Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bane or Xvim?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  21:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Tell which god was more effective in his portrayal of the power of evil and which might have made a better antagonist

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Cyric-The-Insane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  00:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Cyric-The-Insane's Homepage Send Cyric-The-Insane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane in my opinion
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  01:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shocking I know, but I also am a big fan of Bane.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  01:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane would be the more likely answer though I think there isn't much difference between his son and him. Both are reckless and cunning, fairly subtle but they both are not farsighted enough to gain success for their work.

Bane had been once a mortal, and became a god for some centuries or more, hence he knows mortals fair enough to use the knowledge for his purpose and as a god, he should had learned a fair amount of patience so he could be the better antagonist and since he is a greater power in the Pantheon, his word can be spread more quickly through his massive number of followers and priests.

Xvim...no a single chance. He was considered a lesser power even before bane returned and he is not fully a god, only half-god, half-demon and even after his father died, he had a bit of problem trying to project his teachings, power and his image as his father's followers were split between him, Bane, Cyric and "sit on the fence" followers, and his part-demonic character tends to overrule his thinking at times despite Xvim having pulled off a impressive stunt in decieving a greater power such as Lord Lathander in Tymora's Luck.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  02:03:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hardly an effective comparison. Bane simply had longer to portray his power and position than Xvim ever had the chance to in a similar capacity.

Having said that though... I think Xvim would've made the better antagonist. He wasn't as direct and "obvious" as Bane -- "Bane with style" as I recall Wooly and I once said .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Apr 2006 02:16:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  03:28:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's hardly an effective comparison. Bane simply had longer to portray his power and position than Xvim ever had the chance to in a similar capacity.

Having said that though... I think Xvim would've made the better antagonist. He wasn't as direct and "obvious" as Bane -- "Bane with style" as I recall Wooly and I once said .

Indeed. We didn't get to see nearly enough of Iyachtu Xvim... But what little we did see convinced me he had more style than Bane.

Perhaps it's due to poor writing, or maybe I've just focused on the wrong stuff, but to me, Bane is just a "Ooh, fear me! I'm eeevviilll!"-type. Iyachtu Xvim did evil stuff, too, but he was more classy about it. He had style. And for me, that's far more interesting than just raw menace. That's why I like Jarlaxle, too -- it's all about his style.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  05:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xvim is a character that has shown up repeatedly in our games, primarily because of the opportunity to kill the Demigod in the Halls of the High King adventure by Ed Greenwood.

I don't honestly know much about Xvim other than his name is a lot harder to pronounce and frankly I keep feeling he got the short end of the stick when it comes to his portrayal in Forgotten Realms. Cyric was allowed to have the lion's portion of everything right up until the end frankly.

Cyric is a God that I enjoy even if I feel he was essentially lavishly supported in Forgotten Realms at the expense of other deities.

I do think Bane felt far more mythic though.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 12 Apr 2006 05:59:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  07:11:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read Cloak & Dagger and Faiths & Avatars for more about Xvim.

I would've liked to have seen Xvim developed more after Bane's death. I would've also liked to have seen some alternative conflict brew between the clergies of Cyric and Xvim -- a kind of "deity succession war" so to speak -- a carry-on from Xvim's taking of his father's former portfolios from Cyric. Xvim had every ambition to replace the power of his father, thus I would have liked to have seen him someday rise to a point where he could be a suitable challenge to the now tiresome concept deity that is Cyric.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Apr 2006 07:13:46
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  07:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xvim wasn't a bad deity and frankly I think that he was at least extremely THOROUGH about eliminating the problem of his father. The Banefog is one of the most badass displays of divine power out there.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  15:09:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When Bane was gone from the realms... I admit it, I missed him. For a few years I was on a kick of "bring Bane Back". Then I heard more about Xvim's movements near Tethyr. I was intrigued. For once I was seeing a priest of a tyrant god with some idea of military strategy. Then I saw Fzoul turning to him. I was actually getting to a point where I really liked Xvim and saw he was a valid replacement. Then came the split in the zhentarim, which made things interesting. Then Bane came back. I truly don't know how to feel with that. Of course, that he looks kind of demonic now makes me wonder who is really at the wheel. In fact, I think it'd be interesting if the current "Bane" is actually Xvim trying to steal the name and to his own surprise the real Bane is coming back as a challenger. Perhaps the two agree to take out Cyric entirely and split the portfolios between them.... along with the aid of the vestige of Leira who reclaims her portfolio of illusions and lies.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000