, done another LARGE sidetrack and now return to the main plot. Next session (coming saturday) one of their number will be abducted by the rockseer elves.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  21:13:53  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I hope it's ok for me to post a quick summary of rockseer abilities, if not, a mod can let me know and I'll delete it. Anyway, all of these are 2e stats, and would need to be converted for a 3e game.

Rockseers are elves with the following abilities (they're sorta like an elven version of the deep gnome):
+1 attack roll with swords (not bows)
90% resistence to sleep, charm, hold, and web spells
Immune to petrification
50% resistence to all earth spells; -1 to saving throw for air spells
meld into stone at will
(at 3rd level) stone walk 1/day (100 yards/level above 2nd, 1 additional passenger/level above 8)
(at 5th level) stone shape 1/day
(at 9th level) stone tell 1/day

3 rockseers together can cast wall of stone at will
5 together can summon a huge earth elemental 1/day (20 HD, at least 5 hp/die; whatever that translates to in 3e)

Rockseer wizards gain additional earth spells as they gain levels, and can create a gem dragon construct familiar (which can have the eyebite power). They also add their level to their resistence to earth spells, and impose a -1 saving throw penalty/five levels when casting earth spells. Rockseers have no clerics (believe themselves traitors to the elven gods, and therefore they went into hiding)

All rockseers get -1 Str, Con, Chr and +1 Int, Wis, Dex

Now I remember them, they are basically Elven Pech for lack of a better term.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  23:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met with many thanks to all who have posted so far, but what on Earth ... er ... Toril is a "Shaboath Golem"?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  00:08:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Shaboath golems are a unique creation by the Grand Savant Aboleth of the city of Shaboath. They are polymorphous watery creatures, not unlike water elementals in appearance (and are 90% likely to be mistaken for one). They are artificial watery constructs animated by a water elemental spirit, remaining under the control of the Grand Savant or another savant aboleth.

Not sure how much that helps.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  00:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Medium-strength nasty (AC 3, 11 HD, 1 Att: 2d10 dmg), 90% indistinguishable from a water elemental. No chance to break control. Can cast wall of ice 1/turn. Immune to cold/water spells and a host of secondary attacks (paralyzation, etc).

Pretty much a greater golem, dependant upon water (can't go further than 60' from water), that can only be created by grand savant aboleth. I forget where they're encountered in the adventure, so they could be anywhere between a major pain to a medium nuissance.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000