Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Temple of Tyr in Dagger Falls
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From City of the Spider Queen
quote:
Mercenary Minded characters might ask Randal Morn what's in it for them. The Lord of Daggerdale is willing to pay 5000gp if asked, and he promises to cover up to 5000gp of healing and other spells at the temple of Tyr in Daggerfalls if necessary

I can't find any mention of a temple of Tyr in Dagger falls in either the FRCS or Volos Guide to the Dalelands.

Can anyone shed some light on this temple? Or it could it be a misprint and it actually means Lathander?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:20:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume this is either a typo (and should be a cleric of Lathander instead of a cleric of Tyr)... or it is actually referring to Tunfer the Stout -- an advisor to Randal Morn, he was a 7th level priest of Tyr at the time and mentioned in Rich Baker's The Dalelands.

Though a Temple of Tyr isn't mentioned in any write-ups for Dagger Falls in any 2e tomes, Tunfer is said, in Rich's supplement, to tend to wounded rebels and aid local folk in Dagger Falls . This could be the *temple* so to speak. Or, it could be that Tunfer is/was operating out of the Abbey of the Just Hammer in Tasseldale.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Apr 2006 15:24:38
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, do you know where I could find moe information about Tunfer? Particularly his relations (if any) to Tyr's Order of Holy Judgement and The Hammers of Grimjaws.

If it's not documented it might be one for old Weird Beard :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:27:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich's The Dalelands is pretty much it for references to Tunfer. We don't really learn that much about him other than his position in Randal's staff and his healing duties at Dagger Falls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  15:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of population size, Dagger Falls in FRCS is listed as about three or four times the size it was in 2E. I see this as the town slowly expanding once it's a little more secure, and with it being an important caravan stop, I can see people flocking in, including various clergy. Tyrran clergy would obviously want to uphold the justice in a place which was fairly lawless for so many years, so I can see them moving in. So that's what I'm going to do in my campaign.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  15:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other thing to consider is that Randal's rebels (called the Freedom Riders) continued their presence in Daggerdale after the end of the Zhent occupation. In fact, the Riders became the armed forces of the dale.

Given that Tunfer was chaplin and healer for the rebels, it would be logical for him to found a chapel or small temple somewhere in Dagger Falls after the end of the occupation. Having served the freedom Riders for so long, Randal would have felt obligated to give him the space he needs.

Given the marshal falvor of Tyr's faith and Tunfer's connections with the Riders, I'd say the logical choice would be to locate the chaple in either the Garrison or the Garrison Headquarters Building, both of which are located in the walled compound just south of Ilthond's Tower.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  18:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also there are plenty of unoccupied buildings left which could be converted :)

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  00:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm quite happy to go with Halidan's suggestion, will build that in, methinks.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000