Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Muskets in Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2024 :  09:32:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was evidence of early research on using steam as propellant:
quote:
Once when I was in the area, I heard shouts and calls coming from near the geyser, a commotion more in keeping with masons building a temple wall. Keeping hidden, I crept over the ridge to find a circle of men - mages, surely - standing around the vent. A large flat rock floated near the hole. They magically maneuvered the rock, which was just about the length of two men, directly over the hole. Then it was dropped into place. I found this behavior more than unusual, and wondered what their intentions were in conducting this experiment.
I made myself comfortable by taking the shape of a toad. I squeezed into a rocky crack and waited for the spectacle. The men, all dressed in similar blue-green robes, conferred for a time, and then they too sat back to wait.
I assume the geyser went off at its appointed time, although nothing happened to the rock. It didn't move an iota.
The men looked pleased with themselves and I was even more perplexed than I had been earlier. The men showed no signs of departing; if anything, they watched the stone even more intently. I decided to stay put for as long as the blue-robed mages did.
Although I was prepared for a week-long wait, we didn't wait nearly that long. Only an hour passed before a high-pitched hissing gradually became noticeable, then increasingly louder. All of the men glued their eyes to the rock. It started to move upward, riding a column of hissing steam. One of the men clapped ecstatically before the leader shushed him with a swift motion. When the rock reached a certain height, the head mage pointed at one of the men, who had been silently preparing a spell.
When he waved his hands, the rock shot off the geyser with the speed of an eagle.
Jubilation reigned. They jumped in the air and even the leader was clapping his hands. I returned to my own form, and walked across the rocks toward the joyous group.
"I couldn't help but hear all the commotion. Is there anything I can help you with? I saw a huge rock go flying overhead, and wondered whether I had a mage fight on my hands."
"No fighting going on here - just a successful experiment," replied the leader, smiling.
"My name is Tharnn Greenwinter," I said, introducing myself to the entire group. "I happened to be passing by. I don't mean to be nosy but I'm curious... What did you accomplish here today?"
The leader's smile widened. "I've always thought there must be a way to devise a catapult without using pulleys, levers, and all those other cumbersome, mundane things. I got the idea to somehow use steam and a feather fall spell together, but I never could find a sufficiently strong, concentrated eruption of steam to suit my purpose. At least, not until today. All those hours, days of research have paid off: I've shown it can be done! Wait until they hear about this back in Shadowdale!
"Now, we just have to find a way to create steam of such intensity as this geyser and make it portable," said the leader.
- Elminster's Ecologies Appendix One: The Hill of Lost Souls

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2024 :  04:07:08  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as cannon sources go, there are mentions of very steam-punk or magi-tech machines operating in Mulhorand that have been in operation for nearly a millennia. These were built at a time when Mulhorand was on the rise and before the Orcgate Wars and the revolt of Thayd which caused the Mulhorandi to stop expanding their technological and magical powers.

Given all this information we have about the level of technology that the Old Empires once wielded and now have mostly abandoned, we can even start to look at them as something akin to the great houses in the Dune universe where in many ways they are backwards compared to the rest of Faerun yet in other ways they are actually far, far more advanced.

It would make sense for the Old Empires to have had "early access" to smokepowder arriving from Kara-Tur via various end points of the Golden Way into the eastern reaches of the Sea of Fallen Stars. We know that they at least knew (or at the minimum the deific manifestations knew) of spelljamming techniques as that was the method used to arrive to Toril. Likewise, the Thayans are Mulan and they have their own indigenous firearms that function completely differently from standard ones as well as building the extraplanar powered ironclad sidewheeler described in the 2E Spellbound boxed set.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000