Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which is your favorite deity?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sushisauce Posted - 16 Feb 2003 : 05:20:11
In D&D or FR who is your favorite diety?
AND why
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Talanfir Swiftfeet Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 15:35:03
quote:
Originally posted by TheRedBard

Sune is my personal fav by far, as my latest thread discussed, nothing petty about love whatsoever.

I agree. Most of the books make Sune and her clergy look too whimsical and petty. I think she was best interperted in "Heirs of Prophecy" where the half-elf Larajin was a cleric of both Sune and Hanali Celanil.

My favorite deity is Finder Wyvernspur and Brandobaris as a close second. Those books about Finder just made me love his personality. I also like that he has that "renewal of nature by rot" thing (does he have any druids?) as well as the art portfolio.
TheRedBard Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 05:42:26
Sune is my personal fav by far, as my latest thread discussed, nothing petty about love whatsoever.
Firhyanda Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 00:03:42
Greetings

Siamorphe god of nobles in waterdeep great fun.
The Blue Sorceress Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 23:15:29
Lathander is my favorite FR deity. Cheerful, optimistic and enthusiatic pretty much describe me.

-Blue
Vainelus Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 19:57:16
Favorite deity

I would have to say that I have always been a fan of Mystra, Torm, and Mielikki.

Although currently I am running a campaign based around the Knights of the Blue Moon and I am beginning to grow fond of Selune.
Lord Nemes Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 00:38:58
My favorites are Bane and Mask, you can add Bhaal and Myrkul, I usualy have a plot or two with them in background (Crown of Horn or folower trying to bring them back...)

On the side of good I go with Tymora
khorne Posted - 13 Mar 2006 : 10:43:24
Hoar is close to me, but my all-time favorite is the vigilant one, Helm.
Horatio Posted - 12 Mar 2006 : 00:49:24
By order:

Ilmater, Kelemvor, Lathander, Tempus

I love Ilmater because my first character in a FR settings was a benevolent priestess of Ilmater everyone liked, and it was very rewarding to play a character everyone likes.

I like Kelemvor because I get to brood a lot, and play the gravedigger!

I like Lathander because you get to be cheery and inspiring. It's a very characteristic class.

I like Tempus because you get to be very contentious.

Well, enough of my rambling!
EytanBernstein Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 08:39:26
My favorites for most of my FR experience have been the evil gods Malar, Mask, Moander, Gargauth, and recently Tiamat. I am also fond of some of the lesser known demihuman deities such as Solonor Thelandira and Baravar Cloakshadow.
Mr. Wilson Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 06:51:12
I've always been partial to Oghma and Hoar. Knowledge for knowledge's sake, and Poetic Justice, great portfolios.
scererar Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 05:30:47
Tymora and Tyr. Tymora after meeting Rathan and his sidekick Torm, or is it the other way around... anyways, it has always interested me. check out the temple in shadowdale. Additionally, I became interested in Tyr after the pools trilogy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 04:26:51
Wow... This topic predates me coming over here. Looking back over the posts on this thread, I see some familiar faces, but also a lot of scribes that don't come in as frequently any more...

Anyway, my fave Realms deity is Lurue. Why? Well...

The whole point of a patron deity is that you follow the one who most closely matches your own nature. Lurue is whimsical, and that -- even more than mischief -- is one thing that marks me.

Here's what the Powers and Pantheons says:

"The Queen of Talking Beasts and Intelligent Creatures is often taken with wanderlust. She can be whimsical but is infinitely loyal once she takes someone into her trust, and she never abandons her worshippers in times of need. When faced with no other option that combat, Lurue is a dedicated and intractable foe, but she prefers light banter, clever riddles, new discoveries, and the joyous exploration of life.

The Unicorn is a symbol of hope, joy, salvation, and protection for the needy, forlorn, and forsaken. Life is to be relished and lived with laughter. Quests are to be taken on a dare and gifts are to be made on a whim. Impossible dreams are to be pursued for the sheer wonder of the possibility of their completion. Everyone, no matter how unique, is to be praised for their strengths and comforted in their weaknesses. Evil melts most quickly in the face of a rapier wit and unshackled joy. Search for the unicorn and in the pursuit find happiness.

Many of Lurue's clergy are adventurers who travel about the Realms seeking wrongs to right and finding a good balance of merriment, new experiences, and self-improvement in such a profession.
"

Much of what is written about Lurue is how I live.

Plus, the city of Silverymoon was named after her, and that's one of my fave places in the Realms. Her affiliated order, the Order of the Unicorn, was founded by the Knights of the Unicorn, "a romantic, whimsical group of high-born adventurers" -- and you know that's a group I'd be part of!

All of that makes her be the deity for me!
TonyMontana1638 Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 03:08:42
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I think you misunderstand. I do not mistake Sune for anything other than the Goddess of Physical beauty! With beauty and red hair, I wouldn't care WHAT she was the goddess of.
and what better girlfriend to have then A paladin of SUNE!!!!

Amen brother, amen!

My personal favorites would be Mystra, Selune or Mielikki. If an elf I'd definitely go with Sehanin moonbow though. I'm sure many can see the pattern here.
The Sage Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 02:42:17
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Don't hear much about Bhaal though. Anybody got the lowdown on him.

He's dead, Jim.

You can find plenty of info on him in the 2E book Faiths & Avatars.

There's a update for the supposed remnants of the clergy of Bhaal in DRAGON #322 as part of the "Deathstalker" PrC.

But that's pretty much it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 02:09:24
quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Don't hear much about Bhaal though. Anybody got the lowdown on him.

He's dead, Jim.

You can find plenty of info on him in the 2E book Faiths & Avatars.
Scot Storm Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 01:23:36
Well I thought I'd delve back into the scrolls and found this one to be interesting. My favorite is Bane the black hand of Faerun. I've always been fascinated by evil gods that plot to take over the realms. Don't hear much about Bhaal though. Anybody got the lowdown on him.
Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Apr 2003 : 16:18:07
Well, I don't have my own copies of the books . . . I was just working off the top of my head. Though I was just refreshed on that front by the fact that I just found out that I own the comic book version of Shadowdale.

I hadn't known this before; I'd picked it up in a big ol' comic book sale ($30 for all you can put in a particualr sized box), saw the TSR logo, and stuffed it in so I could get back to hunting before all the good stuff was gone. It just says "Avatar #1" on it. No Forgotten Realms or Dungeons & Dragons; just TSR to connect it. I just found it again and when I pulled it out of the plastic sheath I realized what it was.

A year and a half since I got it, and I only just figured it out . . . .
zemd Posted - 13 Apr 2003 : 14:34:10
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

He wasn't afraid of killing -- he made his living as a warrior, after all -- but of doing it with out purpose and without memory.

I think he was more afraid to kill an innocent than kill someone without memory. Once he killed a Zhentilar so he didn't feel any remorse
Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Apr 2003 : 12:58:58
Yeah, Kelemvor was someone you could really identify with . . . he had that huge mercenary attitude at the start, but it never seemed quite right to me. He seemed so pushy about a "reward" -- not payment, but a reward. That seemed suspicious to me.

In reality, he was scared of the indescriminent killing he would be forced to do if he did something for free. He wasn't afraid of killing -- he made his living as a warrior, after all -- but of doing it with out purpose and without memory. And it wasn't even his fault -- it was a messed-up, backfired curse that flipped when his ancestor passed it on to his son.

Now there's a hard life. No matter how much you want to, you can't do something for nothing. You can never give anyone a gift for no other reason than the fact that you like that person. If you do, you loose control and kill someone. Scary.
Targon Moonrise Posted - 13 Apr 2003 : 02:13:26
To me, he didn't seem a whiner but a non-stop talker. Adon was an awesome character and out of the four, he was my second favorite other behind Kelemvor.
Mournblade Posted - 13 Apr 2003 : 00:39:22
That was a very good point Zemd. It probably wasn't his point of view.

He is the High Patriarch of Mystra so that is a pretty good position to be in.

But he is STILL a whiner.

zemd Posted - 13 Apr 2003 : 00:28:11
I don't think it's his point of view, after all at the end of the trilogy he doesn't think gods deserve be worshiped. Furthermore i think he understands that Cyric and Kelemvor aren't so much favored (there portfolios aren't the easiest to handle with) and at last, he become the patriarch of Mystra, and when he'll die he know that he'll have a good place near the goddess in her realm
Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 17:54:37
Once again, Mournblade makes points I never thought of. I had pondered on the fact that three people who had adventured together had all become gods in the Realms, but I never once considered it from the point of view of the one guy who got left behind . . . .

That would really suck, I think.
Mournblade Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 17:03:50
Actually your right, Adon DID redeem himslef a bit in Crucible and Prince of Lies. Just imagine this though, you and three of your friends go on a world trip. 3 of your friends become gods. You are still mortal. Adon sure did get SHANKED. Probably because he was such a whiner.

zemd Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 10:19:59
I agree that Adon is very annoying sometimes. But in Prince of Lies and Crucible, IMO he becomes a very interesting character.
And i thought that in faces of deception the main character was a cleric.
Mournblade Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 21:17:15
I do beleive it was BECAUSE Adon had such a low Charisma that he lost contact with Sune. 13 still has a bonus, and that is good enough in MY campaign to play a priest of sune. But Adon, failed as a cleric of sune BECAUSE he was scarred eventually and no longer pretty. In faces of deception, it sounds like the low charisma was a plot device.

Adon really annoyed me in those books. I was really hoping Cyric was going to drown him when they were in the boat.
Bookwyrm Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 12:18:53
Oh. Drats. Another idea blown.

A Charsima of 13 is still good -- it's got a bunus to it, and Adon wasn't stunningly handsome . . . but four or five? Were you talking about the rich guy who's really ugly and wants Sune to "cure" him? Because while I haven't read the book, I don't think he was a cleric.
zemd Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 12:13:29
Adon had only a charisma of 13. And in an Faces of Deception there a CLeric of Sune that should have no more than 4 or 5.
Bookwyrm Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 11:57:30
Well, it was just a spur-of-the-moment thought. After all, you can't rise high in Sune's service without a high Charisma level -- which in this case means good looks. After all, when was the last time you saw an ugly Sunian cleric?
zemd Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 11:50:41
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

As a balancing factor, for 3e I retain the Charisma requirements from 1st edition.

Hey, that's a good idea. For a paladin or cleric of Sune, replace Wisdom with Charisma. That seems more in tune with Sunian philosophy. Remember Adon in Shadowdale?

But it's not in agreement (eng?) with how divine magic work. Intelligence for wizards because they learn, wisdom for divine caster because they need to 'seek the spells in them' ( sorry Hamlet) and Charisa for Sorceror because they feel the magic, it's innate

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000