Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Temporary measures regarding Forum Access
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  12:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Some may have noticed that thou art forced to log in prior to viewing the forums. This is a temporary measure in place whilst investigations are underway to eliminate the recent forum downtime problems. It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes (apologies for the silly internet jargon).

I will remove this in due course. Apologies for the inconvenience caused

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  13:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... maybe this has to do with the impending pruning of the WotC boards. People over there are talking about running spiders to try and archive as many posts as they can before WotC deletes all the old posts.

Could some spiders programmed with similar search terms be combing these boards as well? If so then maybe the problem will go away in a day or so when WotC finishes their culling.

Just a theory.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  13:55:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Could some spiders programmed with similar search terms be combing these boards as well? If so then maybe the problem will go away in a day or so when WotC finishes their culling.
That could be a distinct possibility Gray.

Personally, I don't like spider programs... as they have a tendency to cause aberrations in older software -- and from what Alaundo's been telling me about the forum software here at Candlekeep -- it would be a prime candidate.

I'm hoping that the system I've been discussing with Big Al will prevent such faults in the future once it is integrated into the core prog here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Dec 2005 13:56:13
Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  13:59:30  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes

Excuse me, would someone kindly define what is meant by the mentioned terms such as rogue "guest" accounts, "spiders" and "robots"?

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  14:12:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedStrike

quote:

Well met

It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes

Excuse me, would someone kindly define what is meant by the mentioned terms such as rogue "guest" accounts, "spiders" and "robots"?

Guest attoucts are people just reading the fotums without being a member. The forum stalls when too many are reading it, too much data being called for then server can provide.

Spider is a program that gathers data, achieving data. Every time the detect a link they open that link as well to archive what is found at that link as well.

Robots refer to programs that once started do not need to have any human/operator instuctions. It just keeps operating until it achieves its set task. Which might be to archive every thing on this website.

Google runs a spider robot to gather data for its search engine for example.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  14:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye, Kentinal, very well summed up

I will be blocking certain ranges of IP addresses during today, in an attempt to eliminate the spiders currently running amok through the corridors of Candlekeep. If anyone sees a stray one, stamp on it (ensure that there are no followers of Lloth in the vacinity, however )

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:05:33  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woohoo! Here's to keeping Candlekeep up for the rest of time!

I don't know what possesses people to purposely try to crash something that people work so hard to create. That has always just confused me. Oh well.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  17:13:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, whatever works to provide me my Candlekeep fix -- I couldn't access the forums at all, yesterday!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Dec 2005 17:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  19:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hey, whatever works to provide me my Candlekeep fix -- I couldn't access the forums at all, yesterday!

Well met

'twas all part of my master plan, Furry Friend, to ensure thy Realmslore tasks due within the next day or two weren't interrupted

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  20:42:50  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Thank ye, Kentinal, very well summed up

I will be blocking certain ranges of IP addresses during today, in an attempt to eliminate the spiders currently running amok through the corridors of Candlekeep. If anyone sees a stray one, stamp on it (ensure that there are no followers of Lloth in the vacinity, however )

Can I use fire instead?
I don't even want to get close enough to a spider to stomp on it.
I'll make sure not to burn anything that we don't have a copy of.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  23:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I will remove the forced login once the spiders which are currently in the system have been removed and this IP range blocked at a higher level on the web server. Until then, I'd prefer to leave them blocked where they are. They may be in the corridors, but they can't get to the chambers of tomes this way. We're not out of the woods yet, but every little bit helps, so please bear with me.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  00:23:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're with you Big Al...

It might even be time to consider hiring a mercenrary company to deal with the continued threat of these Lolth-spawned spiders. What say you?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  00:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

We're not out of the woods yet,

Would that be the Spiderhaunt woods Alaundo?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  01:10:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God Dargoth, that was so bad a pun that no icon could do it justice!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  01:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Sorry couldnt resist Alaundo just left himself wide open to it!

A guy over on the Wizards forums has the following as his sig

"Use the World Wide Web not the Demon Web, Lolth has terrible Bandwidth problems!"

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 06 Dec 2005 01:17:13
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  02:06:37  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Sorry couldnt resist Alaundo just left himself wide open to it!

A guy over on the Wizards forums has the following as his sig

"Use the World Wide Web not the Demon Web, Lolth has terrible Bandwidth problems!"

Nice

Hmm, I know it would be "unfriendly" but how about making people register to even look at the site, so no more guest browsing, thus hopefully making it harder for spiders to get in.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  08:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Hmm, I know it would be "unfriendly" but how about making people register to even look at the site, so no more guest browsing, thus hopefully making it harder for spiders to get in.

Well met

Indeed, Dargoth. This is what I have put in place yesterday as a temporary measure. If thou art already signed in, then no problem, otherwise ye will either have to sign in or register before viewing the forum. I stress that this is only in place until the spiders are purged, however.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  10:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, the spiders that well meaning archivers over on the WotC boards have programmed to look within the WotC forums may have been intended to stick solely to those forums over there. However, if as you say, they are clicking on every link they find, then that may be redirecting those spiders over here. As I believe several posters over there have links to Candlekeep in their sigs and in numerous posts around the boards.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  02:48:53  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Come to think of it, the spiders that well meaning archivers over on the WotC boards have programmed to look within the WotC forums may have been intended to stick solely to those forums over there. However, if as you say, they are clicking on every link they find, then that may be redirecting those spiders over here. As I believe several posters over there have links to Candlekeep in their sigs and in numerous posts around the boards.

Makes perfect sense, I don't have Candlekeep in my sig, but I have posted it a fair bit, and I do know several people do have it in their sig.

Will need to rememdy that once these spiders are gone

News of the Weird

Edited by - warlockco on 07 Dec 2005 02:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:08:49  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Some may have noticed that thou art forced to log in prior to viewing the forums. This is a temporary measure in place whilst investigations are underway to eliminate the recent forum downtime problems. It appears as though rogue "guest" accounts are causing database deadlocks, likely caused by "spiders", "robots" and the likes (apologies for the silly internet jargon).

This means that the recent problems here have been caused by the users?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  00:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

quote:

Well met

This means that the recent problems here have been caused by the users?

Well met

Not at all, Thelonius. 'tis simply one particular search engine\indexing site that is the culprit.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  13:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why ever would anyone want to bring down Candlekeep?!

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000