Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Race is best
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  04:46:29  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a sun elf with Int20, it's cool when u start a mage...
and u don't loose any level for that.
with the feat mind over body, u know what i mean...
Go to Top of Page

Jeffrey Williams
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  09:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrey Williams's Homepage Send Jeffrey Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrzeran

EEK! Yuan-ti are abomonations of nature... Well just about every monster in the D&D is, what in the nine hells am i... Ok gettin of subject. Basically from the waist down they're snake with a somewhat human torso and sometimes a human head (If memory serves) but most occasions with the head of a snake. And they have a penchent for forming cults, and using poison, and stuff like that there...

Make it two for the Yaun-ti, Merrzaran. I don't know what it is, but I like playing human/animal mixed races. Yet, I place Yaun-ti third in races. I like Dwarves because of the urban culture, their ability to drink long into the night and the songs of war they protray. However, my favorite race are lycanthropes. I just love were-creatures be it werebears, weredragons, or the every recognized werewolves. Something abou them, Malar and Selune males the Forgotten Realms setting so much more fun.

Geoffrey Mordraith, Sage, Cleric of Helm, Bearer of the Morning Star
devilboy@anv.net
www.bigbluepigeon.blogspot.com
www.thefourthportal.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  16:11:14  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy465

Ahhhh.....thanks, Merzerran I think I remember them now. If memory serves me, they were those weird snake people in the Icewind Dale game.

Yuan-ti in Icewind Dale? Did this part of the game take place in Calimshan?
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  16:44:40  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Icewind Dale game did take the players all the way to Calimshan... I've never played it, so I could be wrong...

Calimshan is not the only area where Yuan-ti can be found. Most Yuan-ti live in the jungles of Talashar (sp?) down on the same peninsula where Chult is located. There is also a sizeable community living in the Serpent Hills not far from the High Moor in the central Sword Coast/Western Heartlands area.

In the web articles on the WotC site (under the Portals section) there is a nice thread on linked portals involving Yuan-ti
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  01:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy465

Ahhhh.....thanks, Merzerran I think I remember them now. If memory serves me, they were those weird snake people in the Icewind Dale game.

Yuan-ti in Icewind Dale? Did this part of the game take place in Calimshan?

I don't think this part of the game took place in Calimshan. Its been a long time since I played the game, but if I remember correctly, there was this cave that was supposedly the only place in Icewind Dale where it was warm enough for the Yuan-ti to survive. Then again, I might be wrong and maybe they weren't Yuan-ti. Also, there was a big 6-armed snake god that you had to defeat. Does that sound to you like Yuan-ti
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  07:05:02  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, it was not in Calimshan, and no, it wasnt a snake god, its what is called a Merrilith, which is actually a lesser Ta'nar'ri, they are very powerfull, so I can see where you thought She was a god.
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  14:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh.......Ok thanks Drizzt
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  20:24:56  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was in Dragon's Eye if I recal correctly, so that big snake lady, I've read about her people before somwhere. Probaly an IWD book of some sort.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrey Williams
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  00:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrey Williams's Homepage Send Jeffrey Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Calimshan is not the only area where Yuan-ti can be found. Most Yuan-ti live in the jungles of Talashar (sp?) down on the same peninsula where Chult is located. There is also a sizeable community living in the Serpent Hills not far from the High Moor in the central Sword Coast/Western Heartlands area.

Yuan-Ti have enclaves in Amn and Tethyr being the climate is more hospitable to the "serpent folk." There's a second edition city that details a Yuan-Ti city somewhere within the Vilhon Reach. Yuan-ti are also fond of Mulhorand, Unther and Chessenta.

Geoffrey Mordraith, Sage and Servant of Helm

devilboy@anv.net
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  06:23:31  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merrilliths are in the monster manual for 2nd ed.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  07:23:18  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Williams

[quote]
Yuan-Ti have enclaves in Amn and Tethyr being the climate is more hospitable to the "serpent folk." There's a second edition city that details a Yuan-Ti city somewhere within the Vilhon Reach. Yuan-ti are also fond of Mulhorand, Unther and Chessenta.

Geoffrey Mordraith, Sage and Servant of Helm

You're right forgot about the Vilhon Reach there, IIRC its Ssespech (sp?) or something like that. No buildings with stairs, only ramps and poles to slide along. The city is on the northern shore of the Vilhon, south-west of Turmish.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  16:05:16  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's called Hlondeth. There are portals to other areas inhabited by Yuan-ti in that city.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  16:56:59  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the web articles on the WotC site (under the Portals section) there is a nice thread on linked portals involving Yuan-ti, and the city is involved in that chain of portals IIRC. I believe that there's a link on the Candlekeep website to these articles as well, if not the articles themselves...
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  17:04:04  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I went to check on the Candlekeep site, and indeed the articles are there...

Travel to Candlekeep and visit Alaundo's Library. Once in the library, one should look for a comfortable corner where several people are gathered (Bard's Rumours). If one listens carefullly to all the gossipmongers there, one should be able to catch the rumours on the Winding Serpent

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 31 Oct 2002 10:08:59
Go to Top of Page

Jeffrey Williams
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  09:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrey Williams's Homepage Send Jeffrey Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're right forgot about the Vilhon Reach there, IIRC its Ssespech (sp?) or something like that. No buildings with stairs, only ramps and poles to slide along. The city is on the northern shore of the Vilhon, south-west of Turmish.

:::Shuffling noises are heard as paper flaps from one page to the next:::

"snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"

Ah, found the accessory: The Vilhon Reach

The city name's is Hlondeth, also known as the "City of the Serpents" and "Jewel of the Vilhon." One of the many free cities along the Vilhon Reach and ruled by the evil Yuan-ti house of Extaminos.

devilboy@anv.net

Edited by - Alaundo on 31 Oct 2002 14:33:36
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  17:27:22  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Gnomes and Drow are so cool but my fav has to be the Faery. This character was imortalised by my friend Alex who created a foul-mouthed faery barbarian with a massive axe and a serious attitude problem - really cool

From the forces of evil I like Trolls and Ogres as well as Green Skins (God goblins kick arse) because of there massive weapons and below par intelligence

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  08:34:54  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, what and we Drow arent Evil!? plus we are superior to the lesser races like the goblinoids and Ogres and all that rubbish!
"Depart before the comming of the Drow!" - Krondorl DeVir - IWD 2
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  04:11:01  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to go with the Elves myself. Harmony, grace, beauty and strength and all the time in the world to hunt your enemies. How can you beat that?

What about Elven High Magic, what race has their own magic besides dragons? Evermeet and Evereska fortress homes that none can scoff at. A history that stretches back scores of thousands of years on Faerun. The elves have it cold.

All this talk of Drow as characters makes me ill, they and their sick twisted bitch goddess Lolth are an abomination. (seriously though, the DND game is a game of heroes, and the drow are not heroic by any stretch of the imagination.)

In my campaign the Drow aren't magic resistant either I feel them to be totally unbalanced and ridiculous as characters. Which is evidenced by the silly number of min/maxers who play them.

No offense to Drizzt because I think Drizzt is probably the most heroic character I've come across recently. To stand against his people and never expect to get anything but fear and antagonism for his efforts, that's a real hero.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  06:15:32  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, thats the most ignorant thing I've ever heard!(no offense)
how are the Drow ridiculos? they have magic resistance for a reason, just like all the OTHER monsters that have it, they have them for a reason, plus they have their drawbacks too, but of course you have'nt even thought of that I bet, Lloth is not a bitch either....ok well she's mean, but thats why she is the god of an Evil race, just like all the other Evil races have a Evil god! they are just the same as any other creature in FR, just the only difference is that you can PC them, so I resent you calling them "Unbalanced and Ridiculos!"
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  15:26:50  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Drizzt Posted - 11 Dec 2002 : 06:15:32
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lol, thats the most ignorant thing I've ever heard!(no offense)
how are the Drow ridiculos? they have magic resistance for a reason, just like all the OTHER monsters that have it, they have them for a reason, plus they have their drawbacks too, but of course you have'nt even thought of that I bet, Lloth is not a bitch either....ok well she's mean, but thats why she is the god of an Evil race, just like all the other Evil races have a Evil god! they are just the same as any other creature in FR, just the only difference is that you can PC them, so I resent you calling them "Unbalanced and Ridiculos!"
The Great Drizzt

The idea is that generally all the player character races should balance out in pros and cons.

Lolth is definitely a bitch no matter how you slice it, she delights in the torture and misery of her own "children" as well as others, some "goddess".

Maybe in your campaign it's different but if you check out one of the recent issues of Dragon they did a whole issue on Drow rites of passage and culture and so on. I am using that info in my Campaign and it shows the Drow in a new and terrible light (as it were).

Further let me ask you, if the Drow are not unbalanced and ridiculously powerful why is it that you play them exclusively?

As far as drawbacks go, allergy to sunlight is hardly a gamecrusher in my (maybe not so humble [])opinion. As far as the general populace of the Realms hating you because you are drow, well, I bet that works just fine for you, lemme guess you play Chaotic Neutral or lower right? The more people hate you the more you get to fight. More money, more exp, more goodies. Works out just fine.

Honestly? You like them for some reason, right? Could it be that a first level drow character is by definition more powerful than one of any other race?

Remember this is just my opinion, I was brought up on Tolkien, I like good characters up agains impossible odds doing heroic things. Naturally the drow rub me the wrong way. But if it works for you, more power to ya.

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 11 Dec 2002 22:26:19
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  19:30:33  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

LOL, what and we Drow arent Evil!? plus we are superior to the lesser races like the goblinoids and Ogres and all that rubbish!
"Depart before the comming of the Drow!" - Krondorl DeVir - IWD 2
The Great Drizzt

I like Drow but lets face it........... Drow are actually quiet powerful!!! Not my style, I like pathetic Gnomes and stupid Orcs and Goblins. Playing a crap charecter is so much more fun than playing a good one

TDM

PS: Keep this topic going, let's try and get 10 pages of replies

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  19:41:01  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Defence Minister Posted - 12 Dec 2002 : 19:30:33

I like Drow but lets face it........... Drow are actually quiet powerful!!! Not my style, I like pathetic Gnomes and stupid Orcs and Goblins. Playing a crap charecter is so much more fun than playing a good one

TDM

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 12 Dec 2002 20:10:28
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  03:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

The Defence Minister Posted - 12 Dec 2002 : 19:30:33

TDM

Artalis, I disagree. Drow do have important cons just as every other race. I belive they take a lot longer to level up(I could be wrong though) because they're a powerful race.

Well, anyway as far as Lloth being a b***h, I think everyone agrees she's evil and everything but hey, what do you expect? If there was no evil in the Realms, everything would be boring and there would be no action in the Realms because there would be no one to take action against. As somebody(I have no idea who but I heard it somewhere) said, "There can be no light without darkness."
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  06:35:12  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drummerboy, your actually my "back up singer" on this one, and my hat goes off to you, you the man.....err Drow I mean...
Drow have many drawbacks, first off, just like your "Pathetic" races guys, we Drow are also shunned, probably more so than you guys, they don't even like us in Skullport very much, and yeah, thats saying alot, next we have the whole sunlight thing....we can't see, so then we have negitives, not just for fighting, but for just good 'ole role playing as well, plus we can't bring any of our precious Adamantine weapons, armor, etc... to the surface(were naked, not literally) and we abandon EVERYTHING to come to the surface, we are very vulnerable(from the start anyways). Next, it takes us alot longer to level up too, unless were in the Underdark. anything else you can think of Drummerboy, I'm to tired to think anymore, gonna go to sleep so I can get up for work tomorrow.
By the way, anyone seen, or heard from King Tiax lately!?
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  17:38:50  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it comes down to the question of what you mean by "best". I generally feel that the best race is the one that lends itself to your style of roleplaying and makes it a natural process and "feels right" as it were.

Going by that definition the answer would be different for everyone.

If by "best" we mean most powerful then that's a whole different set of criteria and Drizz't is possibly right. (Lolth is still in insane witch who preys on her own children though IMHO )

I personally choose the elves because their rich history, their close ties with magic and their elegance and beauty appeal to me. The elves tend to treat everything as an art unto itself, that is something I agree with.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  05:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

I suppose it comes down to the question of what you mean by "best". I generally feel that the best race is the one that lends itself to your style of roleplaying and makes it a natural process and "feels right" as it were.

Going by that definition the answer would be different for everyone.

If by "best" we mean most powerful then that's a whole different set of criteria and Drizz't is possibly right. (Lolth is still in insane witch who preys on her own children though IMHO )

I personally choose the elves because their rich history, their close ties with magic and their elegance and beauty appeal to me. The elves tend to treat everything as an art unto itself, that is something I agree with.

Ok, I see what you meant then. My point was just that drow aren't all-powerful. They have disadvantages just like every other race.

As for Lloth, I think we all agree that she is mean and evil and all that stuff.

However, I kind of dislike elves because some of them (not all of them, of course) think that they are better than all the other races and seem to be somewhat racist. For example, only elves are allowed in Evermeet (I think so, but I could be wrong).

To Drizzt: It's an honor to be your "back-up singer". You have some good points that I didn't think of like how drow can't take their magical weapons and armor to the surface and how they are shunned, of course. Also, drow lose some of their powers if they go to the surface for too long, don't they? Drizzt lost his powers of levitation when he went to the surface anyway.
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  09:39:14  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think when Tiax started this thread he meant for us to vote on which race we liked best, ie which we enjoyed RPing the most.

TDM

Go to Top of Page

Grundig Helmsmasher
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  13:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Grundig Helmsmasher's Homepage Send Grundig Helmsmasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pah!! Why do you need to do a poll?? The answer is obvious,the best race is a Dwarf...nuff said!!

quote:
Originally posted by king-tiax

I'm going to do a favorite race poll; who likes what

Humans
Dwarfs
Elves
Gnomes
Halflings(Hobbits)
Half Elf
Half Orc
Drow
Goblinoids
Giant Humanoids
Undead
Mutated flora
Dragons
Fairies (Dryads, Nymphs etc...)
Will 'o' wisps (lighters)
Other (plse specify)

Daveron: My name is Daveron, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

BG1.

Go to Top of Page

Grundig Helmsmasher
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  13:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Grundig Helmsmasher's Homepage Send Grundig Helmsmasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now,now Drizzt....think back a little,aren`t you against your own kin?
Correct me if I`m wrong,but I thought you prefered the company of Dwarves,Humans and an annoying little rumble belly??

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

Oh come on now, if you all do your homework, you will find that the Drow are by far the best race, and they are practically invincible.
DARK ELVES FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  19:47:47  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grundig Helmsmasher

Pah!! Why do you need to do a poll?? The answer is obvious,the best race is a Dwarf...nuff said!!

Tiax'll agree with you there

TDM

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000