Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Is Spiderclimb a forbidden spell in Menzo?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gellion Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 06:11:41
Hehe, Okay I just thought of this. Would the spell Spiderclimb be outlawed by the Priestesses in Menzoberranzan and other Lolth worhsipping cities? Since its material component is a live spider which must be eaten in order for the spell to work.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GothicDan Posted - 09 Aug 2006 : 03:00:23
Lolth would TOTALLY do that. ;)
Zanan Posted - 08 Aug 2006 : 09:39:08
... or maybe the Dark Mother repays anyone using a spider climb spell a thousandfold once they meet her in person.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 08 Aug 2006 : 08:41:42
Maybe when drow cast Spider Climb they have to swallow the spider whole. If Lolth approves of their use of the spell then the spider doesn't eat its way out of your stomach.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Aug 2006 : 05:50:52
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

My vote would be for just about any other wall crawling insect to be used for a material component . . . in fact, now that I think about it, they may even eat little tiny sucker footed lizards as a material component, given how much the drow seem to use lizards for mounts, etc.

Lizard egg jelly, on toast.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Aug 2006 : 04:12:16
My vote would be for just about any other wall crawling insect to be used for a material component . . . in fact, now that I think about it, they may even eat little tiny sucker footed lizards as a material component, given how much the drow seem to use lizards for mounts, etc.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 19:13:28
then would it be technically used up for the spell?

and if a drow priestess of lolth summoned a spider to use for the spell, would it be from the Demonweb Pits?
sleyvas Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 19:10:20
the second it dies, it disappears.
Wenin Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 18:41:34
What would happen to a summoned creature that you ate? =)
Kentinal Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 17:35:06
Well perhaps eat a summoned spider, after it dies it returns to where is was summoned from and is alive.

More likely another component is used.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 17:25:53
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So why wouldn't that apply to a spider being stepped on?

I would think that it matters how and why it happened (killing the spider that is) in my humble opinion

if a priestess was just beign careless than it's her fault (no excuse for ignorance or carelessness)...if it was a male drow then I bet there is no excuse...but if a drow priestess was starving out in the wilds of the Underdark could she eat a spider (especially if she hunted it down first)?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 17:17:41
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

but then again, even though spiders are sacred to the drow, the drow alos believe in the survival of the fittest and a little spider that was slow or stupid enough to get caught for the use of the spell may deserve being swallowed

So why wouldn't that apply to a spider being stepped on?
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 14:00:43
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

... Or maybe they just use a different material component?

exactly

but then again, even though spiders are sacred to the drow, the drow alos believe in the survival of the fittest and a little spider that was slow or stupid enough to get caught for the use of the spell may deserve being swallowed
Wandering_mage Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 12:28:13
That would be awkward. Lemme just eat this spider to get this spell going for you Valas. Excuse me Quethel -Gulp!- If my Elven mage ever gets to Menzo I am definitely stepping on some spiders. I'll let you know if I survive the deed.
warlockco Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 10:39:29
Spider Climb was cast by the Mizzrym mage on Valas during the War of the Spider Queen series, and this was in front of Quenthel too. But I think different components was used too.
GothicDan Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 10:13:51
... Or maybe they just use a different material component?
Inaubryn Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 09:59:30
Well, the drow house insignia does list spider climb as one of the possible spells. And I've heard of drow usin' spider climb. Perhaps, takin' onthe characteristics of a spider pleases Lolth so much that she overlooks you swallowin' a spider to do it. *shrugs*
khorne Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 08:16:17
Definitely. I can`t imagine a spell like that being allowed in the Spider Queen`s stronghold.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000