Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Symbol for the Triad?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chosen of Bane Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 03:08:29
I was wondering if there was a symbol for the Triad collectively? For a character I am creating a backstory for he inherited a masterwork longsword from a knight that payed homage to Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater so I was wondering if there was a symbol that I should have as decoration to the hilt.

I suppose I can always use Tyr's holy symbol as he is the "leader" of the triad but it would be better if the symbol was not for a specific deity.

As always....

Thanks in advance.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 03:13:22
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I would say Tyr's symbol should always be on top since he is the "Greater" deity and is the "leader" of the three gods.

Which was what I was getting at earlier with my own suggestion. It reflects how both duty - Torm - and perserverance - Ilmater - are crucial aspects to the pursuit and application of even-handed justice - Tyr.
Chosen of Bane Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 02:36:48
I would say Tyr's symbol should always be on top since he is the "Greater" deity and is the "leader" of the three gods.
Steven Schend Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 02:24:37
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

So, you're saying their could be a religious feud between the clery and the faithful and the artisans? I think if they faithful were devout enough to one of the triad, they would always want their symbol on top. That seems to be human nature.

C-Fb

Which might be a reason to generate a circular symbol that is mounted on a wheel, so whoever is the ranking priest in charge at that moment can turn his god's marker highest? Works for me....

SES
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 14:38:32
So, you're saying their could be a religious feud between the clery and the faithful and the artisans? I think if they faithful were devout enough to one of the triad, they would always want their symbol on top. That seems to be human nature.

C-Fb
Steven Schend Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 13:37:46
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Yes, those of the Triad either use that amalgamated symbol (and only those who've been part of this since the reunification of Tethyr--the new symbol being requested by the Crown Ecclesiastic to be used with a stained glass window in Faerntarn) or all three symbols stamped onto an item like runes.
Alternatively, for the amalgameted symbol, we could have a representation that evokes each of the three principles of the Triad more specifically... each held in respective power to Tyr as its head. For example, the metal gauntlet of Torm could grip the warhammer of Tyr's symbol -- representing the need to pursue "dutiful justice", while the balanced set of scales could be held by the bounded wrists of Ilmater's symbol which in turn reflects the need for perserverance in the face of pursuing balanced justice for all.

I like that too. Maybe that's something used specifically at Triad temples and is currently a potential schism point as artisans and the faithful jockey to see which unified symbol becomes the norm.
The Sage Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 00:52:39
quote:

Yes, those of the Triad either use that amalgamated symbol (and only those who've been part of this since the reunification of Tethyr--the new symbol being requested by the Crown Ecclesiastic to be used with a stained glass window in Faerntarn) or all three symbols stamped onto an item like runes.
Alternatively, for the amalgameted symbol, we could have a representation that evokes each of the three principles of the Triad more specifically... each held in respective power to Tyr as its head. For example, the metal gauntlet of Torm could grip the warhammer of Tyr's symbol -- representing the need to pursue "dutiful justice", while the balanced set of scales could be held by the bounded wrists of Ilmater's symbol which in turn reflects the need for perserverance in the face of pursuing balanced justice for all.
Kuje Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 23:06:49
Maiden/Mother/Crone. :)

Also Planescape loved the rule of threes and it's all over the place in the Planecape lore. :)
Neriandal Freit Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 23:05:57
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>You know..I kinda just realized something. Three is a very >>powerful number in the realms.

Don't forget "the threesome", a dream held by all young dalesmen that they'd like to experience <g>.

Ah, shared by many, but not by I. More of a "Give attention to one" fellow my self.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 21:34:36
>>You know..I kinda just realized something. Three is a very >>powerful number in the realms.

Don't forget "the threesome", a dream held by all young dalesmen that they'd like to experience <g>.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 21:09:02
quote:

[quote]
Who would remind folks that one other mark might come onto things--the flower of whatever saint's abbey/cloister the item came from.....and then he realizes he only set up libraries and such, not forges in Ilmater's name, and thus he should fix that soon.......over in his group

Posted something to this topic in the above-mentioned thread.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 20:28:29
That's because historically and mythically, three has always held much power. I think it's because it shows up time and time again, it's easy to use three (and multiples there of) in a lot of lore. Look at the gods of Krynn (3 main ones). Heck, look at Christianity.

Anyway, three pops up all the time - same as that pesky seven!

C-Fb
Kajehase Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 20:17:27
You forgot the "Dark Three" - Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul, or how about the "Risen Three" - Cyric, Kelemvor and Mystra.

Three is a fairly powerful number (at least symbolically) in the Real World as well - Three wise men, or the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit to use christian examples, but it is far from just a christian occurence - for example, according to the texts on the (possibly mythical) Asa-temple in Uppsala, it had three major idols in it (Oden/Odin, Tor/Thor, and Frej/Frey).

If you take the time, you'll be able to come up with dozens and dozens of threes (and probably quite a number of sevens and twelves as well).
Neriandal Freit Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 19:27:18
You know..I kinda just realized something. Three is a very powerful number in the realms.

You have Selune, Mystra and Mielikki all being worshiped
You have Tyr, Torm and Ilmater
You have the three Seldarine's who cametogether to protect Corellon from Araunshee

and, last but not least, you have Lathander, Selune and Chauntea. Yes, I'm speaking of The Triangle of Three :) *cough*
Steven Schend Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 13:38:23
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

That is a possibility, thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't already a symbol for them.

Or intertwine the symbols. Tyr's holy symbol as per F&P is scales of justice with a trailing red cord and a hammer imposed over them. replace the hammer with the symbol of Torm (the upright gauntleted hand) and one has a potential representation of the Triad. (The red cord being also part of Ilmater's symbol...)

Perfect answer and just what I was going to suggest. Good job, ace.

Steven
Who would remind folks that one other mark might come onto things--the flower of whatever saint's abbey/cloister the item came from.....and then he realizes he only set up libraries and such, not forges in Ilmater's name, and thus he should fix that soon.......over in his group
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 06:28:32
quote:

That is a possibility, thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't already a symbol for them.

Or intertwine the symbols. Tyr's holy symbol as per F&P is scales of justice with a trailing red cord and a hammer imposed over them. replace the hammer with the symbol of Torm (the upright gauntleted hand) and one has a potential representation of the Triad. (The red cord being also part of Ilmater's symbol...)
The Sage Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 03:36:38
Not that I recall.

The Triad isn't really an "official" deity collective, in the terms that it is commonly regarded as such by every single deity or worshipper. Most of the clergy for Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater likely know and appreciate the significance of such a grouping, but it isn't something that gets passed around alot as a proper naming or definitive divine reference. I think it's more of an "unofficial" grouping... just a reference like, "these three deities are sometimes referred to as the Triad" -- a reflection of their respective similarities between their portfolios.

And looking at Tyr's entry in F&A, we see that this is also the case.
Chosen of Bane Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 03:22:44
Brother Ezra Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 03:18:10
I'm not aware of any single symbol that represents all three members of the Triad. Could you place all three holy symbols on the sword, signifying that it is dedicated to the cause of all three gods, not just one singly?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000