Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Kara-Tur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  04:22:01  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anything? Ever? I have so much awesome Japanese music and no setting.

Actually I think it would be nice to get all those old 2nd Ed. settings in official 3E sometime. Makes me all nostalgic thinking about it....

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  04:23:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon #315 updated it a little. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  05:07:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

Actually I think it would be nice to get all those old 2nd Ed. settings in official 3E sometime. Makes me all nostalgic thinking about it....

If you truly are looking for a quasi-Japanese setting, then look at Rokugan.
Which is the setting for the Legend of the Five Rings CCG.
There is a Rokugan Campaign Setting book, and about a dozen or more sourcebooks for it.
It is published by AEG, who currently hold the license from WotC for the current Official Oriental Adventures Campaign Setting.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  05:37:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

If you truly are looking for a quasi-Japanese setting, then look at Rokugan.
Which is the setting for the Legend of the Five Rings CCG.
There is a Rokugan Campaign Setting book, and about a dozen or more sourcebooks for it.
It is published by AEG, who currently hold the license from WotC for the current Official Oriental Adventures Campaign Setting.

The more recent d20 tome for the Rokugan setting was a vast improvement over the earlier d20 Lot5R rules material. I picked it up a few months ago mainly because I've always enjoyed the Rokugan setting itself. I don't have any intentions on running a d20 Lot5R game, since my d6 version is working well as it is. Aside from that though, it's not something I'd combine with the Realms material... simply because the magical arts as they are in Rokugan, are considerably different when compared to the functioning of magic in the Realms.

Of course, there's nothing stopping an imaginative DM from using some of the more generalised Oriental-based material presented in the book for fleshing out a 3e conversion of the older KARA-TUR expansion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Oct 2005 05:43:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  05:45:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's my understanding that Kara-Tur was originally not attached to any gameworld, and was only bolted on to the Realms because of TSR's policy of "everything is in the Realms!"

For what it's worth, I do see the boxed set pop up on eBay pretty frequently. I believe it's there now... And that's where I got my copy.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  07:38:48  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's my understanding that Kara-Tur was originally not attached to any gameworld, and was only bolted on to the Realms because of TSR's policy of "everything is in the Realms!"

For what it's worth, I do see the boxed set pop up on eBay pretty frequently. I believe it's there now... And that's where I got my copy.

RPGNow.com has a pdf copy of the Kara-tur boxed set for $5 available.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1356&

Its listed as 11 megs.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  20:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's my understanding as well. Besides, the inclusion of Kara-Tur seems to follow the old cliche that the eastern reaches of a fantasy continent (no matter what the setting) MUST have a real world Asian-type culture.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  23:05:42  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we do have the box set - Kianna is just looking for more of an update for the paths between the known of Faerun and Kara-tur. And, Kara-tur did make it through the edition change, since it is mentioned in the FR products. I would not discount WotC bringing a sourcebook out on it - especially since they revisited the Asian classes in the "Complete" series.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  23:17:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, one way or the other, Kara-Tur is officially part of the Realms. Otherwise, those barbarians Azoun fought were from "off the map." Not to mention all of the Shou ambassadors in the various major cities, the Shou expatriate region, and most recently the Kozakuran woman that is married to one of the Waterdhavian Noble House Patriarchs.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  00:36:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there's a couple of other Kara-Tur NPCs in the Heartlands. Prince Tang is one, Ishi Barasume is another.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  00:46:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How could I forget Ishi? Eeep . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  02:27:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us not forget also the Shou Lung family of Kuang, who have been recently assembling expeditions to Faerun for the purposes of trading their unique dyed silks.

SOURCE: The Yellow Silk

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, like it or love it its there int he Realms now.

I do have Rokugan and all the 2E stuff. I will have to go through Dragon again though, thanks for the tip.

But it's so nice to actually have something new and hardcovered and bound with love that I can flip through rather than running to my 2E horde in the back whenever I need something. I am a lazy DM... ;)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:08:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I like some FR products in PDF format. It makes it easier to find a reference in-game instead of having to leave the table to find the hardcopy of the tome itself.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Oct 2005 03:09:10
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  03:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but I am old-fashioned in that I like my tomes.

Though I did just create my X-cel D&D character sheet finally so I could move into the future of gaming (or I am just too lazy now-a-days to roll up my NPC's on paper....).

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  11:32:48  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would vote she's just too lazy to roll them up anymore.

I'm going to get flak for this.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  14:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I will sacrifice you to Lolth for that.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  17:33:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's why I like some FR products in PDF format. It makes it easier to find a reference in-game instead of having to leave the table to find the hardcopy of the tome itself.

I've got all the free pdfs... I may eventually get the rest, for ease of searching.

You know, I have the 3E Oriental Adventures... But it didn't seem as interesting as the original one. I suppose part of that problem could be sheer prejudice: why did they pick a different Oriental setting to cover when they already had one?!?

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2005 :  01:00:40  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree... I didn't like the 3E one because it seemed to focus too much on Rokugan rather than just explain, like the 1E one did, how to use asian-styled characters in your game. Kianna and I recently picked up a wonderful OGL book concerning Ancient Japan - goes through tons of classes, classes of citizens, history - whole loads of stuff.

If you are interested in using these in your games - check it out!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2005 :  13:05:52  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I agree... I didn't like the 3E one because it seemed to focus too much on Rokugan rather than just explain, like the 1E one did, how to use asian-styled characters in your game. Kianna and I recently picked up a wonderful OGL book concerning Ancient Japan - goes through tons of classes, classes of citizens, history - whole loads of stuff.

If you are interested in using these in your games - check it out!

C-Fb

What book?

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2005 :  15:04:26  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its called Legend of the Samurai and its got a red cover. Its really neat if you are into the historical side of Japan. Its got new classes and spells and skills and feats. Very cool.

It isn't something I would use alone, but if you are into picking out great bits of info I suggest it.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  06:50:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its called Legend of the Samurai and its got a red cover. Its really neat if you are into the historical side of Japan. Its got new classes and spells and skills and feats. Very cool.

It isn't something I would use alone, but if you are into picking out great bits of info I suggest it.

K, thanks, might have to look into that.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Mean Eyed Cat
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  22:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Mean Eyed Cat's Homepage Send Mean Eyed Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can also buy it as a pdf:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2500

and

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=4094&src=los_home

Check out our FR Campaign:
http://mysite.verizon.net/restga8f/recountal/
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that paizo.com has now entered the competition to sell pdf products. They have a slew of old 1e & 2e D&D pdf's for sale. Inlcuding the Kara-Tur pdf. They are only charging $4.00.
Kara-Tur Box Set PDF from Paizo

Edited to fix the coding on the link.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Oct 2005 02:32:15
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. So why again did I make Crennen pay all that money for old 1E and 2E books??? :)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:50:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice. So why again did I make Crennen pay all that money for old 1E and 2E books??? :)

Because, like me, you two wanted the hard copies because reading online makes your eyes bleed. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  03:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there is nothing like having an actual book in your hands.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  14:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes....I would say the advantage to books in book form means you can take it anywhere, you dont' kill your eyes, and you have somethingnice to put on the shelf.

In PDF form our dogs don't eat them, You can more easily cut and paste info into other docs, and you have room on your shelf for other things, such as the D&D movie parts 1 and 2.

AH...choices! :)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  14:37:37  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus, having almost all the 2e and 3e books (along with every 2nd edition White Wolf book) makes the book shelf that much more impressive.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  03:19:42  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Plus, having almost all the 2e and 3e books (along with every 2nd edition White Wolf book) makes the book shelf that much more impressive.

C-Fb

Except when it comes to moving
One reason I am perfectly content to live in my parents basement still. 5 book shelves which are 6'x4' full of books, and several other misc shelving full of books too.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  03:43:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

C-Fb

Except when it comes to moving
One reason I am perfectly content to live in my parents basement still. 5 book shelves which are 6'x4' full of books, and several other misc shelving full of books too.

I've got that in my living rooom... And yeah, it was a pain to move it all. I moved from a 2nd floor apartment to a 3rd floor apartment, and I carried all the books myself.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000