Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Supernatural Weather in Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2023 :  14:03:26  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a list of known "supernatural" type weather in Faerun such as black ice, blood snow, devil dunes, blackwater, you know, the really strange, sometimes deadly, kinds of weather for Forgotten Realms?

I'm surprised at not finding much of any considering how magical the world is and all its legacies that can easily alter the weather patterns in unique ways in certain parts (other than leaving behind wasteland deserts in the aftermath, which is a boring trope, honestly)

I've got a group traveling through the Lizard Marsh and I want there to be something unique to the weather there besides "It's raining hard...again."

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2023 :  16:00:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are few things for sure.

What I have used off the top of my head:

Wizard Fog (can't see more than 5 feet and can't light non-magical flames in it).

Acid Rain (1 point of damage per turn, gives people time to get into shelter)

Night Clouds (essentially allows undead to range free even in daylight because the sun is totally blotted out and it is like a moonless night)

Can't recall what others I've used...but all three of those I used in the same area. The Acid Rain was usually at night and only lasted a few turns.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  00:07:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not see any summary so far, but... Depends on the place, obviously. What we know of the related weird phenomena:
- Persistent curses can alter common natural substances in a large area (drow curses at Elven Court),
- Large spell-fields designed to alter weather permanently exist (mythals, Mavin's Worldweave). Also, permanent spell-fields usually degrade through time and incidents. Decaying mythals may exhibit odd interactions not only with spells, but with anything, if only via distortion of their original functions. They also can shed drifting unstable spell-fields with more aggressive and obvious effects in addition to magic interference (the Edgelands which alter the local wildlife around Myth Drannor, q.v. Elminster's Ecologies).
- High Moor is somewhat messed up even millennia after being hit with Killing Storm: in Undermoor there are odd places where water flows upward, etc. (q.v. Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 2). And after more recent spells ran into the local magical weirdness, the Fire Swamp.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  14:41:58  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay's climate at least until the 14th century DR was much milder than it should have been. The Red Wizards used control weather to lengthen the growing season. Thay evidently was quite the agricultural powerhouse and exported produce.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000