Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Forgotten Realms artists
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  23:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Sparked off by another scroll, I thought it best to open up a little discussion regarding thy favorite artists which have given their skills to Forgotten Realms cover art. Whilst I've placed this in the Products section, this does also extend to novel covers.

So, which artists, past and present, stand out most for ye? And which products\novels in particular have left a lasting image in thy mind and being a stand-out visual for the Realms?

Personally, as i've stated elsewhere, Todd Lockwood is my favorite artist. I've had the added bonus to meet Tood and view some of his original artwork up close (I also recommend his Transitions artbook, which features a large amount of D&D\FR artwork). Some of my favorite Lockwood art is from the Starlight and Shadows trilogy. Sons of Gruumsh is also outstanding in quality and detail. Onto the older TSR material, Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore have produced some amazing pieces, and although a few look a little dated today, still have great detail and flavor.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  00:32:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I've said elsewhere, when I got into D&D, it was when everything TSR put out had cover art by Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, or Jeff Easley, and interior art by Valerie Valusek.

I got very used to seeing that level of outstanding artwork.

Since then, I've not seen any artists I even considered to be close to as good as that bunch, with the sole exception of Keith Parkinson.

For me, there is no finer artist than Larry Elmore. My favorite bit of Realms art by him is the cover of FR9 The Bloodstone Lands. There was also a nice piece by him in the old FRA.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  00:45:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always loved Elmore's work, though in some ways in my mind I associated him more with DragonLance than with Forgotten Realms. But back in those days no one was reall TIED to one particular setting. I liked Caldwell, but Easley had a tendancy to make faces and features look too "puffy" for me.

Valerie Valusek will always be my favorite black and white illustrator that has ever graced a D&D rulebook.

I have always liked Gerald Brom's stuff as well, but not so much for the Realms, because his work is very distictive and I associate it more with Dark Sun. While Fred Fields was always a good technical artist, none of his paintings really "caught" me and made me think that he had captured his subject, with the possible exception of Khelbun from the 2e City of Splendors boxed set.

Matt Stawicki, again, associated more with DL than FR, has never really won me over fully either, since his paintings have a sort of muddy, indistinct feel to them that while not unpleasant, don't lend much to my own (and its just my opinion) way of seeing a novel or game product cover.

Finally, Todd Lockwood. Yes, he definately deserves a mention in the Hall of FR Authors. I think there may be some residual backlash to some of his art due to the "Dungeonpunk" feel that WOTC wanted 3rd Edition to have, but in general, Todd, especially his dragons, are awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  00:45:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, as I've said elsewhere, when I got into D&D, it was when everything TSR put out had cover art by Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, or Jeff Easley, and interior art by Valerie Valusek.

I got very used to seeing that level of outstanding artwork.

Since then, I've not seen any artists I even considered to be close to as good as that bunch, with the sole exception of Keith Parkinson.

For me, there is no finer artist than Larry Elmore. My favorite bit of Realms art by him is the cover of FR9 The Bloodstone Lands. There was also a nice piece by him in the old FRA.

Elmore, Parkinson, Valusek, Easley, Caldwell IS D&D to me and it will always be that way. :)

Diterrizi (I probably butchered that name) will always be THE Planescape artist for me as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 04 Oct 2005 00:50:25
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  00:58:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not saying that Elmore or Caldwell weren't awesome back in the day, but I think Lockwood and Reynolds are making some awesome fantasy work. I mean, did you see Reynolds Drow on the cover of Dragon? Wow. And I have a Lockwood picture of Zhai (from Demon Stone) going up in my bedroom at home.

I'll tell you what, though, Brom does an excellent Catti-Brie on the cover of the collector's Legacy of the Drow.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  02:34:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've already expressed my love for the works of these talented artists elsewhere at Candlekeep, so I'll only say that I agree with Wooly -- these are certainly outstanding pieces of fantasy artistry.

quote:
For me, the works of Parkinson are something that need to be judged on a case by case basis. Some of the art he did for a certain comic line was certainly interesting though...

quote:

Elmore was the ART OF DRAGONLANCE. While Tracy and Margaret created the world of Krynn through their words... Elmore was the one to give that world an image. That's something that I will always remember, because the matching of three great artistic talents was what made the original DL stories -- the best!

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Diterrizi (I probably butchered that name) will always be THE Planescape artist for me as well.

That goes without saying . The work of DiTerlizz was that special "something" that captured the nature and tone of the PLANESCAPE setting. I've not seen any other works that even come close to that.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  02:39:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additionally, Brom's work for the DARK SUN line of products was always a pleasure for me. His images always managed to retain a certain sharpness about them... that integrated well with the harsh nature of the world he was drawing for.

And Caldwell and RAVENLOFT -- None of the 3e RL products ever came close to what Caldwell attempted during his run on the old RL products. When I remember Strahd von Zarovich, its always Caldwell's works that spring to mind .

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  02:52:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I've really tried to be objective even when someone's art didn't strike me as wonderful, but does anyone else really not enjoy Thomas Baxa's artwork. I have nothing against someone that has a love of fantasy and can make a living in the industry . . . but not only did Baxa's work not seem quite as impressive as Brom's when I first saw it in Dark Sun material, but I haven't grown to like it any more as it has increasingly appeared in Realms products (for example, the Phaerimm from LEOF, or Aumvor in COR).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  02:57:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My introduction to the fantasy works of Thomas Baxa was through M:tG. And I can't say that I've really found them inspiring, mostly because his fantasy images have a very "gritty" feel about them.

He certainly has a knack for fantasy imagery... but it's not my cup of java . (I wonder how many scribes will catch on to that reference... using java and Baxa in the same post ).

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Oct 2005 02:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do love Lockwood in this house and I love how when you order his prints he emails you himself and tells you they are on their way (unless its just me and in that case I wonder if he has a crush on me.. *grin*).

I do keep a special place in my heart for Elmore and Easley as well. There is some art that you see that just grabs you, and while you may not be a fan of all their work, that one piece will always make you stop and stare.

Or is it just me?

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:17:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and though Elmore got the skin tone wrong for Drizzt, I think his cover for The Crytal Shard was the best artwork to grace any of Drizzt books...

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:18:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dispite the fact that I wasn't a fan of the "dungeonpunk" remodel of clothing, armor, and the like for 3rd Edition, I really liked Lockwood's 30th anniversary bar room brawl painting that he did. That vicious blond elf in white with that dangerous glare in her eye . . . well, anyway, you get the point.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:23:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, did you ever see the cover of the Icewind Dale Trilogy compilation? Its an Elmore that depicts Drizzt and Catti-brie. Best looking Catti-brie I have ever seen, proper skin tone for Drizzt, appropriately sized scimitars and all. He's also not wearing any extra trinkets, just a simple shirt and pants. Its actually an interesting visual piece.
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I really liked how Drizzt was pictured in DemonStone too. Not too sure about the voice...but the visual was hot. :)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  05:44:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Wooly, did you ever see the cover of the Icewind Dale Trilogy compilation? Its an Elmore that depicts Drizzt and Catti-brie. Best looking Catti-brie I have ever seen, proper skin tone for Drizzt, appropriately sized scimitars and all. He's also not wearing any extra trinkets, just a simple shirt and pants. Its actually an interesting visual piece.

Nope, I missed that one... Anyone got a link to the pic?

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  07:18:56  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would really love a Rebbeca Guay cover of the Realms....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  13:12:10  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lockwood is my favorite.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  13:21:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Lockwood is my favorite.

I have to concur. Lockwood is my favorite as well, although I'll always like Elmore and Easley as well.

I've seen the original for Lands of Intrigue and I own the original for Powers & Pantheons, and I have to add that the originals are 10x better than his already fabulous covers.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 04 Oct 2005 13:22:18
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  13:34:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric - that's not nice - no reason to make me jealous! :)

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2005 :  18:24:39  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal favourites would be Larry Elmore and Therese Nielsen, especially Nielsen, the covers for Black Wolf and Heirs of Prophecy are my two favourite covers to the FR-novels (although Azure Bonds aren't bad either

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  01:26:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blast . . . the Elmore Cover for the Icewind Dale collection isn't on his site . . . I'm still looking . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  04:44:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Blast . . . the Elmore Cover for the Icewind Dale collection isn't on his site . . . I'm still looking . . .

Well, it's kinda small, but here's a pic of the cover art (without the title):
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/TheCrystalShard_1.jpg

This page shows the original cover art for all three books:
http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_ice.html

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Oct 2005 04:47:03
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  05:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Todd Lockwood is my favorite, I got the chance to see the original oil painting of the Tangled Webs cover at a local con, and it was spectacular. I'm also a huge fan of Brom and Keith Parkinson. Steven Belledin and Jeremy Jarvis do outstanding work as well. It seems that the "grittyness" of many of the newer artists are not well received, but I prefer that to the 80's hairstyles of some of the older artwork. That being said, the covers of the Finder's Stone Trilogy are among my favorites in spite of Alias' hair.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Jeff Easley, no list of greats can be complete without him.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 06 Oct 2005 14:44:46
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  06:54:18  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Todd Lockwood is my favorite, I got the chance to see the original oil painting of the Tangled Webs cover at a local con, and it was spectacular. I'm also a huge fan of Brom and Keith Parkinson. Steven Belledin and Jeremy Jarvis do outstanding work as well. It seems that the "grittyness" of many of the newer artists are not well received, but I prefer that to the 80's hairstyles of some of the older artwork. That being said, the covers of the Finder's Stone Trilogy are among my favorites in spite of Alias' hair.

Yeah, I do enjoy Todd Lockwood's work.
Makes me kinda feel robbed, that they commissioned him to do are for the reprints of the Daughter of the Drow and the Drizzt novels.

I also like Mathew Wilson, Wayne Reynolds, and Sam Woods out of the new people too.

Of the older artists, Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, Brom are some that come to mind, along with the guy that did alot of the art for Planescape.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  11:11:02  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Yeah, I do enjoy Todd Lockwood's work.
Makes me kinda feel robbed, that they commissioned him to do are for the reprints of the Daughter of the Drow and the Drizzt novels.

I also like Mathew Wilson, Wayne Reynolds, and Sam Woods out of the new people too.

Of the older artists, Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, Brom are some that come to mind, along with the guy that did alot of the art for Planescape.

In my opinion - Lockwood made that series visually appealing with his new artwork. The previous covers weren't that catching. Either way, the story was good, though, so huzzah!

I also really didn't like the artwork for the original Arilyn books. The almost human models painted over look kind of scared me. I much prefer the new covers. Except that Elaith has a goatee, and that I do not think he should have.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  13:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again....mustaches on elves!!! The world has gone mad.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  14:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I also really didn't like the artwork for the original Arilyn books. The almost human models painted over look kind of scared me.
C-Fb

I know what you mean, I like my fantasy art to be fantastic. It bothers me when the covers looks like my neighbor on his way to a renaissance fair. The original cover of Black Wizards and Titan of Twilight stand out in my mind as particularly bad.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  14:57:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Coming back to the mention of DiTerlizz and the art of PLANESCAPE... I also feel that Dana Knutson should receive a special mention, since it was his "medieval-tech" architecture designs and imagery that made Sigil so intriguing.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Oct 2005 15:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  15:21:07  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's true - I think Planescape found the right mix of artists that will always make that CS stand out, and really added the whole feeling to the setting. I was familiar with his art after PS was out as he drew quite bit of art for Rage the CCG and Changeling.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  15:32:39  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Coming back to the mention of DiTerlizz and the art of PLANESCAPE... I also feel that Dana Knutson should receive a special mention, since it was his "medieval-tech" architecture designs and imagery that made Sigil so intriguing.

Ah, Sigil. My favorite fantasy city. Waterdeep doesn`t even come close. Dana Knutson is a very good artist.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  17:17:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know what you mean, I like my fantasy art to be fantastic. It bothers me when the covers looks like my neighbor on his way to a renaissance fair.

That's why I'm an Elmore fan. His artwork matches what I'd expect to see in a fantasy world... The people are proportioned correctly and realistically. Elves look like elves, dwarves look like dwarves, odd humanoid critters look like odd humanoid critters... And his dragons capture the majestic appearance we're always told dragons have.

Elmore is the only one who makes me feel I'm looking at something that could really exist somewhere.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000