Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Known Saurial language odours
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  20:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Something I have been meaning to request for some time now, but was only recently brought to the forefront of my mind again by something mentioned by Wooly Rupert in a scroll today...

Likely drawing mainly from the Finder's Stone Trilogy, how many different emotion odours do we know are emitted from saurials, such as Dragonbait?

For example, woodsmoke was one type of emotion, whilst vanilla was another, etc etc. I don't recall any exactly at the moment, but have been meaning to find out all that I can on what has ever been printed.

Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  20:22:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I had a file that listed these..... I wonder where it went. :(

But the WOTC web enhancement for Serpent Kingdoms has a few of them.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  20:31:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Serpent Kingdoms WE:

Scent -- Emotion
Baked bread -- Anger
Brimstone -- Confusion
Ham -- Nervousness or worry
Honeysuckle -- Tenderness
Lemons -- Pleasure or joy
Roses -- Sadness
Tar -- Victory
Violets -- Danger or fear
Wood smoke -- Devotion or piety

I'm sure more scents were listed in the novels, but I'm about 10 miles from my novels right now...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Mar 2006 20:31:39
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  23:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Ahh Wooly, that is absolutely splendid! How I missed that list within that tome is beyond me. 'twas just what I was looking for.

Any updates to this list from the novels would be appreciated if anyone can recall them at some point.

I think it's worth placing this list in the library proper... ye never know when a saurial may stop by the library and need translating Let us just hope that if there's a smell of baking bread, then it's wafting from the Candlekeep Inn instead

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  23:33:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, sure. I see how I rate. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  00:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Azure Bonds, as far as I can remember, Woodsmoke,Violets, Roses and Baked Bread appeared consistently (as you say).
Lemons was mentioned once (as a citrus smell I think that Akabar noticed whilst Dragonbait was visiting Elminster), and I 'think' Brimstone may have been mentioned. Ham I think was also mentioned at the same time as Baked Bread once (which reminded Olive how hungry she was)
I don't recall Tar or Honeysuckle being mentioned during the novel.

I'm onto the Wyverns Spur now, and then Song of the Saurials, so if I find any more I'll let you know when I get back from hols
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  09:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well met

Oh fear not, Kuje, thou art rated highly My eyes had already wandered over to the tome on the shelf with anticipation. Wooly simply saved me the trouble of walking to the other side of the room and climbing the steps to the bookcase

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  12:19:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well met

Oh fear not, Kuje, thou art rated highly My eyes had already wandered over to the tome on the shelf with anticipation. Wooly simply saved me the trouble of walking to the other side of the room and climbing the steps to the bookcase

Actually, it was the web enhancement. So I just opened a pdf.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  20:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few more, just got back from holiday and finsihed the Wyverns Spur and Song of the Saurials. There are loads more but I need time to research them in the book, these are ones I can remember offhand,

Mint - Grief

Freshly Mown hay - Arcane Spellcasting
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  20:54:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Here's a few more, just got back from holiday and finsihed the Wyverns Spur and Song of the Saurials. There are loads more but I need time to research them in the book, these are ones I can remember offhand,

Mint - Grief

Freshly Mown hay - Arcane Spellcasting

Well met

Ahh, splendid, Kaladorm. Thank ye for remembering this scroll during thy reading

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  21:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vanilla - When Dragonbait uses his Shen Sight
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  21:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies, Mint is remorse :) I misunderstood it when Dragonbait meets Coral

Cinnamon - Love

Dragonbait makes reference to smelling Coral's hope, but I can't find exactly what scent it is atm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000