Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which is your favorite deity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  05:20:11  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In D&D or FR who is your favorite diety?
AND why

Edited by - Alaundo on 10 Mar 2003 15:36:49

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  13:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a follower of Mielikki, so She is the best goddess for me. Why? Well...She represent all I love. Nature, animals, elves...

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  13:49:48  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra!
She can prevent nearly everyone to cast spell. (nearly because Shar created the Shadow Weave). Moreover, i think that she can understand mortals more than a lot of deities because she was mortal.
I also like Tymora and Lathander.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  15:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has been a topic similar to this previously and my answer is the same as before: Shar. Other deities of interest include Cyric and Oghma. Perhaps my favourite god would be a combination of Shar and Oghma even though I am aware that they contadict at certain levels.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake

Edited by - Echon on 16 Feb 2003 15:51:08
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  18:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that's an interesting thought. Shar, who is darkness for the sake of darkness, and Oghma, who is knowledge for the sake of knowledge. I suppose there COULD be an evil counterpart of Oghma as far as his portfolio goes (i.e., dark knowledge), but yes, I'd have to say they contradict each other. In fact, they're almost completely opposite anyway -- I say almost because the true opposite of a god of knowledge (and therefore truth) would be Cyric, god of lies.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  19:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. Shar, who is darkness for the sake of darkness, and Oghma, who is knowledge for the sake of knowledge. I suppose there COULD be an evil counterpart of Oghma as far as his portfolio goes (i.e., dark knowledge), but yes, I'd have to say they contradict each other. In fact, they're almost completely opposite anyway -- I say almost because the true opposite of a god of knowledge (and therefore truth) would be Cyric, god of lies.

I would argue that Shar is as much an opposition to Oghma as Cyric because a part of her portfolio is secrets, the hiding of knowledge. I do not know what is the most opposed to knowledge of these two: lies or non-knowledge.

-Echon

-William Blake

Edited by - Echon on 16 Feb 2003 19:44:32
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  21:14:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're both right, isn't lying similar to the hiding of knowledge?!
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  00:44:24  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil gods of knowledge hoard knowledge and utilize it towards selfish ends. An example would be Diirinka of the Derro or the late Maanzecorian(sic) of the Illithids. Acquiring knowledge and hiding that same knowledge from others would characterize a Shar/Oghma combo. Perhaps if Shar seduced Oghma in the guise of a lover, like morrigan did to King Author...
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  00:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I believe I mentioned in another topic, I think my favorite deity would be Mielikki, simply because I agree with her morals and things like that that have been menioned in the Drizzt books.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  02:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

Perhaps if Shar seduced Oghma in the guise of a lover, like morrigan did to King Author...

Wooo! Wouldn't that cause a stir in the Realms!

Anyway, I think that the true opposite of knowledge would be lies; non-knowledge, as Echon put it, is just the absence of knowledge. Lies, on the other hand, are attempts at missinformation. I could be wrong (not having read any moduals, I'm not exactly as up to date on Realms matters as some of my fellow scribes), but I believe that Shar doesn't attempt to spread lies and counter-truths. Cyric, however, tries to do two dozen acts of such before breakfast. (Cyriad, anyone?)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  14:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I favor Silvanus, Oghma, and Torm. But the topic title says which is best, I don't think any deity is the 'best' its just the matter of good and evil.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  19:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drummer Boy

Well, as I believe I mentioned in another topic, I think my favorite deity would be Mielikki, simply because I agree with her morals and things like that that have been menioned in the Drizzt books.

I think we'll become very good friends Drummer Boy.
May She always be with you...

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  20:03:27  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oghma is my favorite diety.. who knows better than him?
Go to Top of Page

Elminster
Acolyte

South Africa
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  06:42:31  Show Profile  Visit Elminster's Homepage Send Elminster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As my chosen character is...well me i would say Mystra

but i also like Torm

Enter no conflict against no fanatics unless you can defuse them. Oppose a religion with another religion only if your proofs (miracles) are irrefutable or if you can mesh in a way that the fanatics accept you as God-inspired. This has long been the barrier to science assuming a mantle of divine revelation. Science is so obviously man-made. Fanatics (and many are fanatic about one thing or another) must know where you stand, but more importantly, must recognise who whispers in your ear.
*Missionera Protectiva - Primray Teaching
Go to Top of Page

Jerock
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  18:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Jerock's Homepage Send Jerock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Favorite Diety

Well that is a hard one to answer but if giving only one choice i must say Lady Mystra..

Jerock....
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  20:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
Anyway, I think that the true opposite of knowledge would be lies; non-knowledge, as Echon put it, is just the absence of knowledge. Lies, on the other hand, are attempts at missinformation. I could be wrong (not having read any moduals, I'm not exactly as up to date on Realms matters as some of my fellow scribes), but I believe that Shar doesn't attempt to spread lies and counter-truths. Cyric, however, tries to do two dozen acts of such before breakfast. (Cyriad, anyone?)

That is quite a good point, I must admit. However, my argument is that knowledge does not necesarily entail truth. Lies can be knowledge as well, simply false knowledge, but does not mean that you do not know anything at all if what you know is a lie. Thus I hold that the absence, the hiding of knowledge, is the opposition of knowledge.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  05:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorites dieties are Silvanus, Mielikki, Lathander, and almost any elven god/dess I didn't mention. (there's a lot.) except the evil ones...I don't do evil.... anything from true neutral all the way up to Lawful good. Lol. I'm such a goody goody....

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  04:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say Helm, Mystra and Lord Ao. Ao could be called a god, I think.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

MidNight
Acolyte

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  15:18:59  Show Profile  Visit MidNight's Homepage Send MidNight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite deity is absolutely Mystra. Not only is the weave extremely marvellous, she herself is, too.
Like zemd said, she is the Goddess closest to the mortal realm. She's the one who of all things care about mortals. Now, sometimes that's also her weakness. Because she worries about the mortals of Faerun so much, she looses hold on what may be more important for Faerun. Thus, some decisions she made didn't work out that well because of this. But on the other hand: this makes her Mystra, this is really who she is, what she stands for. And I think it's great.
Magic has always fascinated me and how Mystra powers the weave..That in itself is the synonym for beauty. Magic is an art.

At least, this is my humble opinion

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will. True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips is actual performance. Magic is an Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged it the extreme. Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic.
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  14:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  14:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranaghar Tsaran

quote:
Originally posted by Drummer Boy

I think we'll become very good friends Drummer Boy.
May She always be with you...

Yes, perhaps we will. May She always be with you as well.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:20:46  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally Mystra is my favorite. In concept at least...

I think magic is the thing that makes the realms truly unique and wonderful. She IS the Mistress Of The Weave after all...

However I suppose it bears asking, favorite for what? If you were to be stranded on a desert Isle with a diety the choice might be different. Or if you might have to rely on them for something you would want someone you could trust...and so on.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis
I think magic is the thing that makes the realms truly unique and wonderful.

That does not seperate the Forgotten Realms from any other campaign setting.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:34:50  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Echon

quote:
Originally posted by Artalis
I think magic is the thing that makes the realms truly unique and wonderful.

That does not seperate the Forgotten Realms from any other campaign setting.

-Echon

True enough I suppose, but I didn't see a need to.

The feel of magic in the Realms is different than in other campaign settings. I like FR magic the best out of Middle Earth,Dragonlance or any of the others I have played in. When I say it makes the Realms unique and special I refer to that feeling. Magic is what I like best about FR and D&D in general, so I suppose it follows that I would pick the Goddess of Magic as my favorite.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:54:08  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra is also a more 'human' goddess (i agree at the beginning of her existence she was a little bit cold in my opinion). I feel close to her, more than any other deity. Futhermore, Midnight is my favorite character so...
And the way magic acts is less that's-the-way-it-works-and-that's-all than other stteings. Thanx to Mystra.

Futhermore, we can't speak of Mystra without Shar. Even if i love Mystra, i also like Shar which gives a counter power (can you understand?) that is quite fun
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  21:37:10  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Shar's style, but I've always been puzzled by the appeal of her dogma of hopelessnes and the pursuit of non-awareness. I can understand the appeal of most other evil gods, but that's just too far removed from any aspect of my personality for me to understand.
Go to Top of Page

Edial
Acolyte

Romania
16 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  07:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Edial's Homepage Send Edial a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i will always be a silverstar of the goddess selune because she is what/how she is...
also her dislike for bigotry is appealing to one such as i.

Edial Lyonson, proud Silverstar of Selune.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  22:04:29  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selune.

Moon goddesses are cool.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  22:06:25  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

Selune.

Moon goddesses are cool.

That's what i call a short answer, can you more ... err precise?
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  23:33:31  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zemd:

quote:
That's what i call a short answer, can you more ... err precise?

Moonlight on a night with a full moon is quite enjoyable.

Moon goddesses are often associated with mysterious stuff (sometimes magic), and maybe a bit of "darkness", but I don't think the moon is usually associated with evil, in western Eurpoean mythology anyway. The moon and moon goddesses seem more multidimensional than other deities.

Athena was always my favorite Greek deity when I read Greek myths in my younger days, but Artemis was a close second. There were never enough stories about her.

If there were a FR deity I considered as Athena-like as Selune is Artemis-like, that one would probably be my favorite FR deity. Tempus is no Athena, though. He's probably an OK Ares.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 01 Apr 2003 01:32:48
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  23:42:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never liked Ares. Hephestius was actually my favorite. He was the guy who made all the Cool Gear.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000