Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Star Elves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:46:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think the Star Elves are a fascinating addition to the world of FR. Also, this extraplanar realm - Sildeyuir - that is their refuge from the Realms is very interesting, and has a lot of potential for campaign usage. I think it would be interesting, as well as fun, to hypothesize about where the Star Elves originally came from, since, although they are not outsiders, they are not native to Faerun.

What are your ideas on all of this?.

- May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having not read Unapproachable East, I have no idea what they are. I never heard of them until yesterday, actually. Do you think you could give some information on them?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  13:06:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problems.

They are basically a race of ancient elves who once inhabited the Yuirwood in Aglarond, but when the approaching race of humanity started claiming the lands north of Old Unther, they retreated into a specially crafted demiplane created by the Star Elven High Mages. Called Sildeyuir, the realm was the Elves refuge for two thousand years until it started to be invaded and claimed by a race of alien sorcerers called Nilshai.

Now the Star Elves are returning to the Realms seeking allies to assist them in their war against these creatures and reclaim the lost portions of their demiplane. The entry also states that the Elves are not native to Faerun, but does not give any details as to where they may have come from.

They are alot like standard elves in terms of abilities and characteristics, however they have one special ability unique to the race for been exposed to the demiplane environment. The ability allows them to apply ghost touch to weapons and armor in their possession from sunset to sunrise. However, they are effected by banish, dismissal and similiar effects even though they are not outsiders. They are instead banished to Sildeyuir, which suggests that they are not a native race to Faerun.

I think that is about it.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  13:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find ghost touch in the Spell Compendium. What's it do?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  14:19:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghost Touch isn't a spell. It's an ability.

Here's a description from the SRD

Ghost Touch
A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s
50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to ghost touch weapons.) Further, it can be picked up and moved by incorporeal
creatures at any time. A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon
counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.

Hope that helps,

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  14:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. Okay, I see.

Good thing I found out now -- I had a 'phantom's dagger' on my list to send in to the Shop.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  14:29:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I have never really taken that much notice of this ability, and right now I can see that I regret that. It is an interesting ability, and one that could perhaps have made the Brooch of the Unseen in the Magic Shop all the more useful.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  04:54:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think that the Star Elves are a well thought out addition to the Realms. They have copped some flak due to being another "come back from another plane" change in 3E (Shade being the other), but I think given the isolationism of the Yuir this facet is consistent and no problem.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  06:58:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Their entire basis for isolationism, the way it was described and the way it was handled in the book, has really been well contructed. I am sure it will warrant (I hope), much attention, for use in adventures and accessories in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:13:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that's good. I confess I was worried about that, given the basic dislike for the whole Shade storyline. I haven't read it myself (and how I wish I could blame Alaundo for that, with all the work he's assigned me, but I can't do that . . . ), so I don't have an opinion on it myself.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:42:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to be in the minority for having liked the whole idea of the 'Shade' storyline .

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I seem to be in the minority for having liked the whole idea of the 'Shade' storyline .

Ill stand with you on this one, Sage. Youre not alone Not wanting to get off topic on this, but what is the current situation? Seems to have been left hanging (literally!) after the RotAW trilogy.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:53:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not according to my campaign. I am using them for my Silver Marches campaign. The campaign is still continuing and the amount of information I have created about the whole thing dwarf's my previous amount record set with my Underdark campaign last year.

The offensive the Shades recently launched in the Silver Marches has seen the focus of power shift from the Heartlands, to the North.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jun 2003 10:54:27
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  01:55:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mind the Shade premise, my problem was with its scope. It smacked of being shoe-horned in to suit the FR novel writers (Troy bows up Faerun again, hurrah!).

When I say scope, I mean the concept of a whole CITY of Netherese with a fully functioning mythallar (which I would argue shouldn't operate in a post-fall of Netheril world of magic ... but that's another debate) coming back to the Realms. I would have preferred some subtlety. In other words, a group (let's say 20-30) citizens of Shade who survive a return to Faerun after the destruction of their city by ... well, the malaugrym spring to mind. That way we could have had the shade aspect brought into FR 3E (and I'm guessing Shade was brought back to give everyone a chance to play a shade template or shadow weave spellcaster etc.) without having the whole climate and geography of Anauroch disrupted, Tilverton nuked (too bad if you had your campaign set there, eh?), and Evereska decimated.

Small and subtle is always easier to incorporate into the Realms than big and in your face. That's my 2 cp at least.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  02:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like small and subtle. I've always thought that that sort of thing was the best part of the Realms -- its focus on smaller areas, not necessarily world-changing in its scope. Notice that everyone's favorite characters are all like that. Most people have never heard of Drizzt, or Arilyn, or Alias. No need to have the ground shake under the weight of fame each time a character takes a step.

(Oh, and for a moment I'd thought you said Tiverton was nuked . . . I used to live there. Tiverton, RI.)

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  05:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admit, I really did not likr the 'triumphant' return of Shade. Talk about coming in with a bang. Tilverton gone, Cormyr, still reeling from the Ghazneth Crisis (you know Azoun and Tanalastra getting killed and most of the Purple Dragons slaughtered), gets smacked around some more. Waterdeep and the North gets frozen into a block of ice, and Evereska one of the last Elven lands on the continent get brought to the edge of destruction, and saved but catch 22 the mythal gets corrupted with Shadow Magic. Real subtle plot hole, I almost missed it, except it was glaringly obvious. All I can say is overkill; I mean literally Troy Denning has killed too many people in his books. Way too many. But, we're talking about Star Elves, aren't we?

I agree with Sage when he calls them a "fascinating addition to the world of FR". They definately add a new flavor to the Eastern Realms. Also, just so everyone is clear, the Star Elves aren't the only Elves who aren't native to Toril. All Elves are plane-hoppers, the others have just been here for a while so they aren't as foreign. But they're still not from here (the Realms), originally. If you're looking for source material the most recent is Races of Faerun, although it's been established they're not native to Toril since back in 2e.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  08:07:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with the premise of small and subtle. I think this is what makes FR distinctive among the rest of the campaign settings.

In fact I made every effort to tone down the effects of the return of Shade in my campaign. It wasn't easy, but the reward was that the distinctiveness of the Realms that I mentioned earlier remained intact.

And to answer Edain - Yes, actually I was aware of the fact that Elves are not native to Faerun, and I also believe (having read it somewhere???) that several other races are non-native as well.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  14:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Ahh, here they are, you may wish to discuss the Shade situation over here and maybe on this scroll too.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  15:29:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alaundo, I must have walked straight past the bookcases holding these scrolls. I was too busy reading Alaundo's Guide to All Things Mysterious .

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  05:06:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, Green Elves are indigenous to Faerun. Gold and Moon elves came from Faerie as per Elaine's Evermeet novel, and Copper elves (or Wood elves) have developed over time with the inter-mixing of Green elves and the newcomer elves. At least that's what Races of Faerun seems to be telling me ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  22:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to get all up in your face but refer to page 27 George. Paragraph two under the heading Racial History; "The first elves to arrive were the Sy-tel-quessir (green elves), the Sy-tel-quessir (lythari), and the Aril-tel-quessir (avariel)." The next arrivals were the Ar-tel-quessir (gold elves), Teu-tel-quessir (silver elves), and the Alu-tel-quessir (aquatic elves). However you are correct about the copper elves, they are native to Toril, having been created by the mixing of older elven bloodlines (pg.45 RoF). By the way, a while back I remember coming accross some reference to lythari in established material, but I cannot seem to find the reference right now, so if anyone knows of one, let me know.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  05:04:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, you are absolutely right Edain. I must confess I only skim read the elves section in RoF, concentrating on Eric's Human stuff. Serves me right!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  09:53:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am searching for your reference Edain. I remember reading that particular reference also, but there is nothing in the official material except what's listed in Races of Faerun. I'll keep checking, I know it is somewhere...

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  08:53:22  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just this new elf race make me want to buy Unapproachable East.
<zemd checks her purse, seeing it a little bit flat she grumbles>
I'll have to make party a little bit less
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:00:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is definitely worth it zemd. Two of my players chose Star Elves as PC's a short while after I purchased Unapproachable East. One chose a Bard class, the other a Sorcerer. Judging from their behaviour during role-playing sessions, they both seem to be having a lot of fun. They are both 7th level characters, although the Sorcerer Star Elf PC is about to join Sigil's Entropist Guild based out of Waterdeep in order to fulfill the requirements to gain the 'Order of the Dead' PrC (of the Dustmen faction from Planescape).

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jul 2003 09:31:54
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um . . . a Waterdeep guild operating out of Sigil? Huh? And how can there be a Planescape PrC if the 3e version hasn't come out yet?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:25:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHOOPS !!!.

That should have been 'Sigil's Entropist Guild operating out of Waterdeep'.

And as for the 'Order of the Dead' PrC, it was a class kit from 2e Planescape that some of the creators of 3e PS thought about converting and putting into the new edition. We spent several days brainstorming on the idea and eventually came up with this PrC.

In some of the preview release material I will soon send to you by ethereal mail, you will see what I am talking about.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, that clears it up.

(And I should have known you'd be one of the people working on the 3e PS project; I just hadn't thought about it . . . )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  10:04:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not so much as working on it. Many other notable and well-known Planescape fans (known at least in the general Planescape online community) have been hard at work on the actual setting. I (along with many other Planescape players) simply have provided ideas, some notes, and a few articles every now and then.

Actually if you are interested, I can send you (by ethereal mail) a general Planescape community production just recently released. It is a free ezine (mostly fluff) that serves as a great jumping off point for new players to the upcoming Planescape 3e.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  10:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly. That other one whet my appetite.

Too bad the Realms doesn't have more of this stuff in it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  10:18:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really all depends which DM is running your FR campaign. As you know my FR campaign has plenty of PS influence, and with the addition to FR of the Star Elves, that influence has become much easier to incorporate.

Also, you may find this link interesting, due to it's planar theme.

As for the ezine, I am sending the 'site for download' link now, just click on it, and it should start the download immediately.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000