Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Is Spiderclimb a forbidden spell in Menzo?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  06:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hehe, Okay I just thought of this. Would the spell Spiderclimb be outlawed by the Priestesses in Menzoberranzan and other Lolth worhsipping cities? Since its material component is a live spider which must be eaten in order for the spell to work.

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  08:16:17  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely. I can`t imagine a spell like that being allowed in the Spider Queen`s stronghold.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Inaubryn
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  09:59:30  Show Profile Send Inaubryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the drow house insignia does list spider climb as one of the possible spells. And I've heard of drow usin' spider climb. Perhaps, takin' onthe characteristics of a spider pleases Lolth so much that she overlooks you swallowin' a spider to do it. *shrugs*
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  10:13:51  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... Or maybe they just use a different material component?

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  10:39:29  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spider Climb was cast by the Mizzrym mage on Valas during the War of the Spider Queen series, and this was in front of Quenthel too. But I think different components was used too.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  12:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be awkward. Lemme just eat this spider to get this spell going for you Valas. Excuse me Quethel -Gulp!- If my Elven mage ever gets to Menzo I am definitely stepping on some spiders. I'll let you know if I survive the deed.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  14:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

... Or maybe they just use a different material component?

exactly

but then again, even though spiders are sacred to the drow, the drow alos believe in the survival of the fittest and a little spider that was slow or stupid enough to get caught for the use of the spell may deserve being swallowed

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  17:17:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

but then again, even though spiders are sacred to the drow, the drow alos believe in the survival of the fittest and a little spider that was slow or stupid enough to get caught for the use of the spell may deserve being swallowed

So why wouldn't that apply to a spider being stepped on?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  17:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So why wouldn't that apply to a spider being stepped on?

I would think that it matters how and why it happened (killing the spider that is) in my humble opinion

if a priestess was just beign careless than it's her fault (no excuse for ignorance or carelessness)...if it was a male drow then I bet there is no excuse...but if a drow priestess was starving out in the wilds of the Underdark could she eat a spider (especially if she hunted it down first)?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  17:35:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well perhaps eat a summoned spider, after it dies it returns to where is was summoned from and is alive.

More likely another component is used.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  18:41:34  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What would happen to a summoned creature that you ate? =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  19:10:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the second it dies, it disappears.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  19:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
then would it be technically used up for the spell?

and if a drow priestess of lolth summoned a spider to use for the spell, would it be from the Demonweb Pits?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  04:12:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote would be for just about any other wall crawling insect to be used for a material component . . . in fact, now that I think about it, they may even eat little tiny sucker footed lizards as a material component, given how much the drow seem to use lizards for mounts, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  05:50:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

My vote would be for just about any other wall crawling insect to be used for a material component . . . in fact, now that I think about it, they may even eat little tiny sucker footed lizards as a material component, given how much the drow seem to use lizards for mounts, etc.

Lizard egg jelly, on toast.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  08:41:42  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe when drow cast Spider Climb they have to swallow the spider whole. If Lolth approves of their use of the spell then the spider doesn't eat its way out of your stomach.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  09:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... or maybe the Dark Mother repays anyone using a spider climb spell a thousandfold once they meet her in person.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 08 Aug 2006 09:39:43
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:00:23  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth would TOTALLY do that. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000