Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any bad guy tips for Eldreth Veluuthra henchmen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  04:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am running a mystery campaign that will involve some cool fighting encounters that will change the way my players think of Elves in Forgotten Realms. I recently bought the Champions of Ruin sourcebook and found out about the Eldreth Veluuthra and I immediately had an idea. I would make a campaign that started 40 days into a killing spree that leaves a dead human at the base of the Feather Falls in Feather Dale. Now I have all this stuff thought up for clues, NPC's that know a peice of the large puzzle that will eventually lead to the locating and slaying of the Eldreth Veluuthra members, and locations for the players to visit. The one problem is that I want elven warrior/sorcerers/ranger/justice of weald and woe opponents for my players to fight. I have random encounters to somewhat distract the players along the way but to get to the bottom of the mystery they will be working to find out ancient information. This info will reveal a relatively unknown group (Eldreth Veluuthra) outside of the elven community at least, and stun my players with how easily the local elves never raised a hand to stop the three Eldreth Members that were slaying humans every five days. Sound good? Well please give me some ideas for how these bad elves. Maybe a lair lay out suggestion that would make a battle very interesting. Or if any one has a nasty trick opponent NPC elf up their sleeve that they wouldn't mind sharing... Help me please......

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  14:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing I like about the Eldreth Veluuthra is that they are extremely cell-oriented. Often there's just one of them in an area causing havoc.

A trick I used a number of times with the EV is having the agent hire band after band of human adventurers and either send them on suicide missions (saying here's the lair of an adult dragon when it's actually a great wyrm), or missions that help his cause. One agent in my campaign wiped out 20 groups of rather powerful adventurers in two months with that trick.

For your campaign, remember that this is an elf that is fanatical in his (or her) hatred, has centuries of experience, at the (at least) passive support of the surrounding elves. Also, play on the image of elves-as-good-guys. If the PC's start getting too close, have the agent come up to them as a "concerned investigator" and have him send them haring off in the wrong direction (and maybe into a really tough fight).

I don't know who your villian is, but it's entirely possible that he's living openly in the dale. If so, he'd definately have several hidden bases in the surrounding area, each one as well trapped and hidden as old elven magic can make it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000