Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Forgotten Realms artists

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 03 Oct 2005 : 23:22:30
Well met

Sparked off by another scroll, I thought it best to open up a little discussion regarding thy favorite artists which have given their skills to Forgotten Realms cover art. Whilst I've placed this in the Products section, this does also extend to novel covers.

So, which artists, past and present, stand out most for ye? And which products\novels in particular have left a lasting image in thy mind and being a stand-out visual for the Realms?

Personally, as i've stated elsewhere, Todd Lockwood is my favorite artist. I've had the added bonus to meet Tood and view some of his original artwork up close (I also recommend his Transitions artbook, which features a large amount of D&D\FR artwork). Some of my favorite Lockwood art is from the Starlight and Shadows trilogy. Sons of Gruumsh is also outstanding in quality and detail. Onto the older TSR material, Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore have produced some amazing pieces, and although a few look a little dated today, still have great detail and flavor.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 01 Nov 2005 : 06:34:15
Doesn't matter, Sylvara is still way hot in the painting on the boat with Fizban and Gilthanas (sorry, DL reference)

C-Fb
warlockco Posted - 09 Oct 2005 : 09:13:28
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I don't think anyone here thinks Elmore's art is bad. In fact, he is one of the artists that made D&D what it is today... in fact - I absolutely love his Silvara... egad, that is a hot polymorphed dragon.

C-Fb

If I recall correctly alot of the Cover Art for the D&D boxes, Basic, Expert, etc was Elmore's work.
Arivia Posted - 09 Oct 2005 : 06:23:58
quote:

I don't think anyone here thinks Elmore's art is bad. In fact, he is one of the artists that made D&D what it is today... in fact - I absolutely love his Silvara... egad, that is a hot polymorphed dragon.

C-Fb

I never really liked Elmore or Caldwell. Easley I'm meh on. I do greatly prefer the newer artists(Lockwell, Wood, and so forth...)

I must agree with Alaundo that Transitions is an excellent purchase, and it makes me really want to find the Ravenloft adventure with the Spell-Rune Golem in it to update...
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 09 Oct 2005 : 06:12:18

C-Fb
Thelonius Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 22:00:47
I've just searched some elmore's asrtwork, and I don't know what's bad about it... Now seriously, I didn't know Elmore was the one behind of one of the best pictures ever made; Sturm from the Dragonlance death with Laurana at his side....
Kajehase Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 21:07:25

Funny what a story can do - I used to figuratively roll my eyes every time I saw that picture, now it's become a favourite
Alaundo Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 19:41:52
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

True story time:
We left Larry a lot of leeway on the cover art for THE NORTH boxed set. All we asked was "Maybe give us a giant or two and lots of snow. Just don't give us barbarians in loin cloths and fur bikinis on a glacier."

When the final art came in, Peggy Cooper (TSR's art director at the time) came in, a mischievous look on her face. "Remember what we asked Larry not to do? He did it," and she revealed the bikini-clad barbarian on a spit over a giant's fire. The collective reaction was "Yeah, it's illogical, even silly, but it's too good to not use."

THE NORTH is one of my favorite Larry pieces, especially with that story behind it.

Well met

Splendid tale I had wondered about that particular piece. It is in fact one of my favorite box set pieces of art.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 19:40:58
quote:

True story time:
We left Larry a lot of leeway on the cover art for THE NORTH boxed set. All we asked was "Maybe give us a giant or two and lots of snow. Just don't give us barbarians in loin cloths and fur bikinis on a glacier."

When the final art came in, Peggy Cooper (TSR's art director at the time) came in, a mischievous look on her face. "Remember what we asked Larry not to do? He did it," and she revealed the bikini-clad barbarian on a spit over a giant's fire. The collective reaction was "Yeah, it's illogical, even silly, but it's too good to not use."

THE NORTH is one of my favorite Larry pieces, especially with that story behind it.

God! I remember that picture too... Ridiculous!
Steven Schend Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 18:17:15
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

That's why I'm an Elmore fan. His artwork matches what I'd expect to see in a fantasy world... The people are proportioned correctly and realistically. Elves look like elves, dwarves look like dwarves, odd humanoid critters look like odd humanoid critters... And his dragons capture the majestic appearance we're always told dragons have.

Elmore is the only one who makes me feel I'm looking at something that could really exist somewhere.

Plus the girls he did were almost always Hot

Caldwell and Easley did some attractive girls, too. I prefer Elmore's, but he's not the only one that made attractive women. And actually, I prefer the way he portrays women, as compared to Caldwell. Caldwell has a tendency to paint women wearing very, very little. I'll acknowledge that in fantasy women can sometime end up not fully clothed, but Caldwell went overboard, in my opinion. I'm a guy, so I've nothing against looking at attractive and scantily-clad women, but I didn't feel that a lot of Caldwell's stuff was realistic, in that regard.

The appeal in Larry Elmore's women isn't that they are attractive. It's that they are attractive, and, even if scantily clad, they are still believable.

True story time:

My favorite Clyde piece for the Realms--Azure Bonds without a doubt (though the art made Kate Novak go back into the novel and write in the bit on how Alias' magical armor protects her heart, given its obvious exposure on the cover. (My favorite Clyde piece hands down is still the original module art for Ravenloft.)

And I too miss Val's artwork; she was a gem to work with and gave me exactly what I asked for on CITY OF SPLENDORS. The fact that she worked with me to make sure the angles and backgrounds of the full page art pieces on each of the wards worked with the maps (especially the shot of the arena gates) showed me how professional she could be.

SES
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 17:13:23
Well, I just picked up Lockwood's book - Transitions. He has a lot of really cool artwork in there - like a lot of the stuff from his D&D days. If you get a chance and see it in a Borders, check it out.

Anyway, back to subject - another good interior artist is Wayne England - not so much for his subject drawings, but I rather like his item/weapon drawings. I think they are very well done.

----Tahkisis has been known to reduce people's clothes to the width of candy bars before... why not an Elven Princess?

C-Fb
Lord Rad Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 15:32:06
Now this is my kind of topic

I love fantasy art and TSR\WotC have had some amazing artists over time. At the moment, Todd Lockwood is also a huge favorite of mine. He has totally changed my view of orcs with the way he has depicted them, both on Sons of Gruumsh and on The Thousand Orcs. Great stuff!

I'm also a bit Caldwell, Elmore and Easley fan. Azure Bonds, although 80's-style, is still one of my all-time favorite novel covers (it also helps that it's also one of my fav stories).

Another that has stuck out for me lately is the cover of Viper's Kiss, by Ramond Swanland. Fantastic!

It's hard to say these days, as there are so many different styles. Take a look at the Sembia series, The Priest Series and the Erevis Cale Trilogy... all very different that the "standard" style of art.

There have only been a few covers that have irked me... one set in particular which scream out as quite appauling are the old Twilight Giants trilogy. URGH!
warlockco Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 12:16:51
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Wooly, exactly what is wrong with Laurana's legs being exposed to Tahkisis? Hmmm? I am the sucker for elves.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how I could get a giant print of the Drow Female cover of Dungeon (I think 113)? It's a Wayne Reynolds, and I didn't know if there was a site to go to to look for it.

C-Fb

Check out WAR's site http://www.waynereynolds.com/Menu.htm

Looks like that piece of art has yet to be added.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 04:51:51
quote:

quote:

Wooly, exactly what is wrong with Laurana's legs being exposed to Tahkisis? Hmmm? I am the sucker for elves.

It was just unrealistic that her dress had been reduced to something the width of a candy bar.

I remember that picture! And I see your point.
Xysma Posted - 08 Oct 2005 : 03:59:21
quote:

Speaking of which, does anyone know how I could get a giant print of the Drow Female cover of Dungeon (I think 113)? It's a Wayne Reynolds, and I didn't know if there was a site to go to to look for it.

C-Fb

Check out WAR's site http://www.waynereynolds.com/Menu.htm
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 11:28:41
quote:

It was just unrealistic that her dress had been reduced to something the width of a candy bar.

quote:

C-Fb

Try Google, and see if he has a website.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 11:18:34

C-Fb
khorne Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 08:43:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Ah, Sigil. My favorite fantasy city. Waterdeep doesn`t even come close. Dana Knutson is a very good artist.
I can't completely agree with that.

Both cities definitely have their own charms that make it a particular favorite for whatever reason. But I think what is important to note here is that both the City of Splendors and the Cage are places that live and grow, more so than most other TSR/WotC fantasy cities (excluding the City of Greyhawk). They are rich and they are varied realms of excitement and mystery. It's why the will always rank among my listing of Top 5 fantasy cities from books/campaigns.

I didn`t say that Waterdeep wasn`t good. It comes second on my list of favorite cities. I just say that I love Sigil much more than Waterdeep. I can`t explain why, but that`s how it is.
The Sage Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 02:27:49
quote:

Ah, Sigil. My favorite fantasy city. Waterdeep doesn`t even come close. Dana Knutson is a very good artist.
I can't completely agree with that.

Both cities definitely have their own charms that make it a particular favorite for whatever reason. But I think what is important to note here is that both the City of Splendors and the Cage are places that live and grow, more so than most other TSR/WotC fantasy cities (excluding the City of Greyhawk). They are rich and they are varied realms of excitement and mystery. It's why the will always rank among my listing of Top 5 fantasy cities from books/campaigns.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 00:29:15
quote:

I think Caldwell uses models too, not sure if Elmore does.

Elmore does. He's referred to them in his sketchbooks. The reason I prefer Elmore's women, though, is because he doesn't have Caldwell's habit of exposing as much skin as possible. Caldwell has a habit of leaving the lower torso covered by next to nothing. A great example is his portrait of Laurana in the Temple of Darkness in Neraka (sorry for the non-Realms reference, Big Al! ). Her upper torso is most covered. Her lower torso is covered only by the remnants of her dress: a long strip of cloth maybe 3 inches wide. I've seen bikini bottoms that offered more cover... To me, that kind of depiction of skin is simply unrealistic.
warlockco Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 23:42:39
quote:
Caldwell and Easley did some attractive girls, too. I prefer Elmore's, but he's not the only one that made attractive women. And actually, I prefer the way he portrays women, as compared to Caldwell. Caldwell has a tendency to paint women wearing very, very little. I'll acknowledge that in fantasy women can sometime end up not fully clothed, but Caldwell went overboard, in my opinion. I'm a guy, so I've nothing against looking at attractive and scantily-clad women, but I didn't feel that a lot of Caldwell's stuff was realistic, in that regard.

The appeal in Larry Elmore's women isn't that they are attractive. It's that they are attractive, and, even if scantily clad, they are still believable.

I think Caldwell uses models too, not sure if Elmore does.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 23:01:03
quote:

We need more Volo`s guides! What has Volo been up to the last few years anyway?

Not to go off-topic, but...

quote:

Another note from Khelben....

"No matter how kindly we ask her to stay her hand, Our Lady of Mysteries is one to forgive Master Geddarm his mortal trespasses and release him from many of his `inconveniences.' Whilst I realize she prefers to have such a rogue `to foment and froth new magics to both conceal and reveal secrets in his wake,' I must confess to enjoy Volo's presence much more as a red-jacketed statue holding a lantern in Elminster's garden a number of summers back..."

Steven

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As for Volo: I once heard Volo called the “Geraldo Rivera of the Realms,” but I think that’s a trifle unfair to the real Mr. Rivera. Volo is a young, amoral rogue itching with the need to learn secrets and trumpet them to the world. A minor mage and major rogue, he wanders Faerun penning acidic travel guides (the Volo’s Guides, which are available as downloads and are ESSENTIAL to making a Realms campaign seem colourful and ‘real’). There’s even a Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II, which was meant to go with the computer game. Volo went so far as to write a book entitled Volo’s Guide To All Things Magical, and was threatened (by various wizards) with dire consequences if it was ever published.
Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster’s pond. He’s free again now, and I fear we’ve all not heard the last from Volo. :}

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed tells me Volo was freed almost two years ago, Realms-time, but there’s “free” and there’s “free,” if you know what I mean. Readers of Ed’s 2003 Spin A Yarn story know what he was briefly up to (and what most of the Seven Sisters think of him), and Ed tells me he also appears in the ‘thus-far-unseen, but handed in months ago’ 2004 Spin A Yarn story. I know some scribes will leap to tell me these stories aren’t canon, but to them I reply: this is VOLO we’re talking about, people! Volo!
P.S. There are several unpublished New Adventures of Volo DRAGON columns floating around in the WotC vaults, and some HORRIBLE poetry penned by Volo, too. To say nothing of a fragmentary ‘heaving bosoms’ broadsheet serial he started, ere one of his imprisonments . . .
love to all,
THO

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 23:00:04
quote:

quote:

That's why I'm an Elmore fan. His artwork matches what I'd expect to see in a fantasy world... The people are proportioned correctly and realistically. Elves look like elves, dwarves look like dwarves, odd humanoid critters look like odd humanoid critters... And his dragons capture the majestic appearance we're always told dragons have.

Elmore is the only one who makes me feel I'm looking at something that could really exist somewhere.

khorne Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 20:39:17
We need more Volo`s guides! What has Volo been up to the last few years anyway?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 19:24:02
I just received "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast" yesterday. Whoever did the art in that book may well be my favorite (that, and the art for the other Volo guides). The scenery, the clothing and gowns... Yum!

The 3E art doesn't quite "take me to the Realms" the way the old art does.
warlockco Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 19:14:40
quote:

quote:

I know what you mean, I like my fantasy art to be fantastic. It bothers me when the covers looks like my neighbor on his way to a renaissance fair.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 17:17:53
quote:

I know what you mean, I like my fantasy art to be fantastic. It bothers me when the covers looks like my neighbor on his way to a renaissance fair.

khorne Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 15:32:39
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Of the older artists, Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, Brom are some that come to mind, along with the guy that did alot of the art for Planescape.
Coming back to the mention of DiTerlizz and the art of PLANESCAPE... I also feel that Dana Knutson should receive a special mention, since it was his "medieval-tech" architecture designs and imagery that made Sigil so intriguing.

Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 15:21:07
That's true - I think Planescape found the right mix of artists that will always make that CS stand out, and really added the whole feeling to the setting. I was familiar with his art after PS was out as he drew quite bit of art for Rage the CCG and Changeling.

C-Fb
The Sage Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 14:57:30
quote:

Of the older artists, Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, Brom are some that come to mind, along with the guy that did alot of the art for Planescape.
Coming back to the mention of DiTerlizz and the art of PLANESCAPE... I also feel that Dana Knutson should receive a special mention, since it was his "medieval-tech" architecture designs and imagery that made Sigil so intriguing.
Xysma Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 14:41:17
quote:

I also really didn't like the artwork for the original Arilyn books. The almost human models painted over look kind of scared me.
C-Fb

I know what you mean, I like my fantasy art to be fantastic. It bothers me when the covers looks like my neighbor on his way to a renaissance fair. The original cover of Black Wizards and Titan of Twilight stand out in my mind as particularly bad.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000