Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 [humor] A moonblade conversation....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  05:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sadly very true.

IC:

Akkanas Lighthope: AT LAST! MY FAMILY'S MOONBLADE!

*An avatar of Corellon Larethian appears*

Corellon: Noble Paladin and Ranger of the Seldarine! I beseech you! Do not pick up the Sword of the Lighthopes!

Akkanas: But why Lord Divinity? *kneels*

Corellon: Such a blade is not made for you. It would strike dead a most worthy and noble champion whose self sacrifice and deeds are enough to resound through the ages.

Akkanas: But why Lord?

Corellon: Because it is a Moonblade.

Akkanas: And?

Corellon: What do you mean AND? It's made for Moon Elves!

Akkanas: Well I understand that but...

Corellon: You're a Gold Elf.

Akkanas: That's true but...

Corellon: A HALF-Gold elf.

Akkanas: With all due respect Lord of Elves, that's terribly racist of you.

Corellon: I *MADE* the subraces. I think I know what's racist and not.

Akkanas: Sorry, sorry. It's just I've rather travelled a long way here and it seems a bit unsporting that after this epic quest that I'm not going to get a moonblade.

Corellon: Well should you marry a Moon Elf then certainly your descendents should potentially be able to wield it.

Akkanas: Uh....huh. Sir, out of respect, what have I done to transgress against you?

Corellon: Nothing Ak, you've been a constant supporter and champion of the elves despite their treatment of you from day one. I count thee both a worthy ally and friend.

Akkanas: So can't we make a teensy weensy exception here?

Corellon: NO! Do you know what being Lord of the Elves means?

Akkanas: No milord.

Corellon: It means not having to bend your rules that clearly state that Moonblades are for moon elves!

Akkanas: Do I need to slay Lolth? Cause if this is a question of not being legendary enough then I can head up to the Demonweb Pits. It may take a while to get strong enough but her or the Elf Eater...

Corellon: It's the Sword of KINGS. The blade used to pick a ruler for the city-states of the Elves, Evermeet, Cormanthor, Everveska, and so on. Just because you're unable to wield it doesn't mean you're not every bit my Champion.

Akkanas: So I have to be more Kingly?

Corellon: No.

Akkanas: If this is a magical thing. I can get a wizard to turn me into a Moon Elf. Ten minutes. He's right through the bushes...

Corellon: NO!

Akkanas: I'm trying to be flexible here Sir.

Corellon: Ak, I'm a very busy god. The fact you helped slay the Dark Triad and save the entire world from Ao's wrath is buying you more than my normal few seconds that most priests would tear their own elvish eyeballs out for. You want to be my Chosen? Do you want MY sword? Cause I'm willing to grant you either.

Akanas: I certainly wouldn't turn down either it's just that I really want to impress Amlaruil's eldest daughter so that she can look beyond my half-elvishness and a Moonblade really is rather a spiffy thing...

Corellon: Look how they treat Arilyn Moonflower. Do you think a Moonblade helped her?

Akkanas: Well Arilyn the Half-Elf....

Corellon: Ak, are you starting?

Akkanas: No sir.

Corellon: Cause you sound like you're starting.

Akkanas: NO SIR!

Corellon: Take the damn sword! *hands over his blade*

Akkanas: I am in your eternal debt!

Corellon: You'd be dead from a divine blast right now if not for the fact that this isn't the FIRST time I've had this conversation! I swear, I think I'm going to have to make a fricking set of Sun Bows just to distract people from it.

Akkanas: Could I wield one of those?

Narrator: You awaken in a crater where you feel tremendous agony.....it's twenty four hours later and the crater is ten feet deep....

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 14 Jan 2007 18:56:38

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this really happened you should have let the stoopid elf die, sorry, it is a law made by all the gods of the Seldarine, it is funny, but it should've ended with Corellon standing over the smoking remains of the paladin saying "Told you so."

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Corellon is...EVIL now?

And I think both the player and I recognized the conversation didn't reflect how an actual discussion between a paladin and his god would go. For one I think the warning would have probably been less of a conversation and more "you see warnings of dire and grave peril" or a oracle informs him of such.

However, I did think that we needed to clear something. At heart, I don't take my realms entirely seriously. However, I do think that a deity like Corellon is unlike most in that he'd probably make it clear his reasons for something as opposed to just expecting blind obedience. He's a laid back god.

That's making the conversation more serious than it should be though. Which is an analysis of how seriously some players take moonblades.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 13 Jan 2007 23:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:45:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea... most absurd, but fun

And I would have let him die and then maybe (and that's a BIG maybe!!!) resurrected him, remember DOZENS of gold elves of higher standing died when they tried to claim the moonblades.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And no, Corellon isn't evil, but if I told you "Do not touch the hot cooking plate, it will burn you!" and you still do it...would that make me evil?

No, just honest...and you since you did not heed my warning ...well, stupid

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand. Believe me I'm harsh on my players usually, except when being funny. Our current party has had 6 fatalities.

And the fellow wasn't dumb enough to pick up the moonblade. He was just trying to haggle with his god. It was a deeply out of character moment anyway and were he less blatantly obviously being funny then I would have definitely done a saving throw vs. death.

Basically, if you pass it you get "You feel the blade getting hot and can choose to drop it if you want."

Take note I've seen DMs let it pass because they think the Blades only kill those of non-good alignment. Those of particular nobility to the elves can survive and wield them just isn't right.

Akkanas is pretty much the Hero of Corellon right now in our games but the conversation was pretty much "It doesn't matter because the Blades have a purpose that will never be crossed."

Our 'official' ending was that Ak was warned from taking the blade by some omen of some kind and used tongs to take it back to his family home in Cormanthor where it awaits future generations. Humor can take away from the drama if left in.

But yes, good comments mace.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 14 Jan 2007 00:04:06
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  14:59:25  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Our 'official' ending was that Ak was warned from taking the blade by some omen of some kind and used tongs to take it back to his family home in Cormanthor where it awaits future generations. Humor can take away from the drama if left in.

Y'know, I find the image of carrying a moonblade around with tongs a bit funny in itself... possibly because I'm imagining a biohazard suit, etc. to go with it.
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  22:24:45  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and to add my two cents here,

Yes that humor is definitely needed in a party that had had six deaths already?!?! wow, that is the kind of humor that lightens moods around the table. but when posting this he did put [ humor ] in the title of the post, so I HOPE no one will come in to your thread and spank your group with rules on how to make a god act.

I thought it humorous. and I have to agree with you, Corellon is laid back, he'd have to be to mate with a giant spider woman. >wink<
if he was the champion, I woulda made Corellon create him his own magical sword, with the looks of a moonblade. but that is just me (I could see him now "yeah, sure...this is a moonblade, better than that one..i know i coulda gave it to you without going through this quest, but i had to test you. you rock..nono, don't touch that moonblade, it's...uh...reserved..here this one is yours" )

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."

Edited by - LucianBarasu on 15 Jan 2007 22:28:16
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  22:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the serious part he probably would have been able to use it as if he was half moon elf, he would have been able to due to moon elf blood.

Less serious, maybe the real reason that Corellon slept with Loth is cos he likes big butts and he cannot lie.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  00:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was pretty funny although I should point out that theres no rule that states a gold elf cant successfully claim a Moonblade there just unlikely to suceed. This is actually specficly stated in Evermeet when one of the gold elves takes it up with the the Coronel after the claiming ceromonys

Ive actually included a Gold elf whose claimed a Moonblade in my current campaign (hes dead but he did manage to claim it)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  00:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Elaine Cunningham indicated that no gold elf was supposed to have claimed a Moonblade and I tend to go with that interpretation. The ones detailed in the books don't actually even seem to be that lethal. Which by all means should be extremely lethal.

It's "Cunningham canon" versus "FR Canon."

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  01:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well Elaine Cunningham indicated that no gold elf was supposed to have claimed a Moonblade and I tend to go with that interpretation. The ones detailed in the books don't actually even seem to be that lethal. Which by all means should be extremely lethal.

It's "Cunningham canon" versus "FR Canon."

The way Ive always interupted it is that the blades are looking for wielders with certain PERSONALITY traits that the Seldarine believe will be needed for an Elven Monarch. It just so happans that the traits their looking for are more prevelant in Moon elves than other elven races (hence most of the successful claiments have been Moon elves who have in turned passed them down to their family members who have typically been Moon elves)however it would be possible for a Gold elf to successfully claim a blade if he had the required traits (however most gold elves dont have them)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  01:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I used to believe that to be the case but that's apparently not the case. Frankly, I prefer the idea they were. However, I decided to go with what the author said on that respect.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  01:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I used to believe that to be the case but that's apparently not the case. Frankly, I prefer the idea they were. However, I decided to go with what the author said on that respect.

First thing that should be drumed into every DM who thinks about running an FR/Eberron or any published campaign setting

"The moment your players make their first decision your campaign ceases to be canon"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  11:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well spoken.

Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  11:07:57  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL i see now another reason why Sun Elves should NOT carry Moonblades!

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 01 Feb 2007 11:08:36
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  11:38:13  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like it when players have casual conversations with deities. My take on the conversation would've gone like this:

Akkanas Lighthope: At last, my family's Moonblade.

Corellon: I command thee not to take up the Sword of the Lighthopes!

Corellon: Because I am thy God and thou must obey my command!

If the player's character then picks up the sword, he's not only dead but forbidden entry to Arvandor.

Only my opinion though.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Wizbane
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  12:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Wizbane's Homepage Send Wizbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the DM intention was to give the prized moonblade to the character, I'd have played it like this:

Corellon: Do not take up the Sword of the Lighthopes, or you will die, since it was intended for moon elves only and you're not. You're an half-elf.

Corellon: I am thy God and thou must obey the rules I imposed!

Akkanas: Uh....huh. Sir, out of respect, what have I done to transgress against you?

Corellon: Nothing Ak, you've been a constant supporter and champion of the elves despite their treatment of you from day one. I count thee both a worthy ally and friend...

Akkanas: That's true but...

Corellon: ...and that's why I grant you the choice. Should you take the sword, you will embrace the moon elven race from now on. The Ritual of Transformation I will perform on you. Should you not take it, you'll still be a champion of the elves, while still being the one who was able to come here and wrestle the sword from the Dark Triad. Choose wisely, worthy one....*disappears in a puff of smoke*

Akkanas: Damn! *mumble*

Wizbane

Edited by - Wizbane on 01 Feb 2007 12:50:14
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  22:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I can kind of see both sides of this. On one hand I believe in respecting original canon and the intent of the author who created it.

But on the other hand, after learning about the true purpose and lore of moonblades by reading the Evermeet novel, I decided I didn't like the whole moonblade concept very much, for more than just one reason.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Feb 2007 22:29:49
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  00:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Im assuming the "No gold elf wielders" idea is coming from Elaines short story about Elaith in Dragon 336?

If so Elaine doesnt say there has never been a gold wielder Elaith does and Elaith being a character doesnt know everything

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  12:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

I don't like it when players have casual conversations with deities. My take on the conversation would've gone like this:

Corellon: I command thee not to take up the Sword of the Lighthopes!

Corellon: Because I am thy God and thou must obey my command!

If the player's character then picks up the sword, he's not only dead but forbidden entry to Arvandor.

Only my opinion though.

Normally that would be the case, but my conception of Corellon has been that he's not entirely aware he's a god. I sort of run him as Tom Bombadil laid back. The guy whom causally walks amongst the elves and often no one ever realizes it because he's just enjoying being their King.

This, obviously, is in contrast to other deities.

Plus, again, adventurers are special that way

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  13:11:02  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Normally that would be the case, but my conception of Corellon has been that he's not entirely aware he's a god. I sort of run him as Tom Bombadil laid back. The guy whom causally walks amongst the elves and often no one ever realizes it because he's just enjoying being their King.

This, obviously, is in contrast to other deities.

Plus, again, adventurers are special that way

All very valid reasons. Some deities may enjoy having such personas so that they can understand their worshippers. (Hence their ability to surppress their aura's I suppose.)

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000