Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Anyone interested in 1372-1374 timeline of the FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im currently creating a timeline as a campaign aid for my next campaign and Im aiming to include all the recent major events in the novels between the year of Wild Magic and the Year of Lightning storms

Would any scribes be interested in seeing it when its finished?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:15:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you taking about part of a timeline similar in style to what Brian's done with his A Grand History of the Realms? Or something more?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Are you taking about part of a timeline similar in style to what Brian's done with his A Grand History of the Realms? Or something more?

More micro Im only doing a few years but it will give info on a day by day basis Im using the format that Wizards used for the Timeline on page 170 of PGTF

By the I think theres a problem with the realms date given for Eds Tears so white short story in Realms of Elves

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Ummm, hell yeah!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:

Ummm, hell yeah!

I tell you its quite interesting when you see whats going on in different places in the realms on or around the same day

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  05:49:38  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Yes, I would be interested in this - as it would be the time my campaign would be entering as I move forward. I went w/ the starting year in the FRCS, and used Midsummer/Shieldmeet as the starting dates.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  07:03:57  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd definitely be interested in this. I've read neary all the recent novels, but always get confused about when I can slip knowledge and news about these into my campaign. I mean, the novels really don't come out in chronological order, but tend to spring back and forth in the FR-timeline. Please tell us, what books in particular would you like to include? Possibly some of your compiled dates could be used by Brian in his Grand Historywhich doesn't incorporate all novels published so far?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  07:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far Ive compiled the following list of novels that are date stamped at the begining of the Chapters

Last Mythal Trilogy
Year of Rogue Dragon Trilogy
Blackstaff
Ghostwalker
The Crimson Gold
Venoms Taste (But not the other bokks in the trilogy)
Realms of Elves
Realms of Dragons

There are a number of important events that I need dates for

Warning spoilers below!!!

The date when Sojourner used the Weave Tap in Skullport (Paul Kemp)
The date when Lolth started granting spells again (WODQ authors)
The date when Llorkh was overun/destroyed (Murray Leeder)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  08:57:54  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The date when Llorkh was overun/destroyed (Murray Leeder)

So you are including the events from Son of Thunderas well. What about the other two books in the Fighters series, Bladesinger and Master of Chains

And if you are including The Crimson Gold, what about the rest of the rogues series, or Sembia series or even Priests series? I don't know which of them are date stamped at the beginning of a chapter, but some events might be worth being mentioned in the timeline.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  10:05:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes! Very much interested! Hang in there and keep up the work. I will dig through my books and find out what I can to help you.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  10:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

"Interested"?! Need ye ask, Dargoth?

::rubs hands in anticipation::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  10:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooh...I am interested! This would help me greatly in my campaign

Cheers

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  11:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am cetainly looking forward to it.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  12:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am interested as well. I tip my hat to Dargoth for his ceaseless working to better present scattered bits of FR Lore.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  13:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I´m interested too! My campaigns all revolve around this time! All hails to Dargoth, esteemed librarian!!!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  14:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Heppe

So you are including the events from Son of Thunderas well. What about the other two books in the Fighters series, Bladesinger and Master of Chains

And if you are including The Crimson Gold, what about the rest of the rogues series, or Sembia series or even Priests series? I don't know which of them are date stamped at the beginning of a chapter, but some events might be worth being mentioned in the timeline.

Unfortunatly only a minority of FR novels are Date stamped

Only the following

Last Mythal Trilogy
Year of Rogue Dragon Trilogy
Blackstaff
Ghostwalker
The Crimson Gold
Venoms Taste (But not the other bokks in the trilogy)
Realms of Elves
Realms of Dragons

For the others Im going to have to ask the various authors if they can provide event dates for their novels. Some authors like Voronica are no longer with us (by which I mean no longer posting at candlekeep) like Voronica so Crimison Gold will be a very difficult one to do as the novels arent dated and the authors not contactable

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  15:18:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Veronica frequents another forum I visit occasionally. I can swing by there and ask, if you like?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  15:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a very useful source, I look forward to seeing it.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  16:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very interested in such a timeline, as I try to integrate my game with the current events as much as possible.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  16:56:15  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would find this very useful!!! I am always ready to captilize on another's hard work...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  17:14:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Waterdeep sourcebook for 3.5e mentions the events from Paul's first or second novel in the Skullport section, so that should be able to answer the date for the Skullport events.

If you don't have that sourcebook, I'll look it up.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  18:21:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im currently creating a timeline as a campaign aid for my next campaign and Im aiming to include all the recent major events in the novels between the year of Wild Magic and the Year of Lightning storms

If you're going to do this, can you please include citations (e.g. Temptation of Elminster (hardcover), page 123).

Thanks,

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  18:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

If you're going to do this, can you please include citations (e.g. Temptation of Elminster (hardcover), page 123).

Thanks,

--Eric

That would be great...do the page numbers in paperback correspond with the hardcover versions?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  19:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I would love it. I am kinda doing that now with only a few books. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  19:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand
That would be great...do the page numbers in paperback correspond with the hardcover versions?

No, the mass-market paperbacks are re-set. I think the point is the timeline should ideally note which editions are being referred to.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  01:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The Waterdeep sourcebook for 3.5e mentions the events from Paul's first or second novel in the Skullport section, so that should be able to answer the date for the Skullport events.

If your refering to the Skullport section of City of Splendors unfortuntly it doesnt provide any dates

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  02:11:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If your refering to the Skullport section of City of Splendors unfortuntly it doesnt provide any dates

I assumed it was the same date as the dates in that sourcebook.... so around 1372 or 1373..... But Eric could answer that better then I can. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  14:12:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I assumed it was the same date as the dates in that sourcebook.... so around 1372 or 1373..... But Eric could answer that better then I can. :)

Please ask Paul Kemp directly for the exact dates on his books. He and I worked them out before I finished CoS:W, which is set in 1374 DR at Shieldmeet.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  02:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just finishing up PoF and Last Mythal

Spoilers ahead

Several scribes where wondering why the Lathanderites didnt help the crusade or at the very least help protect Lathanders temple in Myth Drannor. Well theres a reason, books 2 and 3 of Last Mythal occur splat bang in the middle of the Risen Sun Heresy campaign arc in PoF

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  03:51:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

just finishing up PoF and Last Mythal

Spoilers ahead

Several scribes where wondering why the Lathanderites didnt help the crusade or at the very least help protect Lathanders temple in Myth Drannor. Well theres a reason, books 2 and 3 of Last Mythal occur splat bang in the middle of the Risen Sun Heresy campaign arc in PoF

Given that I was just reading that section of Power of Faerun last night, I have to say, good eye Dargoth. I was reading it and thinking, "I wonder what else is going on right now" and it didn't even click until you said that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  04:07:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought it was simply because they were overwhelmed before support could arrive... They were facing a small army of fey'ri, after all...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000