Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Linking to the Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:05:52  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, I had a question. I am building an RPG website and wanted to know if I could get permission to add the Candlekeep compendium to my website, or would you prefer if I linked to Candlekeep.com for them to get the information. I thank you all for the great work.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:17:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big Al is the best one to answer this... I'd imagine that providing a link back to this site would be the preferred option. But I'll let the old bearded guy speak for himself. You can contact him via email, if you like.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:51:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myself,

I'd prefer that a link be given to this website instead of adding it to someone elses web site. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  08:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shike

Hello, I had a question. I am building an RPG website and wanted to know if I could get permission to add the Candlekeep compendium to my website, or would you prefer if I linked to Candlekeep.com for them to get the information. I thank you all for the great work.

Well met

The Candlekeep Compendium is restricted to this site only and cannot be included on other sites. If ye wish to link back to the Candlekeep site or do a link exchange then i'd be happy to discuss. (This does not include direct download links to the Compendium however).

Please email me if ye wish to discuss further

Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  13:53:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Myself,

I'd prefer that a link be given to this website instead of adding it to someone elses web site. :)

Agreed. I'd rather the CC stay here at Candlekeep. To add it to other sites decreases the whole "library of Realmslore" aspect we're maintaining here at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  13:59:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

The Candlekeep Compendium is restricted to this site only and cannot be included on other sites. If ye wish to link back to the Candlekeep site or do a link exchange then i'd be happy to discuss. (This does not include direct download links to the Compendium however).

Thank ye.

Actually Big Al... I might be looking to do something similar. A number of posters at another forum I moderate for have expressed great interest in the tidbits I've shared about the CC in the past. The Head Admin staff have even asked if I can find a way to provide easier access to the downloads themselves -- I'd already suggested the possibility of a link exchange rather than hosting the CCs themselves as I'd assumed you'd want to keep the Compendiums here.

They like the idea of the link exchange... so I may just talk to you about this as well.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  16:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Well met

Thank ye.

Actually Big Al... I might be looking to do something similar. A number of posters at another forum I moderate for have expressed great interest in the tidbits I've shared about the CC in the past. The Head Admin staff have even asked if I can find a way to provide easier access to the downloads themselves -- I'd already suggested the possibility of a link exchange rather than hosting the CCs themselves as I'd assumed you'd want to keep the Compendiums here.

They like the idea of the link exchange... so I may just talk to you about this as well.

Well met

Certainly, Sage. Drop me a private note when ye wish to discuss
futher. I'm not sure what ye mean about easy access to the downloads, however

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  17:01:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure what ye mean about easy access to the downloads, however
I'm not sure I completely understand what it means either...

Personally, I don't see the problem with just clicking an external link on another forum that leads to the CC's stored here at Candlekeep. I'll ask the Admin guys what they meant by that though...

Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  18:04:53  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information, and That is what I was assuming was going to be the answer. And that is what I'll do, when I actually build that page. Can I use an Image of the cover as part of the Link?

Edited by - shike on 28 Mar 2006 18:11:17
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  20:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Personally, I don't see the problem with just clicking an external link on another forum that leads to the CC's stored here at Candlekeep. I'll ask the Admin guys what they meant by that though...

Well met

Again, that depends on what is meant here by links that "lead to the CC's stored here". If the link points directly to the actual file download, then i'm afraid that wouldn't be permitted. Linking to Candlekeep and the index page for the Compendium would be a more reasonable approach.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  20:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for the information, and That is what I was assuming was going to be the answer. And that is what I'll do, when I actually build that page. Can I use an Image of the cover as part of the Link?

Well met

Shike, email me with exactly what ye intend to do, and if thy site is in development, i'll happily lend ye a hand with this if possible. What we want to avoid, is what occured a couple of years back, where essentially an almost visually identical version of Candlekeep appeared and pulled various files etc from us, thus stealing bandwith etc.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  01:49:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Again, that depends on what is meant here by links that "lead to the CC's stored here". If the link points directly to the actual file download, then i'm afraid that wouldn't be permitted. Linking to Candlekeep and the index page for the Compendium would be a more reasonable approach.

I'm thinking that's what they meant as I'd already told them linking to the actual CC's would not be allowed. The page storing the Compendiums OTOH...

I have yet to hear back from them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000