Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Star Elves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 06 Jun 2003 : 12:46:51
I think the Star Elves are a fascinating addition to the world of FR. Also, this extraplanar realm - Sildeyuir - that is their refuge from the Realms is very interesting, and has a lot of potential for campaign usage. I think it would be interesting, as well as fun, to hypothesize about where the Star Elves originally came from, since, although they are not outsiders, they are not native to Faerun.

What are your ideas on all of this?.

- May your learning be free and unfettered

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:48:59
I'll send you an email with the address for the release to download when the specially created website goes online soon. I have to send Bookwyrm a copy of that address as well.

Oh, and congratulations on your promotion zemd. However I hear the distant echo of Alaundo's footsteps, so you better prepare yourself for the extra amount of work he assigns all his Senior Scribes here at Candlekeep ...Not that I am complaining of course, wise Alaundo...everythings good, everythings fine...I doing my job heh heh

zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:42:29
And do you know where i can get one copy? And where did you get the info?
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:40:50
If you want to wait a few more weeks, 3e/3.5e Planescape will be released shortly. And the good thing about it is (apart from the fact that it is Planescape of course), it's free .

zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:33:05
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

'PS = Planescape', a now discontinued (at least officially) campaign setting that was published by TSR.

! But i love Planescape. I don't know much of it (from Planescape Torment) but i planned to buy the 2E module to read more
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 07:28:12
I felt it was handled much better, and explained with more believable circumstances (at least to an extent) than the other said 'race'. But then, it is all a matter of perspective really, and how much time you have spent playing in the Realms of course.

SiriusBlack Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 06:13:42
quote:
But one of the great things about the Realms, is that it is conceivable to believe that such a race as this has gone unnoticed for most of the recent period of Realms history, so I think that the incorporation of the Star Elves, was quite well explained and achieved.

Your feeling of quite well explained and achieved left this reader with a feeling of rehashed ideas. I mean a long lost race suddenly reappears....gee, where have 3rd edition FR gamers seen that before....
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 01:35:49
Okay firstly -

Lazarus said -
quote:
Will someone please tell me where i can find information/stories about the Realms Star Elves? Particualarly, when did they come out? A copyright date date would be most helpful. Thanks.
Sadly there are no officially published stories on Star Elves yet. As for information, the 3e sourcebook Unapproachable East is the only primary source of information on Star Elves at the moment.

Mournblade said -
quote:
A group of players has been ignoring hooks for the last 10 months about this enemy empire. So since the players were ignoring the hooks they could not stop the buil up of the army. There fore this weekend, our home of avalon has been conquered and destroyed.

I can well imagine what those players must have felt like. Why though, were the players ignoring the hooks?.

stoltzVI said -
quote:
If there is any prior mention of them in any 1st or 2nd edition material i will withdraw most of my attitude towards them, but i`ve yet to hear of any such thing being mentioned.
To date, there has been little said of this race actually existing in 1e or 2e, at least to an extent. But one of the great things about the Realms, is that it is conceivable to believe that such a race as this has gone unnoticed for most of the recent period of Realms history, so I think that the incorporation of the Star Elves, was quite well explained and achieved.

stoltzVI Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 22:47:17
yay, the star elves, figured i`d join in with my 0.50 NOK about them.

At first i thought "another friggin elf race?! and i still have some of that attitude. Basically, to me, it looks as an easy way to get another bonus into the elf-race. Sort of like "for the people who want to play an elven-cha-spellcaster we now have this flavour of the month elf!" What`s next, planeshifting in from a forgotten past comes the WISE-elves! (as sage of perth mentioned in his post earlier, when two of his players chose them, they BOTH went after the Cha-based spellcasting classes! That they chose to do that is cool with me though, don`t get the wrong idea)
Sooooo, where was i. Yeah, the star elves. As I haven`t read the write-up on them in UE I don`t really know too much about them, and I`ll probably love to have one or two of them played in a campaign of mine at some point, but i just get some sort of bad taste in my mouth when I wonder if it`s official wizards policy to add a new (as in all-new-and-crunchy) race to FR every few months.

If there is any prior mention of them in any 1st or 2nd edition material i will withdraw most of my attitude towards them, but i`ve yet to hear of any such thing being mentioned.
Mournblade Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 22:39:47
I was just reading George's post of the recent changes in the realms being in your face. Well at the Larp this weekend we got IN YOUR FACE. A group of players has been ignoring hooks for the last 10 months about this enemy empire. So since the players were ignoring the hooks they could not stop the buil up of the army. There fore this weekend, our home of avalon has been conquered and destroyed.

OO BOY!

Lazarus Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 19:50:17

Will someone please tell me where i can find information/stories about the Realms Star Elves? Particualarly, when did they come out? A copyright date date would be most helpful. Thanks.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 10:51:31
'PS = Planescape', a now discontinued (at least officially) campaign setting that was published by TSR.

zemd Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 10:38:28
Er... what's PS?
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 10:18:54
It really all depends which DM is running your FR campaign. As you know my FR campaign has plenty of PS influence, and with the addition to FR of the Star Elves, that influence has become much easier to incorporate.

Also, you may find this link interesting, due to it's planar theme.

As for the ezine, I am sending the 'site for download' link now, just click on it, and it should start the download immediately.

Bookwyrm Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 10:08:11
Certainly. That other one whet my appetite.

Too bad the Realms doesn't have more of this stuff in it.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 10:04:34
It is not so much as working on it. Many other notable and well-known Planescape fans (known at least in the general Planescape online community) have been hard at work on the actual setting. I (along with many other Planescape players) simply have provided ideas, some notes, and a few articles every now and then.

Actually if you are interested, I can send you (by ethereal mail) a general Planescape community production just recently released. It is a free ezine (mostly fluff) that serves as a great jumping off point for new players to the upcoming Planescape 3e.

Bookwyrm Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 09:33:50
Okay, that clears it up.

(And I should have known you'd be one of the people working on the 3e PS project; I just hadn't thought about it . . . )
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 09:25:41
WHOOPS !!!.

That should have been 'Sigil's Entropist Guild operating out of Waterdeep'.

And as for the 'Order of the Dead' PrC, it was a class kit from 2e Planescape that some of the creators of 3e PS thought about converting and putting into the new edition. We spent several days brainstorming on the idea and eventually came up with this PrC.

In some of the preview release material I will soon send to you by ethereal mail, you will see what I am talking about.

Bookwyrm Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 09:12:40
Um . . . a Waterdeep guild operating out of Sigil? Huh? And how can there be a Planescape PrC if the 3e version hasn't come out yet?
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 09:00:46
It is definitely worth it zemd. Two of my players chose Star Elves as PC's a short while after I purchased Unapproachable East. One chose a Bard class, the other a Sorcerer. Judging from their behaviour during role-playing sessions, they both seem to be having a lot of fun. They are both 7th level characters, although the Sorcerer Star Elf PC is about to join Sigil's Entropist Guild based out of Waterdeep in order to fulfill the requirements to gain the 'Order of the Dead' PrC (of the Dustmen faction from Planescape).

zemd Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 08:53:22
Just this new elf race make me want to buy Unapproachable East.
<zemd checks her purse, seeing it a little bit flat she grumbles>
I'll have to make party a little bit less
The Sage Posted - 10 Jun 2003 : 09:53:07
I am searching for your reference Edain. I remember reading that particular reference also, but there is nothing in the official material except what's listed in Races of Faerun. I'll keep checking, I know it is somewhere...

May your learning be free and unfettered

George Krashos Posted - 10 Jun 2003 : 05:04:56
Yep, you are absolutely right Edain. I must confess I only skim read the elves section in RoF, concentrating on Eric's Human stuff. Serves me right!

-- George Krashos
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 09 Jun 2003 : 22:47:01
Not to get all up in your face but refer to page 27 George. Paragraph two under the heading Racial History; "The first elves to arrive were the Sy-tel-quessir (green elves), the Sy-tel-quessir (lythari), and the Aril-tel-quessir (avariel)." The next arrivals were the Ar-tel-quessir (gold elves), Teu-tel-quessir (silver elves), and the Alu-tel-quessir (aquatic elves). However you are correct about the copper elves, they are native to Toril, having been created by the mixing of older elven bloodlines (pg.45 RoF). By the way, a while back I remember coming accross some reference to lythari in established material, but I cannot seem to find the reference right now, so if anyone knows of one, let me know.
George Krashos Posted - 09 Jun 2003 : 05:06:13
As I understand it, Green Elves are indigenous to Faerun. Gold and Moon elves came from Faerie as per Elaine's Evermeet novel, and Copper elves (or Wood elves) have developed over time with the inter-mixing of Green elves and the newcomer elves. At least that's what Races of Faerun seems to be telling me ...

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 15:29:40
Thanks Alaundo, I must have walked straight past the bookcases holding these scrolls. I was too busy reading Alaundo's Guide to All Things Mysterious .

Alaundo Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 14:14:40
Well Met

Ahh, here they are, you may wish to discuss the Shade situation over here and maybe on this scroll too.
The Sage Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 08:07:33
I have to agree with the premise of small and subtle. I think this is what makes FR distinctive among the rest of the campaign settings.

In fact I made every effort to tone down the effects of the return of Shade in my campaign. It wasn't easy, but the reward was that the distinctiveness of the Realms that I mentioned earlier remained intact.

And to answer Edain - Yes, actually I was aware of the fact that Elves are not native to Faerun, and I also believe (having read it somewhere???) that several other races are non-native as well.

Edain Shadowstar Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 05:34:47
I admit, I really did not likr the 'triumphant' return of Shade. Talk about coming in with a bang. Tilverton gone, Cormyr, still reeling from the Ghazneth Crisis (you know Azoun and Tanalastra getting killed and most of the Purple Dragons slaughtered), gets smacked around some more. Waterdeep and the North gets frozen into a block of ice, and Evereska one of the last Elven lands on the continent get brought to the edge of destruction, and saved but catch 22 the mythal gets corrupted with Shadow Magic. Real subtle plot hole, I almost missed it, except it was glaringly obvious. All I can say is overkill; I mean literally Troy Denning has killed too many people in his books. Way too many. But, we're talking about Star Elves, aren't we?

I agree with Sage when he calls them a "fascinating addition to the world of FR". They definately add a new flavor to the Eastern Realms. Also, just so everyone is clear, the Star Elves aren't the only Elves who aren't native to Toril. All Elves are plane-hoppers, the others have just been here for a while so they aren't as foreign. But they're still not from here (the Realms), originally. If you're looking for source material the most recent is Races of Faerun, although it's been established they're not native to Toril since back in 2e.
Bookwyrm Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 02:29:49
I like small and subtle. I've always thought that that sort of thing was the best part of the Realms -- its focus on smaller areas, not necessarily world-changing in its scope. Notice that everyone's favorite characters are all like that. Most people have never heard of Drizzt, or Arilyn, or Alias. No need to have the ground shake under the weight of fame each time a character takes a step.

(Oh, and for a moment I'd thought you said Tiverton was nuked . . . I used to live there. Tiverton, RI.)
George Krashos Posted - 08 Jun 2003 : 01:55:34
I didn't mind the Shade premise, my problem was with its scope. It smacked of being shoe-horned in to suit the FR novel writers (Troy bows up Faerun again, hurrah!).

When I say scope, I mean the concept of a whole CITY of Netherese with a fully functioning mythallar (which I would argue shouldn't operate in a post-fall of Netheril world of magic ... but that's another debate) coming back to the Realms. I would have preferred some subtlety. In other words, a group (let's say 20-30) citizens of Shade who survive a return to Faerun after the destruction of their city by ... well, the malaugrym spring to mind. That way we could have had the shade aspect brought into FR 3E (and I'm guessing Shade was brought back to give everyone a chance to play a shade template or shadow weave spellcaster etc.) without having the whole climate and geography of Anauroch disrupted, Tilverton nuked (too bad if you had your campaign set there, eh?), and Evereska decimated.

Small and subtle is always easier to incorporate into the Realms than big and in your face. That's my 2 cp at least.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000