Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 2nd Edition Special Materials in 3.5 Edition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  20:11:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering if anyone else has tried to use the old special materials chart from 2nd edition for items in third edition. Since a lot of the special materials didn't have much to do with rules, except for weight and cost, etc., I'm thinking it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

For example, the 2nd Edition DMG has adamantine, bronze, elven steel, fine steel, gold, iron, and silver.

So, does anyone use elven steel or fine steel yet in their games? I would count silver and iron as different than cold iron and alchemical silver, since those are both more able to do "special" things.

I used to use iron weapons and armor in areas that were more rural or isolated to show that trade was a bit more limited, so your equipment will be heavier (for those that didn't have the DMG 2nd edition, iron cost the same as steel, but it weighted 25% more than an item made out of steel). If you did use this system, would you allow masterwork iron items?

Oh, and one property that I noticed is that adamantine in 2nd edition weighted 25% less than standard material. I can't imagine this would cause problems, but I don't remember seeing this trait mentioned in 3.5 edition.

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  20:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally see a masterwork item reflecting the crafters special skill, rather than access to materials (so a masterwork iron long sword is a particularly well made brand of iron sword, but it's still an iron sword. Not to say it couldn't outperform a badly made steel sword or not).

There was a section on special materials for weapons somewhere (i.e. ones that did more damage but required an exotic weapon feat) including gold weapons and weapons filled with mercury.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  20:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might have been Sword and Fist but I can't say for sure, I can have a look later if you don't find out
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  21:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

I personally see a masterwork item reflecting the crafters special skill, rather than access to materials (so a masterwork iron long sword is a particularly well made brand of iron sword, but it's still an iron sword. Not to say it couldn't outperform a badly made steel sword or not).

There was a section on special materials for weapons somewhere (i.e. ones that did more damage but required an exotic weapon feat) including gold weapons and weapons filled with mercury.

Likely one of Sword and Fist, Complete Warrior, or Magic of Faerun. Special materials for weapons and armor appear in multitudinous sources; the best rules treatments on materials for other objects are in the Arms and Equipment Guide and the Draconomicon. Wall materials are in the environment series, Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, and the DMG 3.5.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  21:46:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I remember certain of the special materials having been reprinted in magic of faerun. But, it seemed to me that these abilities were changed (some vastly) For example, I believe it was hizagkuur that reflected all magic cast at it and did a large amount of electrical dmg in 2nd edition, but 3rd edition made it a metal that grants cold resist and does fire and electrical dmg. Arandur had an ability to absorb magic missile damage but it now provides sonic resistance. Little oddities.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  02:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic of Faerūn, pp. 174-180 is what you're after.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000