Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Non FR Novels for Big FR Novel fans?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  16:29:40  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Kearney's The Monarchies of God series is incredible. One of the most underrated fantasy series' of all time. His prose is second to none.

Sean Russell's Swans War Trilogy is also very well written and quite an interesting tale.
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  01:43:05  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard,

I think I will check out a few of Perez-Reverte's books. Some of them sound very interesting.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  02:28:12  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Lee Byers, Steve Schend, and Erik Scott de Bie respond. I'm pretty proud of me thread.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  17:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone mentioned Dune so I have to refer anyone interested in a good sci-fi noven to read Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card and the following series if you like it.

Other than that. I really liked The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. Hilarious book, often spoken of as the worlds biggest joke. Then if you liked that, read The Schrodingers Cat trilogy. Then touching on that, I really found In Search of Schrodingers Cat; Quantum Physics and Reality very intersting. But that's getting off the topic of what FR readers might like.

I have to second whoever said His Dark Materials was a series. At first I didn't read it because it seemed too, I dunno, kidsy to me. But when I started reading the first book, I coudn't stop. And then had to go purchase the rest later that day.

Hmm, having hard time thinking of novels that haven't been mentioned yet. I really like the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever books.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  17:27:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, both Elaine and Ed recommended this novel: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. It's rather unlike any other book I've ever read, but it is also quite good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  17:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, also.
Up to now, I've mainly recommended sword-and-sorcery- style fantasy (figuring that if we're talking about fantasy for the Forgotten Realms fan, that was the safest bet.) But if we're going to talk about fantasy in general, you can't go wrong with Tim Powers and Peter S. Beagle (come to think of it, some of their stuff does verge on being s&s anyway.) I also recommend The Phoenix and the Mirror, by Avram Davidson, and the "Silver John" stories, by Manly Wade Wellman.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  18:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, also.

I haven't read that one yet, but it's on my list. I've heard good things.

quote:
Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Not about the book, per se, but the 1953 movie is hailed as one of the quintessential fencing films, with an excellent duel (though Nadi didn't think so, of course ).

Also, if you want to see a really good duel, check out Tyrone Powers and Basil Rathbone in the Mark of Zorro. (Heh -- we can see where my mind is this morning. )

quote:
Richard Lee Byers, Steve Schend, and Erik Scott de Bie respond. I'm pretty proud of me thread.

Cheers!

(Wow, that was such an irrelevant post. I should follow it up with a recommendation. . . .)

Dave Duncan's The Gilded Chain and it's accompanying series. Not your typical Realmsian style, but sword and sorcery of excellent craftsmanship. Plus, I love the fencing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  19:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Erik's right: For flashy, extravagant, non-realistic but highly cinematic fencing, the climax of Scaramouche is hard to beat.
If you want to go to the other extreme, The Duelists (one of my all-time favorite movies) is, in my opinion, quite realistic.
And if you're interested in the difference between fencing for points and fencing when you can really get stabbed (like in a duel), check out Aldo Nadi's autobiography The Liivng Sword. Nadi was probably the 20th century's greatest fencer, and he fought one actual duel. His reflections on the event are the most interesting part of the book (especially if you're a sword-and-sorcery fan.)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  19:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik's right: For flashy, extravagant, non-realistic but highly cinematic fencing, the climax of Scaramouche is hard to beat.

And that's exactly what I meant!

quote:
If you want to go to the other extreme, The Duelists (one of my all-time favorite movies) is, in my opinion, quite realistic.

Ridley Scott? Based on a Joseph Conrad story? I should check this one out.

quote:
And if you're interested in the difference between fencing for points and fencing when you can really get stabbed (like in a duel), check out Aldo Nadi's autobiography The Liivng Sword. Nadi was probably the 20th century's greatest fencer, and he fought one actual duel. His reflections on the event are the most interesting part of the book (especially if you're a sword-and-sorcery fan.)

In the vein of book recommendations, it's quite reasonable to recommend non-fiction/biography/autobiography, I think.

I'm also a fan of former Olympic fencer Richard Cohen's By the Sword, which is something of a history of the world, as seen through swordcraft and bladework. If you have any interest in fencing or sword fighting of any kind, it's one to pick up.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 26 Sep 2006 17:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  14:33:28  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I belive Sage has mentioned books by Terry Pratchett's on Diskworld, For light hearted relief or stuck on a train going to work these are great.
But! if you want something totally different I suggest moving genre altogether, try reading any book by Bill Bryson.
As a brit, I find his observational humour and sarcastic views some of the best written works around!
It makes a change if you want to laugh and giggle at the world rarther than be drawn into plots and intigue, I know these are not novels but it's always good to broaden your outlook.

I hope you get to check out Bill's work though I would suggest getting a copy from a library first rarther than buying one, Some people do not "get" the laughs.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  15:23:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone read the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud? Seen it the other day at my local bookstroe and was wondering how it might be - and since we are already discussing non-FR novels here I thought I m9ght as well ask you guys about it. No offence taken please - dear moderators!

Best regards, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  20:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A non-fiction novel (if I haven't mentioned it before) that I really love is

On Writing, by Stephen King... I can't really express why this book is so dear to me, but it is like a coach keeping your mind in shape... gotta read it again ... soon!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  00:35:16  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
who else love the Noble Dead books from the Hendees

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  02:23:07  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Well, let's try to remember that the original post was about non-FR novels for an FR-fan.

Specifically, Merrik, which FR novels do you like in particular? Knowing the sort of FR novels you like (and, even with a single genre, they run the gamut) will help us to specify which books to reccommend. :)

I particularly like RA Salvatore's books including his non-FR books. I do not enjoy Ed Greenwood's style. The recently completed Dragon Rage and Yuan Ti trilogies were great. I enjot Elaine Cunningham as well. To name a few.

Go to Top of Page

fmacdonald
Acolyte

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  08:22:18  Show Profile  Visit fmacdonald's Homepage Send fmacdonald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For swords-and-castles style fantasy, try any of the warhammer fantasy books published by black library. Try any of the warhammer 40,000 if you feel like stepping out of the stricly fantasy and more into sci-fi. I'd call it science fantasy... but thats kind of lame.

www.myspace.com/deathsheadmusic - If you have a myspace account and are into this "heavy metal" and "punk rock" thing the kids are listening to now, check out my band.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  14:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see the term science fantasy tossed around too much anymore, but at one time it was used quite a bit to describe a certain type of story, and I think it's still a useful categorization.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  16:31:34  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BONE by Jeff Smith is an excellent read. A graphic novel containing every issue of the comic has just been released. In my early teens (I'm 26 now) I began reading this wonderful black and white comic and became completely enthralled by the author's storytelling. I've been a fan of BONE since before I cracked the cover of my first fantasy novel and the story still holds up to even the highest fantasy standards.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  15:51:27  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ditto Erik Scott de Bie in suggesting American Gods by Neil Gaimon. I'm about halfway through it and can say that it is a treasure for any reader who would like to take a week or two off from sword and sorcery fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  00:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- Anything by David Gemmell
- Richard Lee Byers´ "Dead God" Trilogy
- Greg Keyes´ "Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone"
- Steven Erikson´s "Malazan Books of the Fallen" (if you´re into insanely woven, long-stretched, but brilliant sub-plots, that is)

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  18:56:37  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which non-FR book has an interesting party of adventurers?

Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  21:38:19  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Conclave of shadows series by Raymond E. Feist is good.(so good ap goverment teacher with degrees from standford and harvard recomended it)
The Temerarie series by Naomi Novik, it is a very very orginal story about historical fiction. (it has dragons in the Napolean times)

thoose are two of my recent fav. i do not have time to write all of them down by PM if you want more recomendations

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  03:50:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

The Conclave of shadows series by Raymond E. Feist is good.(so good ap goverment teacher with degrees from standford and harvard recomended it)

I'm a huge fan of all of Feist's books. He is one of the very few authors who can sell me a book by putting his name on the cover. But, if you're going to read those books, I'd recommend starting at the beginning, with the Riftwar Saga.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  06:35:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by MerrikCale
Which non-FR book has an interesting party of adventurers?

Well, most of the older (pre-80's)fantasy writers have a tendency to focus on one or two individuals. Those that have larger groups, such as Dickinsons The Dragon and the George and Moorcocks Runestaff series, are of a sort I would not compare to the idea of the adventuring party.

With the newer authors, like Feist, Eddison and Jordan you get more of the "group of adventurers" but my knowledge of these writers are somewhat limited. What I have read of Eddison I have liked, you might also like Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, but these are not to everyone's taste.
Go to Top of Page

Virendar
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  16:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Virendar's Homepage Send Virendar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragonlance Novels ALL THE WAY !

i wud recommend Dragon's of Autumn's twilight to get you going...then keep reading from there :)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  17:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been years since I read them, but I believe I dimly recall that Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy has a likable fellowship of adventurers. I definitely remember that I enjoyed the series a lot, so even if you read it and it doesn't really have the adventuring band that I think is in there, maybe you won't feel that I've led you too far astray.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  01:21:01  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's been years since I read them, but I believe I dimly recall that Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy has a likable fellowship of adventurers. I definitely remember that I enjoyed the series a lot, so even if you read it and it doesn't really have the adventuring band that I think is in there, maybe you won't feel that I've led you too far astray.

not to sound too fanboyish, Dorn and crew are exactly the kind of "party" I'm looking for. Fun to read and maybe spawn some campaign ideas

Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  17:08:37  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

If you are a big forgotten realms novel fan, what non-FR novels would you recommend and why?

George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series.

George R.R. Martin's Fevre Dream. One of the best vampire novels ever written.

David Gemmell's stuff is good "tough guy" fantasy.

I second Mr. Byers' recommendation of Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. Great Fantasy. Rightly called the War and Peace of Fantasy.

I pity the fool who hasn't read F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack books. Start with The Tomb and go from there.

Edited by - Mark S. on 23 Jan 2007 17:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  18:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's Ed Greenwood's answer to "Who are your favorite authors now?" in 2005:
quote:
Those still living (hoping I don’t jinx anyone, and just in the order they come to mind): Guy Gavriel Kay, Terry Pratchett, Spider Robinson, Patricia McKillip, Robin McKinley, Julian May, Dana Stabenow, Catherine Aird, Jack Vance, Katherine Kurtz, Ursula K. LeGuin, Caroline Stevermer, Steven Brust (the Khaavren romances), Alexei Panshin (the Anthony Villiers books), Julian May, Peter S. Beagle (The Folk of the Air), George R.R. Martin, Lynn Abbey, Elaine Cunningham—and yes, I could go on!

And the late greats: Roger Zelazny, Lord Dunsany, P. G. Wodehouse, J.R.R. Tolkien, Fritz Leiber, Leslie Charteris, Clark Ashton Smith, Randall Garrett (the Lord Darcy stories), Colin Watson (the Flaxborough novels), Edith Pargeter (“Ellis Peters”), John Bellairs (The Face In The Frost), Avram Davidson, Lin Carter (his never-completed Khymyrium fragments), James H. Schmitz, Kyril Bonfiglioli (the Charlie Mortdecai mystery novels)—and obviously, I could continue this list for dozens of names, too!
Go to Top of Page

camm91
Acolyte

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  13:36:46  Show Profile  Visit camm91's Homepage Send camm91 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, noone's mentioned Asimov's foundation series yet?! :0

I'd really love to recommend

Cecelia Dart Thornton - Bitterbynde Trilogy
Sara Douglass - Axis trilogy
Katherine Kerr - Deverry trilogy (freaking awesome!)
Ian Irvine (Lengthy but well worth it)

Jean M Auel - Clan of the cave bears children of the earth series!

Any of these wont dissapoint :) give em a burl!
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  04:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shannara Trilogy - Terry Brooks

VERY long and in-depth but very good nonetheless.

I'm really torn by Dragonlance...I've never even tried to get into them but it does interest me some, but I don't want it to pull me away from FR. haha

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000