Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Temporary measures regarding Forum Access

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 12:24:14
Well met

Some may have noticed that thou art forced to log in prior to viewing the forums. This is a temporary measure in place whilst investigations are underway to eliminate the recent forum downtime problems. It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes (apologies for the silly internet jargon).

I will remove this in due course. Apologies for the inconvenience caused
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Khaa Posted - 08 Dec 2005 : 13:14:06
Why ever would anyone want to bring down Candlekeep?!
Alaundo Posted - 08 Dec 2005 : 00:05:07
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Some may have noticed that thou art forced to log in prior to viewing the forums. This is a temporary measure in place whilst investigations are underway to eliminate the recent forum downtime problems. It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes (apologies for the silly internet jargon).

This means that the recent problems here have been caused by the users?

Well met

Not at all, Thelonius. 'tis simply one particular search engine\indexing site that is the culprit.
Thelonius Posted - 07 Dec 2005 : 22:08:49
quote:

Well met

This means that the recent problems here have been caused by the users?
warlockco Posted - 07 Dec 2005 : 02:48:53
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Come to think of it, the spiders that well meaning archivers over on the WotC boards have programmed to look within the WotC forums may have been intended to stick solely to those forums over there. However, if as you say, they are clicking on every link they find, then that may be redirecting those spiders over here. As I believe several posters over there have links to Candlekeep in their sigs and in numerous posts around the boards.

Makes perfect sense, I don't have Candlekeep in my sig, but I have posted it a fair bit, and I do know several people do have it in their sig.

Will need to rememdy that once these spiders are gone
Gray Richardson Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 10:27:09
Come to think of it, the spiders that well meaning archivers over on the WotC boards have programmed to look within the WotC forums may have been intended to stick solely to those forums over there. However, if as you say, they are clicking on every link they find, then that may be redirecting those spiders over here. As I believe several posters over there have links to Candlekeep in their sigs and in numerous posts around the boards.
Alaundo Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 08:32:43
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Hmm, I know it would be "unfriendly" but how about making people register to even look at the site, so no more guest browsing, thus hopefully making it harder for spiders to get in.

Well met

Indeed, Dargoth. This is what I have put in place yesterday as a temporary measure. If thou art already signed in, then no problem, otherwise ye will either have to sign in or register before viewing the forum. I stress that this is only in place until the spiders are purged, however.
warlockco Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 02:06:37
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

God Dargoth, that was so bad a pun that no icon could do it justice!

-- George Krashos

Sorry couldnt resist Alaundo just left himself wide open to it!

A guy over on the Wizards forums has the following as his sig

"Use the World Wide Web not the Demon Web, Lolth has terrible Bandwidth problems!"

Nice

Hmm, I know it would be "unfriendly" but how about making people register to even look at the site, so no more guest browsing, thus hopefully making it harder for spiders to get in.
Dargoth Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 01:16:39
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Sorry couldnt resist Alaundo just left himself wide open to it!

A guy over on the Wizards forums has the following as his sig

"Use the World Wide Web not the Demon Web, Lolth has terrible Bandwidth problems!"
George Krashos Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 01:10:09

-- George Krashos
Dargoth Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 00:30:36
quote:

Well met

We're not out of the woods yet,

Would that be the Spiderhaunt woods Alaundo?
The Sage Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 00:23:24
We're with you Big Al...

It might even be time to consider hiring a mercenrary company to deal with the continued threat of these Lolth-spawned spiders. What say you?
Alaundo Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 23:35:39
Well met

I will remove the forced login once the spiders which are currently in the system have been removed and this IP range blocked at a higher level on the web server. Until then, I'd prefer to leave them blocked where they are. They may be in the corridors, but they can't get to the chambers of tomes this way. We're not out of the woods yet, but every little bit helps, so please bear with me.
warlockco Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 20:42:50
quote:

Well met

Thank ye, Kentinal, very well summed up

I will be blocking certain ranges of IP addresses during today, in an attempt to eliminate the spiders currently running amok through the corridors of Candlekeep. If anyone sees a stray one, stamp on it (ensure that there are no followers of Lloth in the vacinity, however )

Can I use fire instead?
I don't even want to get close enough to a spider to stomp on it.
I'll make sure not to burn anything that we don't have a copy of.
Alaundo Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 19:03:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hey, whatever works to provide me my Candlekeep fix -- I couldn't access the forums at all, yesterday!

Well met

'twas all part of my master plan, Furry Friend, to ensure thy Realmslore tasks due within the next day or two weren't interrupted
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 17:13:16
Hey, whatever works to provide me my Candlekeep fix -- I couldn't access the forums at all, yesterday!
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 15:05:33
Woohoo! Here's to keeping Candlekeep up for the rest of time!

I don't know what possesses people to purposely try to crash something that people work so hard to create. That has always just confused me. Oh well.

C-Fb
Alaundo Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 14:39:14
Well met

Thank ye, Kentinal, very well summed up

I will be blocking certain ranges of IP addresses during today, in an attempt to eliminate the spiders currently running amok through the corridors of Candlekeep. If anyone sees a stray one, stamp on it (ensure that there are no followers of Lloth in the vacinity, however )
Kentinal Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 14:12:58
quote:
Originally posted by RedStrike

quote:

Well met

It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes

Excuse me, would someone kindly define what is meant by the mentioned terms such as rogue "guest" accounts, "spiders" and "robots"?

Guest attoucts are people just reading the fotums without being a member. The forum stalls when too many are reading it, too much data being called for then server can provide.

Spider is a program that gathers data, achieving data. Every time the detect a link they open that link as well to archive what is found at that link as well.

Robots refer to programs that once started do not need to have any human/operator instuctions. It just keeps operating until it achieves its set task. Which might be to archive every thing on this website.

Google runs a spider robot to gather data for its search engine for example.
RedStrike Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 13:59:30
quote:

Well met

It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes

Excuse me, would someone kindly define what is meant by the mentioned terms such as rogue "guest" accounts, "spiders" and "robots"?
The Sage Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 13:55:07
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Could some spiders programmed with similar search terms be combing these boards as well? If so then maybe the problem will go away in a day or so when WotC finishes their culling.
That could be a distinct possibility Gray.

Personally, I don't like spider programs... as they have a tendency to cause aberrations in older software -- and from what Alaundo's been telling me about the forum software here at Candlekeep -- it would be a prime candidate.

I'm hoping that the system I've been discussing with Big Al will prevent such faults in the future once it is integrated into the core prog here.
Gray Richardson Posted - 05 Dec 2005 : 13:49:18
Hmmm... maybe this has to do with the impending pruning of the WotC boards. People over there are talking about running spiders to try and archive as many posts as they can before WotC deletes all the old posts.

Could some spiders programmed with similar search terms be combing these boards as well? If so then maybe the problem will go away in a day or so when WotC finishes their culling.

Just a theory.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000