Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Rat Hills

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RodOdom Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 14:10:28
First of all, apologies for peppering this board with trivia.

Where are the Rat Hills, that monster infested city dump of Waterdeep? I can't find it on any of the maps of Waterdeep.
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arivia Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 17:47:35
Something I just found: There's a reference to the Rat Hills in the Nyth entry in Monsters of Faerun.
The Sage Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 04:50:03
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

More SW . . .

Keep it in the Realms Sage.

And to give this post some hint of "on-topicness" . . . Eric, will this map for Waterdeep in the WE be just one page of the PDF? Or multiple pages meaning you'd have to print it out to make proper use of it?

In a way, I'm hoping for multiple pages... because at least it would allow for greater detailing of specific areas. But a one-page map is just as good .
Lady Kazandra Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 00:36:52
More SW . . .

Keep it in the Realms Sage.

And to give this post some hint of "on-topicness" . . . Eric, will this map for Waterdeep in the WE be just one page of the PDF? Or multiple pages meaning you'd have to print it out to make proper use of it?
The Sage Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 16:28:00
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I just took a quick look at the map myself and I couldn't see it either on the map regarding the Rat Hills.

So, aside from the map in Dragon #128, has it been detailed on any other map for Waterdeep?

It should be on the map of the infamous, never released second web enhancement to City of Splendors: Waterdeep ... which I've learned has slipped to March release.

--Eric

"Ah... the circle is now complete. When I left Candlekeep I was but the learner scribe wondering when the second CoSWE would be released. Now I am the master!"

Thanks for the details Eric . I can't wait...
Dargoth Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 01:25:47
quote:

quote:

I just took a quick look at the map myself and I couldn't see it either on the map regarding the Rat Hills.

So, aside from the map in Dragon #128, has it been detailed on any other map for Waterdeep?

It should be on the map of the infamous, never released second web enhancement to City of Splendors: Waterdeep ... which I've learned has slipped to March release.

--Eric

I hear that the WOTC guy hnadling the CoS WE2 orginally worked for 3drealms on Duke Nukem Forever before he got his job at Wizards
warlockco Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 00:08:12
quote:

quote:

--Eric

Can we get that in writing from someone?
<flees>
RodOdom Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 17:00:47
I just got the most updated patch of the electronic FR Atlas. The Rat Hills is included, just to the south of Waterdeep.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 16:07:51
Ah, we'll finally see that long-wanted web enhancement... I was beginning to think it was vaporware!

Thanks for letting us know it's coming, Eric, and that it will have the map we seek.

And Lady K, 'tis good to see you again!
Lady Kazandra Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 16:03:12
Thanks for sharing Eric. At last... not only do we finally get the second CoSWE . . . but we also gain access to the most up-to-date map of the City of Splendors currently available.
ericlboyd Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 15:14:10
quote:

--Eric
Lady Kazandra Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 08:02:08

warlockco Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 08:01:25
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

FR1 Waterdeep should show where it is.

Not to be a stickler, but the proper name is FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

... And a quick scan of the pdf found one reference to the Rat Hills (in the Dungsweepers' Guild section, where it said little more than the fact that the Rat Hills are south of the city), and I didn't see it on the main map.

Then I must be thinking of the Dragon article that was previously mentioned that was before FR1 was released then.

And I stopped at Waterdeep, because I couldn't remember if it was "the North" or "and Environs" and was being too lazy to dig for it
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 05:39:03
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Not to be a stickler, but the proper name is FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

... And a quick scan of the pdf found one reference to the Rat Hills (in the Dungsweepers' Guild section, where it said little more than the fact that the Rat Hills are south of the city), and I didn't see it on the main map.
warlockco Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 03:28:32
scererar Posted - 25 Feb 2006 : 18:08:18
Since I have been on the original FR atlas sourcebook kick lately, I wanted to share that the rat hills is marked on the map, just south of waterdeep. The map scale is 1 inch = 100 miles, My estimate is that is is about 5 to 10 miles south of the city of splendors
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Feb 2006 : 02:08:22
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertI just checked my pdf of the City of Splendors boxed set, and it didn't show the Rat Hills. In fact, the description didn't even say that the Hills lie south of Waterdeep! I found that reference elsewhere.
Well, it references where the Rat Hills are as part of the Dungsweepers' Guild write-up... so it's still an appropriate place for the reference I suppose.

Yeah, that was where I found the reference... Kinda odd that it wasn't in the description of the locale, though.
The Sage Posted - 21 Feb 2006 : 01:17:44
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertI just checked my pdf of the City of Splendors boxed set, and it didn't show the Rat Hills. In fact, the description didn't even say that the Hills lie south of Waterdeep! I found that reference elsewhere.
Well, it references where the Rat Hills are as part of the Dungsweepers' Guild write-up... so it's still an appropriate place for the reference I suppose.
Alaundo Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 20:41:56
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

First of all, apologies for peppering this board with trivia.

Where are the Rat Hills, that monster infested city dump of Waterdeep? I can't find it on any of the maps of Waterdeep.

Well met

"pepper" away, RodOdom. Trivia, it is not. For we encourage any discussions of Realmslore herein, no matter how small. Keep 'em coming
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 18:06:15
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The Rat Hills are marked on the 'environs of Waterdeep' map in Dragon #128. Their centre is shown just under 2 hexes (so about 10 miles) south-southeast of Waterdeep along the coast.

Ah, you are correct. It is on page 9 of that magazine.
Faraer Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 17:57:18
The Rat Hills are marked on the 'environs of Waterdeep' map in Dragon #128. Their centre is shown just under 2 hexes (so about 10 miles) south-southeast of Waterdeep along the coast.
RodOdom Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 17:30:52
Thank you. I too had a problem finding any firm description of its location.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 17:20:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

It's outside of the city, to the south, I believe.

Aye... south of the city.

I don't think the maps in Steven's CoS or City System show where it is though...

I just checked my pdf of the City of Splendors boxed set, and it didn't show the Rat Hills. In fact, the description didn't even say that the Hills lie south of Waterdeep! I found that reference elsewhere.

Considering the size of the Rat Hills (before the Conflagration, it was over four miles wide!), I'd say it lies at least a few miles outside the city -- close enough for stuff to be dumped there on a regular basis, but not so close as to be a health hazard or to be threatening to expand to the city walls.
scererar Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 17:03:23
I believe the 2E boxed set has some additional info on the rat hills and encounters that could occur
The Sage Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 16:01:55
quote:

Aye... south of the city.

I don't think the maps in Steven's CoS or City System show where it is though...
ShadowJack Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 15:32:36
The novel waterdeep City of Splendors has a neat, quick side trip into the Rat Hills by one of the heroes. I like that part of the novel and the monsters he encounters... I might work that into a campaign...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 15:07:14

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000