Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Kara-Tur

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kianna Posted - 03 Oct 2005 : 04:22:01
Anything? Ever? I have so much awesome Japanese music and no setting.

Actually I think it would be nice to get all those old 2nd Ed. settings in official 3E sometime. Makes me all nostalgic thinking about it....

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 16:19:38
Books are good food, anyway... like Campbell's soup.

C-Fb
Kuje Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 07:54:58
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

Nice. So why again did I make Crennen pay all that money for old 1E and 2E books??? :)

Because, like me, you two wanted the hard copies because reading online makes your eyes bleed. :)

Which I became painfully aware of while reading your NPC list and Ed's answers! ...I just couldn't quit reading.

Muh haha. :)
Xysma Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 07:46:36
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Nice. So why again did I make Crennen pay all that money for old 1E and 2E books??? :)

Because, like me, you two wanted the hard copies because reading online makes your eyes bleed. :)

Which I became painfully aware of while reading your NPC list and Ed's answers! ...I just couldn't quit reading.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 15:58:05
Sorry Wooly, let me explain. Based only on the sourcebooks, my early inclination was to favor Kozakura as a setting, but upon reading about Shou Lung in a novel, it caught my imagination. I didn't mean to imply that Kozakura had made an appearance there. Sorry for the confusion.
Kianna Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 14:04:25
Humidity and moving don't mix, for sure.

So I guess the main consensus is no Kara-Tur source books. Which is a shame because I was flipping thoguh my 2E stuff and its really really sadly lacking in detail.
Alaundo Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 12:22:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'm still trying to come up with a good reason to side track my PCs to Shou Lung, if only to say that they have been there. I like Shou Lung. The funny thing is, before the first book of the Empires trilogy I liked Kozakura much better, but for some reason I really enjoyed the nation after reading a book there.

They aren't standard Realmslore, but I did like the Empires Trilogy, especially when compared to the sister trilogy that explored Maztica (which, ironcally, the players have shown more interest in exploring).

Huh? Kozakura wasn't in the Empires triogy... Shou Lung was, but not Kozakura. I don't think it was even mentioned...

And why do you say it's not standard Realmslore?

Oh, and Kianna: I did it in the Florida summer. I've done California summers, and it's a lot better than a Florida summer...

Well met

I believe the emissary dispatched to meet with Yamun Kahan was from Kozakura (I don't recall his name, however)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 11:39:41
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'm still trying to come up with a good reason to side track my PCs to Shou Lung, if only to say that they have been there. I like Shou Lung. The funny thing is, before the first book of the Empires trilogy I liked Kozakura much better, but for some reason I really enjoyed the nation after reading a book there.

They aren't standard Realmslore, but I did like the Empires Trilogy, especially when compared to the sister trilogy that explored Maztica (which, ironcally, the players have shown more interest in exploring).

Huh? Kozakura wasn't in the Empires triogy... Shou Lung was, but not Kozakura. I don't think it was even mentioned...

And why do you say it's not standard Realmslore?

Oh, and Kianna: I did it in the Florida summer. I've done California summers, and it's a lot better than a Florida summer...
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 04:42:25

The Sage Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 04:38:10
My, my... we seem to have diverted from the conversation about Kara-Tur .

Please, let us return to the topic at hand... .
Kianna Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 04:01:11
Now, picture two people who both had all the D&D 2E books, two almost full sets of WOD books, one and a half sets of 3E books and multiple misc 1E books......and various other things such as 2E box sets, Marvel Universe box sets, Con X, SLA Ind., etc. etc.

We packed and moved it all by ourselves...into an upstairs apartment...in the Claifornia summertime. We are not moving for a VERY long time. And when we do you are all more than welcome to come help us for pizza and ale. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 03:43:54
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Plus, having almost all the 2e and 3e books (along with every 2nd edition White Wolf book) makes the book shelf that much more impressive.

C-Fb

Except when it comes to moving
One reason I am perfectly content to live in my parents basement still. 5 book shelves which are 6'x4' full of books, and several other misc shelving full of books too.

I've got that in my living rooom... And yeah, it was a pain to move it all. I moved from a 2nd floor apartment to a 3rd floor apartment, and I carried all the books myself.
warlockco Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 03:19:42
quote:

Plus, having almost all the 2e and 3e books (along with every 2nd edition White Wolf book) makes the book shelf that much more impressive.

C-Fb

Except when it comes to moving
One reason I am perfectly content to live in my parents basement still. 5 book shelves which are 6'x4' full of books, and several other misc shelving full of books too.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 14:37:37

C-Fb
Kianna Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 14:10:03
Yes....I would say the advantage to books in book form means you can take it anywhere, you dont' kill your eyes, and you have somethingnice to put on the shelf.

In PDF form our dogs don't eat them, You can more easily cut and paste info into other docs, and you have room on your shelf for other things, such as the D&D movie parts 1 and 2.

AH...choices! :)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 03:36:46
Yeah, there is nothing like having an actual book in your hands.
Kuje Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:50:43
quote:

Kianna Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:25:34
Gray Richardson Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:07:37
I just noticed that paizo.com has now entered the competition to sell pdf products. They have a slew of old 1e & 2e D&D pdf's for sale. Inlcuding the Kara-Tur pdf. They are only charging $4.00.
Kara-Tur Box Set PDF from Paizo

Edited to fix the coding on the link.
Mean Eyed Cat Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 22:31:26
quote:

Its called Legend of the Samurai and its got a red cover. Its really neat if you are into the historical side of Japan. Its got new classes and spells and skills and feats. Very cool.

It isn't something I would use alone, but if you are into picking out great bits of info I suggest it.

You can also buy it as a pdf:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2500

and

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=4094&src=los_home

warlockco Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 06:50:32
quote:

Its called Legend of the Samurai and its got a red cover. Its really neat if you are into the historical side of Japan. Its got new classes and spells and skills and feats. Very cool.

It isn't something I would use alone, but if you are into picking out great bits of info I suggest it.

K, thanks, might have to look into that.
Kianna Posted - 05 Oct 2005 : 15:04:26

warlockco Posted - 05 Oct 2005 : 13:05:52
quote:

I agree... I didn't like the 3E one because it seemed to focus too much on Rokugan rather than just explain, like the 1E one did, how to use asian-styled characters in your game. Kianna and I recently picked up a wonderful OGL book concerning Ancient Japan - goes through tons of classes, classes of citizens, history - whole loads of stuff.

If you are interested in using these in your games - check it out!

C-Fb

What book?
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 05 Oct 2005 : 01:00:40
I agree... I didn't like the 3E one because it seemed to focus too much on Rokugan rather than just explain, like the 1E one did, how to use asian-styled characters in your game. Kianna and I recently picked up a wonderful OGL book concerning Ancient Japan - goes through tons of classes, classes of citizens, history - whole loads of stuff.

If you are interested in using these in your games - check it out!

C-Fb
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Oct 2005 : 17:33:39
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's why I like some FR products in PDF format. It makes it easier to find a reference in-game instead of having to leave the table to find the hardcopy of the tome itself.

I've got all the free pdfs... I may eventually get the rest, for ease of searching.

You know, I have the 3E Oriental Adventures... But it didn't seem as interesting as the original one. I suppose part of that problem could be sheer prejudice: why did they pick a different Oriental setting to cover when they already had one?!?
Kianna Posted - 04 Oct 2005 : 14:13:38
Now I will sacrifice you to Lolth for that.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 04 Oct 2005 : 11:32:48
I would vote she's just too lazy to roll them up anymore.

I'm going to get flak for this.

C-Fb
Kianna Posted - 04 Oct 2005 : 03:32:03
True, but I am old-fashioned in that I like my tomes.

Though I did just create my X-cel D&D character sheet finally so I could move into the future of gaming (or I am just too lazy now-a-days to roll up my NPC's on paper....).
The Sage Posted - 04 Oct 2005 : 03:08:26
That's why I like some FR products in PDF format. It makes it easier to find a reference in-game instead of having to leave the table to find the hardcopy of the tome itself.
Kianna Posted - 04 Oct 2005 : 03:04:57
Well, like it or love it its there int he Realms now.

I do have Rokugan and all the 2E stuff. I will have to go through Dragon again though, thanks for the tip.

But it's so nice to actually have something new and hardcovered and bound with love that I can flip through rather than running to my 2E horde in the back whenever I need something. I am a lazy DM... ;)
The Sage Posted - 04 Oct 2005 : 02:27:58
Let us not forget also the Shou Lung family of Kuang, who have been recently assembling expeditions to Faerun for the purposes of trading their unique dyed silks.

SOURCE: The Yellow Silk

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000