Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Extinction?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  15:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which race do u think will go extinct the fastest in Faerun? Elves, drawfs, halflings or Gnomes? And speaking of extinction, why does the drawves face extinction? I thought they never participated in any big wars like the elves e.g. "crown wars"

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  15:50:57  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dwarven fertility rate is very low, meaning more dwarves are dieing of natural causes than are being born.

There's also the fact dwarves usually have to undergo a somewhat unique practice before courting: figuring out the gender of their prospective partner .

Edited by - nbnmare on 20 Mar 2006 15:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  17:43:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

The dwarven fertility rate is very low, meaning more dwarves are dieing of natural causes than are being born.

There's also the fact dwarves usually have to undergo a somewhat unique practice before courting: figuring out the gender of their prospective partner .

Actually, the dwarven fertility rate was low. Since the Thunder Blessing of 1306, this is no longer the case.

Prior to that, dwarves were a race in decline. Not only did they have a low birth rate, but constant fighting -- be it open warfare or minor skirmishes -- against other, more prolific races further drained their numbers.

Elves seem to be making a good comeback for themselves, too. Halflings have been going strong for a long time, and they have their own nation in the Shining South.

Gnomes, on the other hand... Gnomes don't seem to be doing as well for themselves. While there are gnomish communities, gnomes as a whole seem to be in short supply (pardon the pun! ). They are sometimes called the Forgotten Folk... So, unless someone hits Evermeet, Luiren, and the Great Rift with multiple Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke spells, I think gnomes would die off before any of the other three.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  01:06:54  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

Which race do u think will go extinct the fastest in Faerun? Elves, drawfs, halflings or Gnomes? And speaking of extinction, why does the drawves face extinction? I thought they never participated in any big wars like the elves e.g. "crown wars"

Lets rank who is growing fastest:
1) Dwarves, previously their numbers are on the decline due to constant fighting, low fertility and possibly lack of females. Also, marriage doesn't seem to be a major priority to them, for their enthusiasm for war often takes first priority. Now with the Thunder Blessing by Moradin, Dwarven god of war, you can expect a large dwarven population in the years to come, but not so fast.

2) Halflings, as long as Luiren state is maintained and free of disease and war, their numbers will spike over the years to come. But halfings don't seem to fare so well in the north in finding partners.

3) Elves, elves used to be numerous but the Crown Wars and the subsequent wars had reduced their numbers. I can't say they are growing fast enough to replace their number losses. For elves tend to take a lot of time to fall in love, court each other, then marry, total up is equivalent to about two decades or so. Those shotgun marriages among elves tend to end in tragedy and sorrow. Elven fertility is low, and even so, the large numbers of half-elves already say it all.

4) Gnomes...sadly their race is kind of like fading away. Either due to wars, lack of fertility or simply lack of chemistry among the gnomes.
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  05:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard about the Thunder blessing but doesn't it affect only one type of drawves only? I think halfling would find it hard to go extinct cause they seem to be able to survive anywhere they go but what about the gnomes and dragons? As far as i know, dragons have been on the decline for ages and still they are appearing out of nowhere when it comes to rages, just how many dragons are there in Faerun anyway?

Last question, how have elves been making a comeback? From what i heard, they received no blessings at all like the drawves and even the drows were hit hard by lolth silence.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  07:03:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I heard about the Thunder blessing but doesn't it affect only one type of drawves only? I think halfling would find it hard to go extinct cause they seem to be able to survive anywhere they go but what about the gnomes and dragons? As far as i know, dragons have been on the decline for ages and still they are appearing out of nowhere when it comes to rages, just how many dragons are there in Faerun anyway?

Last question, how have elves been making a comeback? From what i heard, they received no blessings at all like the drawves and even the drows were hit hard by lolth silence.

The Thunder Blessing affected both Shield Dwarves and Gold Dwarves. Gray Dwarves lost out.

Dragons... There's a bunch of them around. Considering that many of them can fairly easily hide in plain sight, and that they are, as a whole, insanely powerful, it'll be a while before the draconic races shuffle off into the sunset.

By elves making a comeback, I refer to the fact that they've decided to end the Retreat. With Severil's Crusade and the Tree of Life being planted somewhere cold, elves are becoming more prominent than they had been for many years -- they are Returning to the mainland. So, geographically speaking, they are making a comeback.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  07:14:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years ago and I would have said the dwarves, but since the thunder blessing, they are making a come back. Now I would most likely say the elves would be most at risk. It is great that they have either officially or unofficially ended the retreat, but they have almost been devastated in the last few major skirmishes. I would honestly have a hard time believing that after the attacks on evermeet, evereska, and now the events playing out in the last mythalar trilogy that the elves would be able to survive much more as a race. I am not saying they would be wiped out, but I am thinking they would almost need their own version of a thunder blessing, in order to survive many more major battles, wars, skirmishes, etc...

Edited by - scererar on 21 Mar 2006 07:16:47
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  01:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dragons may had been on the decline ever since the Rage of Dragons kicked off. It is hard to estimate accurately the dragon numbers on Faerun, but I think each sub-race of dragons-gold, red, silver, blue-are still small and not large enough. I don't think dragons are really on the decline for though the number of Faerunian based wyrms are small, there are other wyrms in other dimensions whose numbers are still large enough to dwarf the dragon numbers in Faerun. Example of the other wyrms would be the shadow wyrms and supposedly the gem wyrms. With Tiamat and Bahamut establishing their footholds in Faerun, it is unlikely the wyrm population will go bust anytime nor sooner.

Gnomes? Probably a lack of chemistry among their people like what Silvermage said. Can't think of a reason why gnomes are not reproducing. Probably too preoccupied with their alchemy and sciences.

The elves are indeed making a comeback, but nobody knows in the future, they might repeat the Retreat again if events doesn't turn in their favor or is this recent comeback going to be labeled the "Last Return". So far the wars that ravaged Evereska, Evermeet, the High Forest, the realm of the Star Elves did reduced the elven population, there are still large pockets of Tel'Quessir here and there in Faerun. Given that the elves have very odd ways of courtship and decades worth of waiting before marriage, it is hard to think they will rise in numbers again. Furthermore, there hadn't been any confirmed news that The Tree of Life had been planted despite rumors and no official news on Prince Lamruil finding a new home for the elves.

I think Moradin gave the dwarves the thunder blessing for practical reasons for most dwarves are in almost constant war with the orcs and goblins. It is well known that Moradin disfavor Gruumsh, the orc pantheon and the Goblin pantheons. If the dwarves fade away, it would surmount to a symbolic victory for the orcs and Gruumsh, and with the orcs increasing in numbers, it seemed wise and practical for Moradin to increase the dwarves' population as well.

If no thunder blessing for elves, blame on their habits, lack of change and reforms and blame Correllon as well who stubbornly believes that the elves should handle their problems without too much aid from their gods. Furthermore the elves fervently believe they will go to Arvandor eventually to be reunited with their kin, so in my perception that almost means like reproduction don't seem important afterall whereby like "We are going to Arvandor soon and why should we let our children live in troubled war ravaged lands when we can let them live in peaceful Arvandor for eternity." I am not sure whether they can have children in Arvandor since the elves have quite an array of interpretations of life in Arvandor.

Also, partly that if the elven numbers rise again and that means elven high magic gains more power with new potential recruits, it may mean the return of the elven empires and perhaps more clashes with the rising human populations over land and borders.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 22 Mar 2006 01:36:38
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  02:20:36  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Furthermore, there hadn't been any confirmed news that The Tree of Life had been planted despite rumors and no official news on Prince Lamruil finding a new home for the elves.

I too have been wondering and waiting. It kind of went away. Hopefully Elaine's next book can reference this in some manner.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomes are not going extinct and there is a gnomish homeland: Lantan. They are called the forgotten folk because they don't care about other races so other races have a smaller chance of meeting a gnome than a non-gnome

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  16:08:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

Gnomes are not going extinct and there is a gnomish homeland: Lantan. They are called the forgotten folk because they don't care about other races so other races have a smaller chance of meeting a gnome than a non-gnome

Actually Lantan is more of a human homeland, with some gnomes living there but most of the population is human.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  16:12:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

Actually Lantan is more of a human homeland, with some gnomes living there but most of the population is human.

Indeed.

Despite all the gnomish-ness... Lantan still has a notable human presence. The tinker-like aspect of the gnomes were the result of TSR bringing the concept of the tinker gnomes into the Realms, and also largely because Gond appeared (in the form of a gnome) on the island during the Time of Troubles.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  09:04:40  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree, I thought of this as a way to bring dragonlance type gnomes to the realms. I don't think it worked out well I do still however think that the elves will remain on the short stack for extinction.

Edited by - scererar on 25 Mar 2006 09:05:12
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  15:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like everyone's pet hate is gnome and the one every nominates with an impartial mind is elves. Anyone gonna vote for humans, goblins, orcs or drow? ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  15:51:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually... gnomes are a favorite race of mine. In fact, Rastromo Meradoc -- The Sage -- is one of the more famous NPCs from my FR campaigns.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  16:07:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like everyone's pet hate is gnome and the one every nominates with an impartial mind is elves. Anyone gonna vote for humans, goblins, orcs or drow? ;)

One of my favorite characters was a gnome, I was casting my vote on all of the recent skirmishes the elves have gotten into in the last 10 to 20 years of game time. I related a part of my gnome's adventuring days and untimely demise, in the stupidist thing a character has done thread

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by scererar

I was running a Gnome Character rogue/ ill. got into a fight with a band of golbins. The 1/2 orc barbarian in our group beheaded a goblin, and my trying to be funny, cast invisibility on myself, picked up the head and went running into the melee yelling bugga bugga bugga. The DM thought it was funny, but counted it as attacking the goblins, resulting on the spell to end and the quick end to my character

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - scererar on 25 Mar 2006 16:12:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000