Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 The cartoon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nokom Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 03:45:49
Anyone every saw this show? I think it comes on toon disney now at 6:30 eastern on sun day. I enjoy it. Post what you think.
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 21:05:29
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I totally want that comic, Wooly!

Check eBay. I saw a copy on there a few days ago... But remember what I said: the artwork is just plain bad!

True, but compared to comic book art of that era, it's not too far below par. I too enjoyed the comic in spite of the artwork. Until just now, it never dawned on me that the adventuring party were the kids grown up. I can't wait to get home and check that out!

That era? I was reading comics back then, and a lot of them had much better art. Even most of the DC/TSR stuff had better art than this one.
Xysma Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 20:18:32
I was completely addicted to this show, I've even got CD-R copies of each episode. I remember desperately wanting the figures. The only one I got was Warduke, who proceeded to kill all of my other figures except for Boba Fett, they usually ended up in a draw. I recently introduced a new friend to D&D, the Realms, and the D&D cartoon. Now he games with us on Wednesday and watches the cartoon every Sunday.
Xysma Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 20:10:54
quote:

quote:

Check eBay. I saw a copy on there a few days ago... But remember what I said: the artwork is just plain bad!

True, but compared to comic book art of that era, it's not too far below par. I too enjoyed the comic in spite of the artwork. Until just now, it never dawned on me that the adventuring party were the kids grown up. I can't wait to get home and check that out!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 04:19:49
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

And does anyone remember an issue of the _Forgotten Realms_ comic where the snotty Sun Elf cleric shows us how 'The Realms are _really_ run'? I thought that one was a hoot.

Vartan Hai Sylvar, and the "Everybody Wants to Rule the Realms" issue. It's one of the very last issues of the FR title. That and the "Lawyers!" issue of AD&D were the funniest of the comics.

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

And yes, I liked Sheila back in the day -- but the acrobat was the one who drew most of my attention.

Diana was the acrobat. Bobby was the barbarian, Hank was the archer, Eric was the cavalier, Presto was the wizard, and Sheila was the thief. Oh, and Uni the Unicorn.
GothicDan Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 00:58:39
A Sun Elf Cleric would know the best. ;)
Ardashir Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 00:45:55
quote:
As a side note, this topic is kinda-sorta Realms related. There's an old one-shot comic book called The Grand Tour. It features older versions of the kids (they're all grown up now; Bobby is huge, and Presto's sporting a goatee), drinking at the Old Skull while Presto approaches Elminster, seeking to become his apprentice. Elminster takes him on a quick tour of the Realms, allowing Presto to watch and help as El deals with various matters. Volo, Qilué, and Alias and Dragonbait all appear in the book, as does a gent who looks like Ed Greenwood.

In the end, they return to the Old Skull, with Presto finding out that not only does Elminster not take apprentices, but that he's got a lot to learn.

The plot is lame, and the artwork is bad -- in places, the characters look like they're in their forties and fifties. Their dialogue indicates a younger age, though. But it is a reappearence of the kids from the cartoon, and it is set in the Realms.

Oh, and when I was a kid myself, and the cartoon still aired on Saturday mornings, I had the hots for Sheila. She was cute, curvy, and sweet -- which is a deadly combination for just about any male, especially one just starting to realize that there was something intriguingly different about girls.

Hey, I've still got that comic! Really awful, but it had its moments.

And does anyone remember an issue of the _Forgotten Realms_ comic where the snotty Sun Elf cleric shows us how 'The Realms are _really_ run'? I thought that one was a hoot.

And yes, I liked Sheila back in the day -- but the acrobat was the one who drew most of my attention.
Kuje Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 17:26:38
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

Too cool! We're finally getting the DVDs over here!

Sounds like it. :) Then I'll probably pick this up cause I never saw the cartoon as a kid. :( Either it wasn't on my stations or I had no idea what it was.

I didn't know what D&D was, back then, other than that it was some kind of game. But I loved my Saturday morning cartoons!

Either did I really, which is a bit of a surprise because I was playing the old SSI games and reading the early FR and Dlance novels. I never knew there was more then those until I stepped into the gaming/hobby shop and saw box sets and sourcebooks, and that was when my addiction was born. :)
The Sage Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 17:24:36
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

Sounds like it. :) Then I'll probably pick this up cause I never saw the cartoon as a kid. :( Either it wasn't on my stations or I had no idea what it was.

I didn't know what D&D was, back then, other than that it was some kind of game. But I loved my Saturday morning cartoons!

Hehe... I had a fair idea about D&D when I first saw the cartoon itself... but I didn't know it as anything more than "those old game books on my uncle's shelf."

I loved the cartoon however, and it was always part of my Saturday morning routine of cartoon watching. It fell into my weekday routine as well, when the entire series was rerun a year later during weekday mornings.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 17:19:14
quote:

quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

Kuje Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 16:34:11
quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 16:16:00
quote:

D&D on DVD

GothicDan Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 06:49:47
quote:
The Flight of Dragons

OH MY GOD!

You know about that movie!

*Dies*

I love it!!
Kuje Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 06:41:54
Dungeons & Dragons: Search of Dungeon Master

and

Dungeons & Dragons (1983)

and

D&D on DVD

Someone fix my links? :)

Mod Edit: Done.
Jorkens Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 06:36:25
Your loss GothicDan. Well, then again maybe not, tastes differ.

I saw the D&D show as a kid, but I must admit that I cant remember much of it. I am afraid that if I saw it again it would be severely lacking in comparison with my memories. Then again the The Flight of Dragons was better when I finally found it again and other old shows like He-Man still have their slightly goofy entertainment value. It is still a little irritating that the less children's friendly follow-up series never got over the script stage.

GothicDan Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 06:14:03
Pft. Artwork. *Scoffs* I've never really actually read comics much, myself.. I'd read it just for the "teehee!" factor. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 06:13:03
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Scererar fondly remembers the saturday morning cartoons and wishes for that magical bow.... or maybe the wizards hat that always produced something other than intended

I think I'd still rather have Sheila, assuming she's grown up and now legal.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 06:12:19
quote:

scererar Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 05:42:02
Scererar fondly remembers the saturday morning cartoons and wishes for that magical bow.... or maybe the wizards hat that always produced something other than intended
GothicDan Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 05:28:45
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 04:25:50
quote:

And I've never played the game myself, but someone once told me that in the Baldur's Gate game, a portrait of the kids appears on the wall of a shop.

More specifically, two such D&D cartoon pictures are hanging in the back of the Adventure Mart, in Baldur's Gate 2. If I recall correctly, there's a little note by the pictures saying that all the kids (and the little pony sidekick, or whatever) died horribly.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 04:10:23
I used to love the cartoon, myself. I know it's available on DVD, but I think it's only available in Europe. Whimper!

As a side note, this topic is kinda-sorta Realms related. There's an old one-shot comic book called The Grand Tour. It features older versions of the kids (they're all grown up now; Bobby is huge, and Presto's sporting a goatee), drinking at the Old Skull while Presto approaches Elminster, seeking to become his apprentice. Elminster takes him on a quick tour of the Realms, allowing Presto to watch and help as El deals with various matters. Volo, Qilué, and Alias and Dragonbait all appear in the book, as does a gent who looks like Ed Greenwood.

In the end, they return to the Old Skull, with Presto finding out that not only does Elminster not take apprentices, but that he's got a lot to learn.

The plot is lame, and the artwork is bad -- in places, the characters look like they're in their forties and fifties. Their dialogue indicates a younger age, though. But it is a reappearence of the kids from the cartoon, and it is set in the Realms.

The comic pops up frequently on eBay, often for $10 or less.

And I've never played the game myself, but someone once told me that in the Baldur's Gate game, a portrait of the kids appears on the wall of a shop.

Oh, and when I was a kid myself, and the cartoon still aired on Saturday mornings, I had the hots for Sheila. She was cute, curvy, and sweet -- which is a deadly combination for just about any male, especially one just starting to realize that there was something intriguingly different about girls.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000