Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Rat Hills
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  14:10:28  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
First of all, apologies for peppering this board with trivia.

Where are the Rat Hills, that monster infested city dump of Waterdeep? I can't find it on any of the maps of Waterdeep.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  15:07:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's outside of the city, to the south, I believe.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  15:32:36  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel waterdeep City of Splendors has a neat, quick side trip into the Rat Hills by one of the heroes. I like that part of the novel and the monsters he encounters... I might work that into a campaign...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  16:01:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Aye... south of the city.

I don't think the maps in Steven's CoS or City System show where it is though...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Feb 2006 16:02:39
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:03:23  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the 2E boxed set has some additional info on the rat hills and encounters that could occur
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:20:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Aye... south of the city.

I don't think the maps in Steven's CoS or City System show where it is though...

I just checked my pdf of the City of Splendors boxed set, and it didn't show the Rat Hills. In fact, the description didn't even say that the Hills lie south of Waterdeep! I found that reference elsewhere.

Considering the size of the Rat Hills (before the Conflagration, it was over four miles wide!), I'd say it lies at least a few miles outside the city -- close enough for stuff to be dumped there on a regular basis, but not so close as to be a health hazard or to be threatening to expand to the city walls.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:30:52  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I too had a problem finding any firm description of its location.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rat Hills are marked on the 'environs of Waterdeep' map in Dragon #128. Their centre is shown just under 2 hexes (so about 10 miles) south-southeast of Waterdeep along the coast.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  18:06:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The Rat Hills are marked on the 'environs of Waterdeep' map in Dragon #128. Their centre is shown just under 2 hexes (so about 10 miles) south-southeast of Waterdeep along the coast.

Ah, you are correct. It is on page 9 of that magazine.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  20:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

First of all, apologies for peppering this board with trivia.

Where are the Rat Hills, that monster infested city dump of Waterdeep? I can't find it on any of the maps of Waterdeep.

Well met

"pepper" away, RodOdom. Trivia, it is not. For we encourage any discussions of Realmslore herein, no matter how small. Keep 'em coming

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:17:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertI just checked my pdf of the City of Splendors boxed set, and it didn't show the Rat Hills. In fact, the description didn't even say that the Hills lie south of Waterdeep! I found that reference elsewhere.
Well, it references where the Rat Hills are as part of the Dungsweepers' Guild write-up... so it's still an appropriate place for the reference I suppose.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Feb 2006 01:18:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  02:08:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertI just checked my pdf of the City of Splendors boxed set, and it didn't show the Rat Hills. In fact, the description didn't even say that the Hills lie south of Waterdeep! I found that reference elsewhere.
Well, it references where the Rat Hills are as part of the Dungsweepers' Guild write-up... so it's still an appropriate place for the reference I suppose.

Yeah, that was where I found the reference... Kinda odd that it wasn't in the description of the locale, though.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  18:08:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I have been on the original FR atlas sourcebook kick lately, I wanted to share that the rat hills is marked on the map, just south of waterdeep. The map scale is 1 inch = 100 miles, My estimate is that is is about 5 to 10 miles south of the city of splendors
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  03:28:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR1 Waterdeep should show where it is.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  05:39:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Not to be a stickler, but the proper name is FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

... And a quick scan of the pdf found one reference to the Rat Hills (in the Dungsweepers' Guild section, where it said little more than the fact that the Rat Hills are south of the city), and I didn't see it on the main map.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Feb 2006 05:44:26
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  08:01:25  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Not to be a stickler, but the proper name is FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

... And a quick scan of the pdf found one reference to the Rat Hills (in the Dungsweepers' Guild section, where it said little more than the fact that the Rat Hills are south of the city), and I didn't see it on the main map.

Then I must be thinking of the Dragon article that was previously mentioned that was before FR1 was released then.

And I stopped at Waterdeep, because I couldn't remember if it was "the North" or "and Environs" and was being too lazy to dig for it

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  08:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just took a quick look at the map myself and I couldn't see it either on the map regarding the Rat Hills.

So, aside from the map in Dragon #128, has it been detailed on any other map for Waterdeep?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 26 Feb 2006 08:02:57
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  15:14:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I just took a quick look at the map myself and I couldn't see it either on the map regarding the Rat Hills.

So, aside from the map in Dragon #128, has it been detailed on any other map for Waterdeep?

It should be on the map of the infamous, never released second web enhancement to City of Splendors: Waterdeep ... which I've learned has slipped to March release.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  16:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing Eric. At last... not only do we finally get the second CoSWE . . . but we also gain access to the most up-to-date map of the City of Splendors currently available.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  16:07:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, we'll finally see that long-wanted web enhancement... I was beginning to think it was vaporware!

Thanks for letting us know it's coming, Eric, and that it will have the map we seek.

And Lady K, 'tis good to see you again!

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  17:00:47  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got the most updated patch of the electronic FR Atlas. The Rat Hills is included, just to the south of Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  00:08:12  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

It should be on the map of the infamous, never released second web enhancement to City of Splendors: Waterdeep ... which I've learned has slipped to March release.

--Eric

Can we get that in writing from someone?
<flees>

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  01:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

--Eric

I hear that the WOTC guy hnadling the CoS WE2 orginally worked for 3drealms on Duke Nukem Forever before he got his job at Wizards

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:28:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

--Eric

"Ah... the circle is now complete. When I left Candlekeep I was but the learner scribe wondering when the second CoSWE would be released. Now I am the master!"

Thanks for the details Eric . I can't wait...

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  00:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More SW . . .

Keep it in the Realms Sage.

And to give this post some hint of "on-topicness" . . . Eric, will this map for Waterdeep in the WE be just one page of the PDF? Or multiple pages meaning you'd have to print it out to make proper use of it?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  04:50:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More SW . . .

Keep it in the Realms Sage.

And to give this post some hint of "on-topicness" . . . Eric, will this map for Waterdeep in the WE be just one page of the PDF? Or multiple pages meaning you'd have to print it out to make proper use of it?

In a way, I'm hoping for multiple pages... because at least it would allow for greater detailing of specific areas. But a one-page map is just as good .

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  17:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something I just found: There's a reference to the Rat Hills in the Nyth entry in Monsters of Faerun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000