Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Harper Pins

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uzzy Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 05:37:22
Just a quick question about the Physical Characteristics of Harper Pins.

Is there any mention of how big one is? The weight is given as negilible, so im guessing that its rather small. Does it have any magical protections against being discovered from a pat-down, or do we just have to rely on its small size?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alisttair Posted - 16 Aug 2006 : 01:29:04
So I would guess maybe a Spot check DC 20 (at least) to notice a concealed pin (depending on how well concealed) and maybe 10 or 15 for one that is showing?
The Sage Posted - 16 Aug 2006 : 00:56:29
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It is very posible that the pin is two or more different sizes. The emblem and ability of the pin more likely more important.
Indeed. I'd considered this myself, especially with regard to the differences between the lesser and greater Harper pins as noted in MoF. While I don't think there would be too much difference in the relative sizes of both types of pins, some degree of size difference, along with the differences in powers for both pins and their make-ups, would make it easier for Harpers to, visually, determine which is which.
Kentinal Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 18:38:50
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

is there a picture of a harper wearing their pin you can reference and use as perspective for size? And that everyone will agree on that it is the right size?

Well search gave me two posible images where a harper pin might be displayed. I lack the grahic tools to enlarge the images without distortion.

http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/Default.aspx?doc=fr_heroesofspellfire

The cover of Spellfire which I infer is picturing two harpers.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frgr/20040326a

"Harper Agent Set 4 Card 10: Expansion" that pictures a harper I infer.

I could not see a pin on either of these images.

Kalin Agrivar Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 18:17:49
is there a picture of a harper wearing their pin you can reference and use as perspective for size? And that everyone will agree on that it is the right size?
Kentinal Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 18:12:12
I have been thinking about this, also did some searches for an official size with no luck.

It is very posible that the pin is two or more different sizes. The emblem and ability of the pin more likely more important.

Some pins are very small IRL, I have collar pins that are less then an inch in length or width.

Also I am not sure a cion would be as large as two inchs, but base metal applies. Coins are 50 to the pound the density of the metal effects how large a coin would be. Thickness of the coin of course also a factor. A copper coin might be fatter then silver or gold to achive a standard diameter. If all coins have the same diameter one needs to calculate a reasonable demessions of the coin that has the highest density that is thick enough not to bend or break apart.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 17:37:22
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd say it's about the size of a coin... Maybe two inches in diameter, if that. As for physically finding it, if nothing says the pin is magically hidden, then I'd assume it isn't. Keep in mind that in the beginning of Elfsong, Danilo placed Arilyn's hand on his hidden Harper pin, as a way to remind her of their mission.

Allow me to correct myself: it was the short story "The Bargain", in Realms of Valor (and assumably in the Best of Elaine). My brain wasn't fully engaged yet when I typed that post.
The Sage Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 16:17:54
An inch-and-a-half to about two-inches in diameter seems reasonable, for the most part. They're not flashy or decorative pieces of jewelry, so I'd assume that the actual size of a Harper pin reflects that nature.

MoF references them as "brooches", which again hints at a relatively small size.
Kajehase Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 16:10:58
In Cormyr: A Novel, the Harper/tavern dancer keep hers in a locket (she opens the locket to show it to Vangerdahast).
scererar Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 15:08:04
the old harper novels series has many references. I have always imaged them as small, maybe an inch or two in diameter.
Ergdusch Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 14:30:28
In my game it is similar to pins you can get from all kinds of organisations, schools, universities, ensurance comp. ect. It comes in different sizes, not bigger than 5cm, diffenent colors, shapes and motives, sometimes with ribbons or without, can be worn anywhere (pinned to vest, hat, under the collar of one's cape) so either openly or hidden.

I have not found an official source that specifies the size or the looks.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 11:14:11
I'd say it's about the size of a coin... Maybe two inches in diameter, if that. As for physically finding it, if nothing says the pin is magically hidden, then I'd assume it isn't. Keep in mind that in the beginning of Elfsong, Danilo placed Arilyn's hand on his hidden Harper pin, as a way to remind her of their mission.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 09:23:41
'tis a pin. To me that means maybe a width of maybe 3 cm and the same height... something that can be noticed but also hidden
Uzzy Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 09:20:11
Looked there too, nothing on size or any physical protections. Ah well..

Kuje Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 06:03:12
Magic of Faerun has the 3e harper pins.
Uzzy Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 05:55:53
Looked there.

It mentions that you cant find one via a spell, but theres nothing on if you can find it physically. I would be surprised if there wasnt some enchantment to at least make it difficult to find via a pat-down, considering the amount of protection thats on one against magical discovery.
The Sage Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 05:44:44
I don't think its ever been specifically referenced how big a Harper Pin actually is. Though Elaine mentioned their size being "small" back in Elfshadow, as I recall.

For the powers of the Harper Pin, see Code of the Harpers.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000