Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Symbol for the Triad?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  03:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if there was a symbol for the Triad collectively? For a character I am creating a backstory for he inherited a masterwork longsword from a knight that payed homage to Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater so I was wondering if there was a symbol that I should have as decoration to the hilt.

I suppose I can always use Tyr's holy symbol as he is the "leader" of the triad but it would be better if the symbol was not for a specific deity.

As always....

Thanks in advance.

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  03:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not aware of any single symbol that represents all three members of the Triad. Could you place all three holy symbols on the sword, signifying that it is dedicated to the cause of all three gods, not just one singly?

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  03:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a possibility, thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't already a symbol for them.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  03:36:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I recall.

The Triad isn't really an "official" deity collective, in the terms that it is commonly regarded as such by every single deity or worshipper. Most of the clergy for Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater likely know and appreciate the significance of such a grouping, but it isn't something that gets passed around alot as a proper naming or definitive divine reference. I think it's more of an "unofficial" grouping... just a reference like, "these three deities are sometimes referred to as the Triad" -- a reflection of their respective similarities between their portfolios.

And looking at Tyr's entry in F&A, we see that this is also the case.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Nov 2005 03:39:11
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  06:28:32  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

That is a possibility, thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't already a symbol for them.

Or intertwine the symbols. Tyr's holy symbol as per F&P is scales of justice with a trailing red cord and a hammer imposed over them. replace the hammer with the symbol of Torm (the upright gauntleted hand) and one has a potential representation of the Triad. (The red cord being also part of Ilmater's symbol...)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  13:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

Or intertwine the symbols. Tyr's holy symbol as per F&P is scales of justice with a trailing red cord and a hammer imposed over them. replace the hammer with the symbol of Torm (the upright gauntleted hand) and one has a potential representation of the Triad. (The red cord being also part of Ilmater's symbol...)

Perfect answer and just what I was going to suggest. Good job, ace.

Yes, those of the Triad either use that amalgamated symbol (and only those who've been part of this since the reunification of Tethyr--the new symbol being requested by the Crown Ecclesiastic to be used with a stained glass window in Faerntarn) or all three symbols stamped onto an item like runes.

Steven
Who would remind folks that one other mark might come onto things--the flower of whatever saint's abbey/cloister the item came from.....and then he realizes he only set up libraries and such, not forges in Ilmater's name, and thus he should fix that soon.......over in his group

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  19:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know..I kinda just realized something. Three is a very powerful number in the realms.

You have Selune, Mystra and Mielikki all being worshiped
You have Tyr, Torm and Ilmater
You have the three Seldarine's who cametogether to protect Corellon from Araunshee

and, last but not least, you have Lathander, Selune and Chauntea. Yes, I'm speaking of The Triangle of Three :) *cough*

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  20:17:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You forgot the "Dark Three" - Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul, or how about the "Risen Three" - Cyric, Kelemvor and Mystra.

Three is a fairly powerful number (at least symbolically) in the Real World as well - Three wise men, or the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit to use christian examples, but it is far from just a christian occurence - for example, according to the texts on the (possibly mythical) Asa-temple in Uppsala, it had three major idols in it (Oden/Odin, Tor/Thor, and Frej/Frey).

If you take the time, you'll be able to come up with dozens and dozens of threes (and probably quite a number of sevens and twelves as well).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  20:28:29  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's because historically and mythically, three has always held much power. I think it's because it shows up time and time again, it's easy to use three (and multiples there of) in a lot of lore. Look at the gods of Krynn (3 main ones). Heck, look at Christianity.

Anyway, three pops up all the time - same as that pesky seven!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  21:09:02  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

[quote]
Who would remind folks that one other mark might come onto things--the flower of whatever saint's abbey/cloister the item came from.....and then he realizes he only set up libraries and such, not forges in Ilmater's name, and thus he should fix that soon.......over in his group

Posted something to this topic in the above-mentioned thread.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  21:34:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>You know..I kinda just realized something. Three is a very >>powerful number in the realms.

Don't forget "the threesome", a dream held by all young dalesmen that they'd like to experience <g>.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  23:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>You know..I kinda just realized something. Three is a very >>powerful number in the realms.

Don't forget "the threesome", a dream held by all young dalesmen that they'd like to experience <g>.

Ah, shared by many, but not by I. More of a "Give attention to one" fellow my self.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  23:06:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maiden/Mother/Crone. :)

Also Planescape loved the rule of threes and it's all over the place in the Planecape lore. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  00:52:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, those of the Triad either use that amalgamated symbol (and only those who've been part of this since the reunification of Tethyr--the new symbol being requested by the Crown Ecclesiastic to be used with a stained glass window in Faerntarn) or all three symbols stamped onto an item like runes.
Alternatively, for the amalgameted symbol, we could have a representation that evokes each of the three principles of the Triad more specifically... each held in respective power to Tyr as its head. For example, the metal gauntlet of Torm could grip the warhammer of Tyr's symbol -- representing the need to pursue "dutiful justice", while the balanced set of scales could be held by the bounded wrists of Ilmater's symbol which in turn reflects the need for perserverance in the face of pursuing balanced justice for all.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  13:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Alternatively, for the amalgameted symbol, we could have a representation that evokes each of the three principles of the Triad more specifically... each held in respective power to Tyr as its head. For example, the metal gauntlet of Torm could grip the warhammer of Tyr's symbol -- representing the need to pursue "dutiful justice", while the balanced set of scales could be held by the bounded wrists of Ilmater's symbol which in turn reflects the need for perserverance in the face of pursuing balanced justice for all.

I like that too. Maybe that's something used specifically at Triad temples and is currently a potential schism point as artisans and the faithful jockey to see which unified symbol becomes the norm.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  14:38:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, you're saying their could be a religious feud between the clery and the faithful and the artisans? I think if they faithful were devout enough to one of the triad, they would always want their symbol on top. That seems to be human nature.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  02:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

So, you're saying their could be a religious feud between the clery and the faithful and the artisans? I think if they faithful were devout enough to one of the triad, they would always want their symbol on top. That seems to be human nature.

C-Fb

Which might be a reason to generate a circular symbol that is mounted on a wheel, so whoever is the ranking priest in charge at that moment can turn his god's marker highest? Works for me....

SES

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  02:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say Tyr's symbol should always be on top since he is the "Greater" deity and is the "leader" of the three gods.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  03:13:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would say Tyr's symbol should always be on top since he is the "Greater" deity and is the "leader" of the three gods.

Which was what I was getting at earlier with my own suggestion. It reflects how both duty - Torm - and perserverance - Ilmater - are crucial aspects to the pursuit and application of even-handed justice - Tyr.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Nov 2005 03:14:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000