Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2012 :  15:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Mike's maps are fantastic and i always request him by name in my art orders. I love the maps so much that I had Sarifal and Vaasa printed on canvas at pictureitoncanvas.com. Both are now hanging on the wall in my rec room.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  00:46:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for everything concerning the Candlekeep seminar. The next best thing in the realms to witnessing Ed is probably watching the interaction with you and Matt. Otis clear your passion is second to none.

Just know it is appreciated by so many.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  01:45:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Remember though that only the 'incarnations' of those pantheons were slain in the Orcgate Wars.
They would only have come back if they had significant number of worshippers left on in Realmspace.

Which most of them probably did not. After all, the temporal gap between the death of most of the Untheric pantheon and the Time of Troubles is equal to the temporal gap between a modern inhabitant of LA and the Olmec gods. Turns out that not many people in the world worship the Olmec gods any more.
The difference is that these are priests of some gods from the pantheon. And after ToT for remaining gods it makes sense to invite in not only allies, but any other gods of their pantheon who aren't their enemies or rivals - simply to prevent interlopers from filling the empty portfolio niches, which may weaken positions of the pantheon as a whole.

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Toril may be richer than Earth during the medieval period**, but that doesn't make it equal to Earth over the last century. The records of things that happened a hundred generations ago will overwhelmingly be written by scribes working for someone with a political agenda, i.e. Gilgeam.
Wait, I thought you'll point out a difference?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  17:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was great to meet so many of you at the Candlekeep seminar and elsewhere at GenCon this year. My only regret was having to leave the Candlkeep seminar earlier as I was feeling nauseous. Nothing a power nap couldn’t solve, thankfully.

Also, if you haven’t heard, the sourcebook Matt and I worked on last year “Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale” won a silver ENnie award. Though the entries are ostensibly set in the 4E implied world, most of you know by now that everything I write is inspired by or has nods to the Forgotten Realms.

As for the gods...they're ALL coming back so it's a moot point now anyway :)

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  17:52:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

As for the gods...they're ALL coming back so it's a moot point now anyway :)

ALL? Well, that's awesome news!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 20 Aug 2012 17:52:25
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  18:28:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ALL is an awfully big word......so I am looking forward to seeing what Mystral has been up to. She cant be happy with that last two goddesses of Magic....

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  18:32:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to see Bhaal tearing Cyric apart, while Leira has fun screwing his mind... and three Mystras could scare the crap out of Shar (and now Lolth too)

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 20 Aug 2012 18:36:06
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  18:43:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, have you - along with your brother, BC, Erik, etc - ever considered creating your own forum?

I've been giving the CKC a lot of thought lately, and I really don't see Candlekeep ever moving forward at all (in all senses of the word).

I'm just wondering if you guys ever thought about that. Maybe Candlekeep II should be something else entirely.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  16:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My formost desire would be to nudge the powers-that-be to get a new Candlekeep Compendium going again. But if that is just not possible, then I am very much in favor of seeing a new Realms fanzine arise. My brother does have RPG forums at loremaster.org. Perhaps we might initiate something there.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  00:29:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan.

I can scrap my idea for a 'Library of Perpustakaan' now.

(thats the Candelkeep-like place in the southern part of K-T, which I have always imagined to be 'Candlekeep East', not just in theme, but an actual connection between the two).

EDIT: The 'Perpustakaan Compendium' just didn't have the right ring to it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Sep 2012 00:30:36
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  18:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be cool if WotC would support something like pathfinderchronicler.net where while none of the writing is considered canon, the writers are encouraged by Paizo to write their fan fiction and become better writers. I got the first volume of their works at PaizoCon.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  20:55:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my thinking as well.

Create a separate site that would have both official approval (and final say) that is just dedicated to creating realmslore. Nothing would be canon unless the material was reproduced - in whole or in part - on the WotC site, or in book.

In other words, breaking the CKC off from Candlekeep proper. It would work pretty much the way it always has, but give WotC ownership of the material to avoid any legal hassles. It would be a buffer between CK and them. That way, anyone who is unhappy about WotC gaining control of their creations can just continue to wait around for WotC to give some sort of permission to the CKC to continue (which, I fear, will be never).

Of course, as part of that agreement, some sort of compensation should be in order for material that gets used elsewhere. That should be incentive for WotC to back such a project - they can pick and choose from already written articles as to whether they want to make that lore official or not. Its almost like having a 'fluff buffet'. The articles can also be tweaked before they become official (which provides yet another layer of continuity).

Its almost like combining the 4e LFR with the CKC (and even the 'CORE' concept).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  02:15:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Create a separate site that would have both official approval (and final say) that is just dedicated to creating realmslore.
I don't really see how this differs from the position Candlekeep currently finds itself in. We're essentially a separate site, and we're awaiting official approval.

How does your proposal suggest anything different when you'd still have to be granted that approval by Wizards... just as this Candlekeep is waiting for?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  00:49:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I am suggesting that WotC be given final say, and ownership.

I proposed just such a paradigm a long time ago, when we first ran into this problem, and several people here (including wooly, IIRC) were vehemently against it. Of course, this was at the height of the anti-WotC backlash.

So what I am suggesting is continue with the CKC, but detach it from Candlekeep proper (for legal reasons), and give them the sort of 'creative control' they had over the LFR in 4e.

Or it could just continue as-is, here, which I'd prefer, but then I think some sort of accord with WotC needs to be reached. Personally, I just don't see the need for it, but obviously others here do. We either need to move forward, or find some other way. The clock is ticking, and if we don't make the first move, someone will beat us to it.

Or worse, no-one will... and FR won't get the love it deserves when 5e is released.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  03:43:51  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be happy to head it up, Markustay.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  03:58:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Brian, I've a query about shardsouls, as referenced in your 'Realmslore: Vaasa' article from DUNGEON #177, pg. 5. Specifically, this portion of text:-
quote:
Luminaries are also responsible for the crafting of shardsouls, monstrous automatons formed from Telos’s body and set to serve in Vaasa’s armies.
What more can you share about these shardsouls? Particularly, the methods/techniques the Luminaries utilise in their creation of these automatons?

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Sep 2012 04:00:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  04:03:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

I would be happy to head it up, Markustay.

Just following this up, and directing interested folk to the new scroll I've crafted for discussing the future of the Compendium here at Candlekeep:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16924

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  03:03:32  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, it looks like there is difference in opinion by CK. If you guys don't want to do it, I understand. I'll head it up on my own.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  03:12:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sage, it looks like there is difference in opinion by CK. If you guys don't want to do it, I understand. I'll head it up on my own.

Well, we haven't made a final decision yet, so I don't want you to assume that we're against it. That's certainly not the case. And, to be honest, I would love Candlekeep to continue it's tradition of providing fine fan-based Realmslore via the Compendium.

I've nothing against you or loremaster.org heading up your own initiative, but for the time being, I would prefer that the Compendium format remain our baby... at least until we have Alaundo's final word on the matter. [Which I'm presently asking for now.]

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Sep 2012 03:13:27
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  03:43:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well, we haven't made a final decision yet, so I don't want you to assume that we're against it. That's certainly not the case. And, to be honest, I would love Candlekeep to continue it's tradition of providing fine fan-based Realmslore via the Compendium.

I've nothing against you or loremaster.org heading up your own initiative, but for the time being, I would prefer that the Compendium format remain our baby... at least until we have Alaundo's final word on the matter. [Which I'm presently asking for now.]

If the compendium were moved to another site, howerver worthy(I can think of no better place than with a James brother).....this place would loose a huge piece of its identity.....I' m sure Alaundo realizes,this, but hope he tells you full speed ahead. sooner rather than later.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  11:47:23  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. The Compendium is very much a big piece of Candlekeep. I don't want to see it elsewhere, but CK hasn't been willing to do one for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  15:14:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree. The Compendium is very much a big piece of Candlekeep. I don't want to see it elsewhere, but CK hasn't been willing to do one for awhile.

Incorrect. We've been quite willing to do one. We've been unwilling to risk getting shut down by WotC for it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  15:20:38  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. That's been the excuse, but WotC could have shut you down at any point leading up to this. If CK doesn't want to take that risk, I fully understand.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  18:21:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right. That's been the excuse, but WotC could have shut you down at any point leading up to this. If CK doesn't want to take that risk, I fully understand.

They could have, yes. But it's theoretically possible that they were just waiting for that final offense -- the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm getting rather offended at your insinuations that this has had anything to do with anything other wanting to make sure this site remained online.

In an era where sites have been shut down (admittedly, for different circumstances, but still shut down) and where WotC has gone out of its way to say "Here's the rules you're going to play by, if you want to avoid our lawyers," why is it so bad to want them to okay this?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  21:44:01  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry you're getting offended. I never meant to insult you, especially not personally. CK has been more resistant to the idea of a Compendium than it ever has in the past. The sites that received CnD letters were violating WotC's IP in ways that were inappropriate. If it were a matter of a fanfic/non-profit site getting hammered, I might be more willing to accept CKs response.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  12:58:19  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well met, two questions about the recent Dungeon articles. In Ecology of the Modron it says that Mechanus is just one realm in the Accordant Expanse, what other realms could exist there? Is the Accordant Expanse a part of the new 5e cosmology?

Also the Shemeshka article mentions the Arcane Brotherhood among other old organizations from Sigil, are they from Luskan?
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  18:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Greetings Brian, I've a query about shardsouls, as referenced in your 'Realmslore: Vaasa' article from DUNGEON #177, pg. 5. Specifically, this portion of text:-
quote:
Luminaries are also responsible for the crafting of shardsouls, monstrous automatons formed from Telos’s body and set to serve in Vaasa’s armies.
What more can you share about these shardsouls? Particularly, the methods/techniques the Luminaries utilise in their creation of these automatons?

Greetings Sage. I believe soulshards are Rich Baker's original creation, but I've included some of my notes below from when I was working on the Vaasa article:

Shardsouls are living constructs, forged by the Warlock Knights of Vaasa from the iron like flesh of the slumbering primordial Telos. The body of the Master of the Iron Sky is ever-regenerating, resulting in a nigh-inexhaustible supply of ironfell for the Warlock Knights. Durable as steel and imbued with exotic extraplanar properties, ironfell is used predominantly in the crafting of arms and armor, as well as the Knight’s signature “iron rings”.

Only the enigmatic order of Luminaries—an elite sect of the Telosian Templars within the knighthood—are permitted to craft shardsouls. Unlike common ironfell, which is simply mined by conventional means, Luminaries employ complex rituals to ensure Telos’ potent lifeforce is preserved during the extraction. The exact process for forging a shardsoul is known only to the Luminaries, but the result is a living, self-aware automaton far superior to the simple-minded constructs crafted by wizards of other lands.

Shardsouls are fearless, perhaps overly so. Though they will not sacrifice their lives arbitrarily, shardsouls are often reckless in combat. From the day they are forged, each shardsoul endeavors to be reunited with Telos. Each knows instinctively that its animating spirit will join with the Master of the Iron Sky upon death, a fate that is looked upon with anticipation not apprehension.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  14:02:16  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure who is the best person to be asking this question to, if you aren't the best person to ask, or if you feel you can direct me to another source, I would be most appreciative. I am attempting to deal with Lady Hope’s sons, birthdays, who is alive, and what positions they might have as of 1479. From what I can get of the source material I have, and what Dragon-magazines I can listen to, has lead to the following: Tarthilmor Aerasume (CG hem F11/W12) is set as one of the two Captains of
the Spellguard under Jorus Azuremantle. DRAGON ANNUAL #1, p60

Methrammar Aerasume, the Shining Guard (LG hem F14/W12) and commander of
Luruar's armies. THE NORTH, Cities p55

Dalbrant Tanagathor (1240 - 1313?) Disappeared while on quest given him by
Taerntym

Hardorbryn Tanagathor (1242 - 1343) Twin of Alondel; died in battle with
the Moonlight Men

Alondel Tanagathor (1242 - 1343) Twin of Hardorbryn; died in battle with
the Moonlight Men

Boesild Aerasume (1244 - ?) Oldest known/acknowledged surviving son of
Alustriel; former apprentice of Khelben the Elder just after he left
Waterdeep in 1256; now part of the Teukiira/Moonstars.

Elnriyr Moonweather (1250 - 1347) Priest of Sehanine; died in the fire that destroys Everdusk Hall

Baerndar Tanagathor (1266 - ?)

Uoundeld of Silverymoon (1269 - ?) Teacher at the Lady's College (Tactical
&
Strategic Spellcasting)

Dolthauvin Aerasume (1295 - ?) Wanderer in the Moonwood & Coldwood

Elinthalar Tanagathor (1299 - ?) Twin of Andelver; wanderer of Lurkwood

Andelver Tressymfriend (1299 - ?) Twin of Elinthalar; wanderer of Lurkwood

Methrammar Aerasume (1304 - ?) The Shining Guard & most recognized son of
Alustriel

Inthylyn of Silverymoon (1314 - ?) ?????????????????

Lilinthar Moonweather (1337 - ?) Triplet brother of Naerond & Tarthilmor;
huntmaster of Moonweather clan in Moonwood?

Naerond Aerasume (1337 - ?) Triplet brother of Lilinthar & Tarthilmor;
crusader/mage for Mystra?

Tarthilmor Aerasume (1337 - ?) Triplet brother of Naerond & Lilinthar;
Spell
Captain of the Spellguard in Silverymoon

Raerilarr Aerasume (1340 - ?) Smallest of Tall Ones at 6'7" and nicknamed
"Tiny" by brothers; most hot-tempered of brothers, rabid drow hunter.
Ghaelryss the Bold (1345 - ?) Uses no surname, raised in Silverymoon,
living in Everlund?

I am assuming that Methrammar is king with his mother’s passing, as he is the most recognized, if not necessarily the oldest. As I have said I shall be grateful for any help on the matter.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  11:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Also the Shemeshka article mentions the Arcane Brotherhood among other old organizations from Sigil, are they from Luskan?

I hate to intrude into Brian's thread here, but I think I can field an answer here since I'm pretty sure I wrote the relevant section.

Same name, different organization. It's plucked from previous material on Sigil (Society of the Luminiferous Aether could fit on the list there as well as a mage's collective, but it's more obscure), however there's nothing preventing there being members of the Luskan organization having made their way to Sigil and joining it.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  08:57:52  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, I've found out later that they're from 4e DMG 2. It would be great to have more such connections between two settings. I asked because I remember reading somewhere that the Hosttower had branches to other planes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000