Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 The cartoon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  03:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone every saw this show? I think it comes on toon disney now at 6:30 eastern on sun day. I enjoy it. Post what you think.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  04:10:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to love the cartoon, myself. I know it's available on DVD, but I think it's only available in Europe. Whimper!

As a side note, this topic is kinda-sorta Realms related. There's an old one-shot comic book called The Grand Tour. It features older versions of the kids (they're all grown up now; Bobby is huge, and Presto's sporting a goatee), drinking at the Old Skull while Presto approaches Elminster, seeking to become his apprentice. Elminster takes him on a quick tour of the Realms, allowing Presto to watch and help as El deals with various matters. Volo, Qilué, and Alias and Dragonbait all appear in the book, as does a gent who looks like Ed Greenwood.

In the end, they return to the Old Skull, with Presto finding out that not only does Elminster not take apprentices, but that he's got a lot to learn.

The plot is lame, and the artwork is bad -- in places, the characters look like they're in their forties and fifties. Their dialogue indicates a younger age, though. But it is a reappearence of the kids from the cartoon, and it is set in the Realms.

The comic pops up frequently on eBay, often for $10 or less.

And I've never played the game myself, but someone once told me that in the Baldur's Gate game, a portrait of the kids appears on the wall of a shop.

Oh, and when I was a kid myself, and the cartoon still aired on Saturday mornings, I had the hots for Sheila. She was cute, curvy, and sweet -- which is a deadly combination for just about any male, especially one just starting to realize that there was something intriguingly different about girls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Aug 2006 04:12:46
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  04:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And I've never played the game myself, but someone once told me that in the Baldur's Gate game, a portrait of the kids appears on the wall of a shop.

More specifically, two such D&D cartoon pictures are hanging in the back of the Adventure Mart, in Baldur's Gate 2. If I recall correctly, there's a little note by the pictures saying that all the kids (and the little pony sidekick, or whatever) died horribly.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  05:28:45  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally want that comic, Wooly!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  05:42:02  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scererar fondly remembers the saturday morning cartoons and wishes for that magical bow.... or maybe the wizards hat that always produced something other than intended
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  06:12:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Check eBay. I saw a copy on there a few days ago... But remember what I said: the artwork is just plain bad!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  06:13:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Scererar fondly remembers the saturday morning cartoons and wishes for that magical bow.... or maybe the wizards hat that always produced something other than intended

I think I'd still rather have Sheila, assuming she's grown up and now legal.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  06:14:03  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pft. Artwork. *Scoffs* I've never really actually read comics much, myself.. I'd read it just for the "teehee!" factor. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  06:36:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your loss GothicDan. Well, then again maybe not, tastes differ.

I saw the D&D show as a kid, but I must admit that I cant remember much of it. I am afraid that if I saw it again it would be severely lacking in comparison with my memories. Then again the The Flight of Dragons was better when I finally found it again and other old shows like He-Man still have their slightly goofy entertainment value. It is still a little irritating that the less children's friendly follow-up series never got over the script stage.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  06:41:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeons & Dragons: Search of Dungeon Master

and

Dungeons & Dragons (1983)

and

D&D on DVD

Someone fix my links? :)

Mod Edit: Done.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2006 13:42:31
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  06:49:47  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Flight of Dragons

OH MY GOD!

You know about that movie!

*Dies*

I love it!!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  16:16:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

D&D on DVD

Too cool! We're finally getting the DVDs over here!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  16:34:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

Sounds like it. :) Then I'll probably pick this up cause I never saw the cartoon as a kid. :( Either it wasn't on my stations or I had no idea what it was.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  17:19:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

Sounds like it. :) Then I'll probably pick this up cause I never saw the cartoon as a kid. :( Either it wasn't on my stations or I had no idea what it was.

I didn't know what D&D was, back then, other than that it was some kind of game. But I loved my Saturday morning cartoons!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  17:24:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

I didn't know what D&D was, back then, other than that it was some kind of game. But I loved my Saturday morning cartoons!

Hehe... I had a fair idea about D&D when I first saw the cartoon itself... but I didn't know it as anything more than "those old game books on my uncle's shelf."

I loved the cartoon however, and it was always part of my Saturday morning routine of cartoon watching. It fell into my weekday routine as well, when the entire series was rerun a year later during weekday mornings.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2006 17:25:49
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  17:26:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

D&D on DVD

Either did I really, which is a bit of a surprise because I was playing the old SSI games and reading the early FR and Dlance novels. I never knew there was more then those until I stepped into the gaming/hobby shop and saw box sets and sourcebooks, and that was when my addiction was born. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  00:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As a side note, this topic is kinda-sorta Realms related. There's an old one-shot comic book called The Grand Tour. It features older versions of the kids (they're all grown up now; Bobby is huge, and Presto's sporting a goatee), drinking at the Old Skull while Presto approaches Elminster, seeking to become his apprentice. Elminster takes him on a quick tour of the Realms, allowing Presto to watch and help as El deals with various matters. Volo, Qilué, and Alias and Dragonbait all appear in the book, as does a gent who looks like Ed Greenwood.

In the end, they return to the Old Skull, with Presto finding out that not only does Elminster not take apprentices, but that he's got a lot to learn.

The plot is lame, and the artwork is bad -- in places, the characters look like they're in their forties and fifties. Their dialogue indicates a younger age, though. But it is a reappearence of the kids from the cartoon, and it is set in the Realms.

Oh, and when I was a kid myself, and the cartoon still aired on Saturday mornings, I had the hots for Sheila. She was cute, curvy, and sweet -- which is a deadly combination for just about any male, especially one just starting to realize that there was something intriguingly different about girls.

Hey, I've still got that comic! Really awful, but it had its moments.

And does anyone remember an issue of the _Forgotten Realms_ comic where the snotty Sun Elf cleric shows us how 'The Realms are _really_ run'? I thought that one was a hoot.

And yes, I liked Sheila back in the day -- but the acrobat was the one who drew most of my attention.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  00:58:39  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Sun Elf Cleric would know the best. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  04:19:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

And does anyone remember an issue of the _Forgotten Realms_ comic where the snotty Sun Elf cleric shows us how 'The Realms are _really_ run'? I thought that one was a hoot.

Vartan Hai Sylvar, and the "Everybody Wants to Rule the Realms" issue. It's one of the very last issues of the FR title. That and the "Lawyers!" issue of AD&D were the funniest of the comics.

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

And yes, I liked Sheila back in the day -- but the acrobat was the one who drew most of my attention.

Diana was the acrobat. Bobby was the barbarian, Hank was the archer, Eric was the cavalier, Presto was the wizard, and Sheila was the thief. Oh, and Uni the Unicorn.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  20:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Check eBay. I saw a copy on there a few days ago... But remember what I said: the artwork is just plain bad!

True, but compared to comic book art of that era, it's not too far below par. I too enjoyed the comic in spite of the artwork. Until just now, it never dawned on me that the adventuring party were the kids grown up. I can't wait to get home and check that out!

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  20:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was completely addicted to this show, I've even got CD-R copies of each episode. I remember desperately wanting the figures. The only one I got was Warduke, who proceeded to kill all of my other figures except for Boba Fett, they usually ended up in a draw. I recently introduced a new friend to D&D, the Realms, and the D&D cartoon. Now he games with us on Wednesday and watches the cartoon every Sunday.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  21:05:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

quote:

True, but compared to comic book art of that era, it's not too far below par. I too enjoyed the comic in spite of the artwork. Until just now, it never dawned on me that the adventuring party were the kids grown up. I can't wait to get home and check that out!

That era? I was reading comics back then, and a lot of them had much better art. Even most of the DC/TSR stuff had better art than this one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000